• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo's Counterattack Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution .aka Miyamoto: the Dream is Dead Evolution.

:cry:

After watching the new trailer I feel like even though the Pokémon models look great, the animation for them looks kinda... not so good. Funnily enough, I think that while the human characters don't look super great, they feel better animated, somehow.

While I think that the movie is worse without Amber, I can see the rationale. Does any movie start with a sad death scene other than Kanzenban Movie 1? I can't think of any, which leads me to believe that they want to restrict that kind of scenes to endings. Even Aaron's sacrifice was only detailed in the ending of Movie 8. Granted, they could have slightly changed the remake in such a way that Mewtwo only has glimpse flashbacks until he retains his memory in the ending. But then for better or worse, Shudo chose not to grant Mewtwo that even in the sequel. Amber has affected Mewtwo subconsciously.

I'd be pissed if they hadn't referenced her, but they did. Now what they should do is bundle the home release with the radio drama, Movie 1 and Mewtwo Returns.

The other advantage of Amber not being in it is that it means that she's safe from the wonky 3D modelling that made Voyager look so terrible.

So the movie is pretty much the same and some cultural references were made more generic. But I still felt some nostalgia reading through Pokebeach's article. Is it bad that I want some of the dub score to return?

However, I still have my doubts if the movie was worth it as it seems it doesn't have anything new to say. It feels like we're having a gap year in movies, and very long gap year as we've known the title and the basic details since last July. Its resources could have gone to something more creative.

So the movie is pretty much the same and some cultural references were made more generic. But I still felt some nostalgia reading through Pokebeach's article. Is it bad that I want some of the dub score to return?

However, I still have my doubts if the movie was worth it as it seems it doesn't have anything new to say. It feels like we're having a gap year in movies, and very long gap year as we've known the title and the basic details since last July. Its resources could have gone to something more creative.
I'm hoping the dub just retains the Japanese score if anything, though I'd prefer reusing movie 1's dub stuff over Ed Goldfarb's usual pap.

I wonder too if TPCI would be able to get the original Mewtwo back. He was apparently a pain to work with on the original film, which is why he didn't return for Mewtwo Returns (and he's admitted to this), but he seemed to have mellowed out quite a bit in the last interview he had about it.

Oh, man, if they got back Jay Goede (I still don't know how to pronounce that surname) so many people would flip.

I'm sad Birth of Mewtwo didn't get an adaptation, but if Amber's existence is acknowledged that makes it an easier pill to swallow. The movie resonated with me even without it way back when I saw it on VHS, so it's not that big of a deal.

However, I still have my doubts if the movie was worth it as it seems it doesn't have anything new to say.
It is one of the few movies that had something to say to begin with. With Shudo being dead, there was only so much they could have added to the script. And you just know that heavier changes probably wouldn't have been good, be they about Armored Mewtwo, a random mythical or Dynamax.

As for it being worth it, that depends on whether you're a kid who hasn't seen the original movie, a fan who wants to relive the first Pokemon movie experience, or just someone curious about 3DCG. Just because BMGf doesn't represent the target audience doesn't mean much.

So, judging by those early reviews, there is no Gen VII or VIII references, right?

so it what I thought it pretty much the original movie with a cgi make-over the epitome of laziness god I hope they are not considering remaking all the other movies from power of one onward not even they are that pathetic are they? what I liked about I choose you and power of one is they were fresh takes on old ideas I was hoping for something anything! different in this one beside just cgi so much for that.

Image result for yikes gif

I dunno maybe it's just me but I've always found the first Pokemon movie's death scene to be really overrated. Like, it involved four rather underdeveloped lab experiments dying and in the end their deaths didn't even play a part in the main plot of the movie since Mewtwo just kinda forgot about them. At least the deaths in those two Pixar masterpieces played a part in influencing the main characters of those movies.

“Finding Nemo” and “Up” start rather tragically, if they count as examples. And those are movies for children.
I'm trying to understand OLM's point of view here, so those examples don't quite count. At the end of the day, Shudo only had a chance to flesh out Mewtwo's backstory in the radio drama, presumably because OLM didn't want too much sadness right at the start of a dark prologue. The home release is a different story because it's for people who want to delve more into the movie. Hopefully history will repeat itself.

Or it might not be related to the sadness so much as the length of the prologue. The opening song starts more than 20 minutes into the full movie.

Has there been a track listing/way to listen to previews of tracks like previous years? I know the soundtrack releases officially later this month but I'd love to get an idea of what some of the pieces are!

My opinion: This is just going to be the same bloody movie again but with cheap (shot-for-shot) CGI animation. No new voice acting, no new elements, no nothing.

If an English dub is possible, recycle the 4Kids dub audio from both the original dub and the Uncut Story DVD extra and call it a day (unless lawsuits happen) or create a new dub (It's possible they may have got the rights to the songs cleared up while purchasing them from Warner). If the later, we could see Polite Mewtwo in English or due to the Genesent controversy, retain Evil Mewtwo.

If an English dub is possible, recycle the 4Kids dub audio from both the original dub and the Uncut Story DVD extra and call it a day (unless lawsuits happen) or create a new dub (It's possible they may have got the rights to the songs cleared up while purchasing them from Warner). If the later, we could see Polite Mewtwo in English or due to the Genesent controversy, retain Evil Mewtwo.

It's already been confirmed that TPCi is releasing a dub of this movie using the current dub actors.

Image result for yikes gif

I dunno maybe it's just me but I've always found the first Pokemon movie's death scene to be really overrated. Like, it involved four rather underdeveloped lab experiments dying and in the end their deaths didn't even play a part in the main plot of the movie since Mewtwo just kinda forgot about them. At least the deaths in those two Pixar masterpieces played a part in influencing the main characters of those movies.
Just because Mewtwo didn't have a conscious memory of them doesn't mean that the event didn't shape his demeanor. It explains perfectly why he killed Dr. Fuji, because he had previously told him that Ambertwo was disposable. That kind of thing doesn't just go away.

Last edited:
Mou Iyoyo Ashita da, Soshite kono atarashi mobei mou kimasu means until tommorow already then this new movie will come.

But in japan maybe it is already friday because when I was watching digimon tri, then the new movie of tri is begin this time in my country even if it is froday evening in my country but then it is already begin even if the movie is in saturday there

And now to think aboutit, so don't you think guys that last movie which is movie 21 finished one year so quickly? And really it is so wierd and fushigi na kimochi when means a mysterious felling when you think about it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom