• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo's Counterattack Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The implication that the subbed premiere of a rehash of an incredibly overrated movie with mediocre CGI is more important than new core games
Image result for sure jan gif

I feel like we're also supposed to care that people at this special premiere event will hear Ichimura's take on Mewtwo, but to them it'll be just another Japanese voice actor saying some lines.

To be fair the mainline games have been declining in quality since Gen 6... also no one said this was more important news, just that it's also news!

Plus it's very much not a rehash to people who have only ever seen the 4Kids dub. The original version is quite the different experience even if the foundation is the same. It also speaks to possibilities it opens up-- if this event is successful/popular, who's to say they won't do the same with next year's film? Or that it could eventually lead to some kind of official sub release?

The film itself does seem kind of lackluster at the moment (and I would be lying if I said the art style was appealing) but the significance of this event is definitely noteworthy.

Mewtwo Returns is getting a serialized manga adaptation in CoroCoro Special. It will start on June 28th, but there is no snippet (only for this movie's adaptation). It's handled by the same mangaka, so expect the same art style (which is nice). I wish The Birth of Mewtwo would get the same treatment. Also, here's an illustration for the movie:

If I understand correctly, more mangakas will honor the movie via illustrations.

@Dogasu

Last edited:
I will say this though: as reductive as this movie is, I'm surprised and also relived that the promoters didn't milk Mewtwo that much this time around. I mean, I remember Mewtwo being the focus of literally every piece of promotional material and marketing for the 16th film, yet here the emphasis on Mewtwo hasn't been nearly as extensive as that imo.

a. I think the original Japanese version of the anime (even if it is this 3DCG remake of a movie than really cannot be improved) getting airtime in the US is AWESOME! Yes it's just one screening for Otakus blah blah, so what?! It's better than nothing!! Is anyone from this forum going to be there so they can bring back the low-down for the rest of us?

b. Why is no one talking about this?!

I love the artstyle in that drawing...not sure how well it would translate into animation but I wish they had went with something similar.

The new version of Together with the Wind is nice, I really hope it makes its way into the tv series as an insert song!

I like the new version. It's the first time I can appreciate Shoko's voice.

But come to think of it, Mayumi Iizuka singing a duet with Sachiko Kibayashi would have been a lovely nod to the very first trailer.

New Voyager/Miranda with visible lips.
View attachment 119938

Source: Adamant, Serebii Forums.
It amazes me that no matter how awful a character model in this thing looks they always manage to show me one that's worse. I hate to be so harsh on something that somebody worked hard on, but when your product looks objectively worse than its over-2-decade-old predecessor something is really wrong. It's not that I want this movie to fail, but I really don't want them to attempt a 3D movie again if this is what it's going to look like.

New Voyager/Miranda with visible lips.
View attachment 119938

Source: Adamant, Serebii Forums.
The more that I see of these characters, the more I question just what the Hell they were thinking? I have yet to see a human character with this style that actually looks good. They all just end up looking so soulless and plastic looking more like dolls than people.

This is movie just looks terrible

I don’t know people just lump 3DGC hate all together because this movie

Dragon quest everyone story 3DGC looks way better

This just looks garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom