• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo's Counterattack Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you're right. According to Serebii, the sceeenplay is by Shudo. The screenplay is probably just inspired by his original screenplay for Mewtwo Strikes Back though.

Given how a lot of franchises have been taking concept art and re purposing it (See the Star Wars series like Rebels, where the designs for characters like Chopper and Zeb are based on early designs for R2 and Chewbacca), it's also possible they might be using an earlier script than the one we got.

If the film is going to be full blown CG, as long as the animation quality doesn’t reach Berserk (2016) levels of bad then I’ll be somewhat intrigued.

It would be a shame if the 2D animation directors we all know and love wouldn’t be involved but I’ll just wait and see how this goes.

Intresting director too with Motonori Sakakibara (looking from the IMDB page) mostly known for directing that long forgotten Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within movie as well as working on OLM’s other CG film Rudolf the Black Cat and as a movie director for the cutscenes of both Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII.

Probably using some of what Shudo wrote, like how he got a writing credit for M20 because the early part was largely based on the first episode. Becasuse I know I'd lose all interest if this was a remake with different animation and I'm sure I'm not alone.

There just better not be any deus-ex-mahcina magic resurrection tears and/or Mewtwo pressing the Reset Button of the Gods and/or blathering on like Super Hamlet...

Probably using some of what Shudo wrote, like how he got a writing credit for M20 because the early part was largely based on the first episode. Becasuse I know I'd lose all interest if this was a remake with different animation and I'm sure I'm not alone.
He only got partial credit for Movie 20. No other script writer has been mentioned yet for this movie.

Of course, many pieces of Shudo's work slapped together would make the movie "Written by Takeshi Shudo", but everything is pointing towards a very faitful remake.

This means that Meltan, Melmetal and a Gen8 Pokemon will not get starring roles, but they could still get cameos.

At least we will see Misty and Brock again.

I'm very curious about how the trainers will look like, as I don't even find the Smash bros. Trainers' look satisfying for a movie.

FYI, Pixar's Toy Story 4 is also set to come out in Japan on July 12th, 2019. Its predecessor was able to stay in the Top 3 of the Japanese box office at least eight weeks in a row back in 2010.
Assuming you mean the movie will make less money because of that...Both the recycled script and the CGI will lower the movie's costs, so it will need less money to break even. And many adults will be interested in the movie too because nostalgia and whatever.

By the way, that means there's a chance that both Pokemon movies will be playing in Japan at the same time, right?

They'll only be two months apart, so yes.

By the way, there could be a new Pikachu short (probably not a remake, lol) to promote Meltan/Melmetal and any other new stuff. Donphan-like cameos are also possible.

It's really interesting to take a step back and look at what all they revealed yesterday:
  1. The movie's title (which we knew back in July)
  2. A release date (which we could have inferred based on previous years' release dates)
  3. A single screenshot of a CG rendered Mewtwo
  4. A director credit of the guy who directed Movie 1
  5. A second director credit of a guy known primarily for doing CG films
  6. A single writing credit for a guy who's been dead for eight years
And, conspicuously,
  1. No teaser trailer
  2. No movie poster
  3. No movie logo
It's very clear that they want us to entertain the idea that this is going to be a CG remake of Movie 1.

Of course it's not going to be since there's a 0.00000% chance that this movie won't be one giant ad for Gen 8. And even if this does end up being a straight-up retelling of the first movie that follows Mr. Shudo's script word-for-word they'll still need to bring someone in to write those extra Gen 8 promotional bits. But they obviously don't want to (aren't allowed?) to reveal any of that at this moment and so they're cheekily dropping breadcrumbs leading in one direction so that they can shock us with a big reveal in March or whenever. This is all very calculated.

We don't know if there is a short, which could accommodate a new Pokemon or two; the movie not following suit would have zero effect on sales. And with there being another, probably bigger movie this year, things don't have to be business as usual. To say anything with certainty is going too far.

If Shudo isn't the primary scriptwriter, then what they're doing now is disrespectful. They had no problem alluding to Movie 20 having new content from the get-go, and they only gave Shudo partial credit when all was said and done.

I thought that they normally don't reveal a teaser trailer until February or March, but I might be mixing that up with the second poster reveal. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't allowed to provide more details about the movie at this point because of any eighth generation promotion it could have. While the past two movies have featured older Legendary Pokemon, they still featured new Pokemon like Marshadow and Zeraora. Their options for featuring new Pokemon would be more limited to just Meltan and Melmetal if they didn't have eighth generation Pokemon featured in the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom