• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M22: Mewtwo's Counterattack Evolution

Replacing great music with late 90s bubblegum pop is like replacing Simple and Clean with half-a-dozen Disney Channel stars' crappy music in Kingdom Hearts. People have a different taste today, so it's unlikely that the 4Kids soundtrack would be reused here. But if TPCi does replace the music, it would more likely be Goldfarb's score than songs performed by One Direction, Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers, and/or anyone hot on the music agenda with kids or brainless 16-year-old girls.
No offence, but this sounds more like a jab at the taste in music of the younger generation than any discussion of movie music, since the people you mentioned (Justin Bieber etc.) have literally never performed for Pokemon, nor is there any reason for them to suddenly work on Pokemon.

But if TPCi does replace the music, it would more likely be Goldfarb's score than songs performed by One Direction, Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers, and/or anyone hot on the music agenda with kids or brainless 16-year-old girls.

Well that's pretty obvious since I doubt that TPCI would shell out the cash to get big name popstars to lend their songs to the dubbed movie soundtrack although One Direction and Miley Cyrus are hardly relevant in terms of music these days. This is 2019, not 2013.

No offence, but this sounds more like a jab at the taste in music of the younger generation than any discussion of movie music, since the people you mentioned (Justin Bieber etc.) have literally never performed for Pokemon, nor is there any reason for them to suddenly work on Pokemon.
I don't think any of the artists from 1999 had any association with Pokémon either.
Well that's pretty obvious since I doubt that TPCI would shell out the cash to get big name popstars to lend their songs to the dubbed movie soundtrack although One Direction and Miley Cyrus are hardly relevant in terms of music these days. This is 2019, not 2013.
I was citing them as an example of potential musicians. I do apologize for being six years too late, even if I outgrew all of them in June 2011.

I apologize if I caused offense on my earlier post. But yeah, pulling out current pop stars to record songs for movies would be seen as trying to be relevant, and would become unpopular faster.

Seeing that it's a shot for shot remake really makes me excited as a dub fan.

When this film comes to America, I certainly hope that they use the original 4Kids cast again. This includes:
Veronica Taylor
Rachael Lillis
Eric Stuart
Maddie Blaustein (Archival Voice)
Megan Hollingshead
Lee Quick
Ted Lewis
Rodger Parsons
Ikue Ohtani
Carter Cathcart
Lisa Ortiz
Kayzie Rogers
and
Dan Green as "Mewtwo"
While TPCi will be doing M22's dub, Rodger Parsons, Ted Lewis, Lisa Ortiz, and James Carter Cathcart will be back, as they are all TPCi VAs. Lisa Ortiz is voice director and Carter Cathcart does adaptation too.

Dan Green is a 50/50 chance, he hasn't been on the show since 2014 XY

I just can't believe that this lazily written, sub-par animated movie became the most succesful pokémon film of the last decade.

I just can't believe that this lazily written, sub-par animated movie became the most succesful pokémon film of the last decade.

The Zoroark and Victini movies are a part of this decade, and it will be long before one of the anime-related ones ever comes close to them, and let's not even bring Detective Pikachu. The record only applies for the last 5 years in Japan.

It was initially in the lead relative to the last 8 years, but it's currently behind Movie 20 by about 8%. That is not much of a metric of quality anyway, especially given the increased competition this year.

The original movie doesn't need to be rewritten to be better than modern movies. Here, I can treat my opinion as fact, too.

let's not even bring Detective Pikachu.
It wasn't a bigger deal than the anime movies in Japan, failing to exceed 3 billion yen.

Last edited:
I know that, but martianmister didn't limit the record to Japan-only. DP will be almost impossible to beat by a regular movie.

Anyway, I doubt the success will mean anything, worse case scenario we'll get a remake every 3 years and even then there aren't many popular nostalgic Pokémon movies to choose from.

OK, so if Eiren is a reputable source when it comes to box office in Japan, then, according to this and this, M22 has yet to surpass the last two movies' box office, since, according to Dogasu, it only made 2.3 billion yen. Which means that it actually isn't "the most successful Pokémon movie of the decade".

I have a sneaking suspicion that this movie was produced because the next one needed more time.
Seeing as how we might not be getting a traditional regional anime, that makes sense

Hopefully they got back to the Better Ash AU at some point and keep exploring his journey

Actually, Ash becoming a movie-only protag while the anime finally starts using more varied characters would be great

The latest issue of CG World reveals that Movie 22's production started back in early 2017. Its production lasted 2.5 years; it wasn't a rush job to give themselves more time for the next movie or anything like that.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom