• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo's Counterattack Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
The humans look pretty terrible but the Pokemon and backgrounds look fine. I really hate Ash's face, it looks like from one of those western kid CG shows. Misty's eyes are way too far apart and makes her look duckfaced, (maybe that's the intention with Psyduck?) and Brock just looks too short. Besides that I hate the "claymation" feel to the humans, it's hard to describe.

I feel bad we're missing out on a SM/Alola themed movie for the current cast rather than what looks to be a poor nostalgic cash grab that looks inferior to the original 1998 movie in every way.

I must be the only person who thinks Pikachu looks massively off facial-wise. He looks like he's pouting his damn eyes at some points.

Yep, still not feeling it with some of the humans I gotten tell y'all: Misty's too derpy looking with her eye placement and Ash's face makes him look like a damn monkey.

Brock is looking a bit better and Team Rocket is okay.

I feel bad we're missing out on a SM/Alola themed movie for the current cast rather than what looks to be a poor nostalgic cash grab that looks inferior to the original 1998 movie in every way.
If they'd wanted to have an Alola movie, chances are that they wouldn't have bothered with most of the Necrozma and UB episodes. There would have been more fillers as a result.

After 21 years, they needed to experiment with a CGI movie - and it's up to kids to determine the success of this move. Remaking a classic movie makes sense (see Disney); I am not sure why it's okay for games but not movies.

I really doubt that they would have gone for a SM/Alola themed movie even if they didn't remake the first movie. Since they didn't do a SM movie even after I Choose You, the chances were pretty good that they would still do something different for this movie. Plus, I'm not sure what they could have done for a movie featuring the SM cast. They already featured most of the Ultra Beats in the series and the only other seventh generation Pokemon that they could have been used in a movie was Meltan. I can understand being disappointed that we don't get a movie featuring the SM cast and I'm still mixed on this remake myself, but I really don't think we would have gotten a SM movie if they didn't choose to remake the first movie.

I don't know if it will be inferior to the original movie either. I still kind of like the idea of TPCI using this to basically redub the original movie, but without upsetting fans of the original cast in the process. As someone who never saw the original version of the first movie, that would help to make it more interesting, although I don't know how TPCI will handle the dub for this movie either.

Everything looks like it's made of plastic.

This looks awful to me. At least we're getting a new version of Kaze to Issho ni out of it, I'd like to see that lead into a new Type Wild.

Has anyone noticed that TPCi has been retweeting these movie trailers? They did it again today. What are they planning?

Yep......
Definitely not gonna bother with this one -_-

If I want to watch the Mewtwo movie, I'll watch the Mewtwo movie. It being computer animated changes nothing.

Though I just KNOW it'll make a lot of money because of people going into the theater wearing nostalgia goggles...:(

Last edited:
Games tend to have more entertainment value and are usually not a complete 1:1 remake.
Not to mention the diminishing returns of a shot for shot remake, many people who loved the original will not watch a shot for shot remake, because they can still go and watch the original. Even if its done in a different style, the new style will likely remove half the original audience because they won't like it. A shot for shot remake is one of the riskiest moves in filmmaking, and is usually not attempted. It's the reason why most do not attempt shot for shot remakes. I think this will make money, but not as much as the original, because of one reason, the bane of all shot for shot remakes: "Why would i go to the theaters to watch the first movie again, when I can just watch the original."

"Why would i go to the theaters to watch the first movie again, when I can just watch the original."
Especially when it looks worse than the original despite being made with technology over two decades more advanced than that which made the original. Literally nobody asked for a shot for shot remake of a movie that really only holds up through nostalgia, especially following in the footsteps of The Power of Us, one of if not the best Pokémon movie ever made. The fact that the movie looks awful on top of this just makes it all the more disappointing that they're doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom