• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M22: Mewtwo's Counterattack Evolution

The latest issue of CG World reveals that Movie 22's production started back in early 2017. Its production lasted 2.5 years; it wasn't a rush job to give themselves more time for the next movie or anything like that.
You mean they've been working on this thing for over two years yet the human models still ended up looking this awful? Wow. The Pokémon models look good though, so maybe that's where all the effort went.

Most of the human models look fine.
Since I haven't seen it yet I can concede that it is possible that they look better in motion than they do in screenshots and split-second snippets, but most of the screenshots I've seen of the humans have not appealed to me.

I'm glad you're keeping an open mind. Now if you watch the movie and still don't like it, then fine. But please believe me when I say that the stills and trailers don't do this movie justice.

I guess that they can only afford to create one CG movie per generation, but the box office might not even warrant that since this movie is roughly on par with its immediate predecessor (granted, it would have done better last year with less competition and a lot more LGPE promotion). It's a shame that TPCi haven't even begun promoting it.

"Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution" is out on home video in Japan now, which means we all finally have a legal way to watch this film!

What do you think now that you've actually seen the movie for yourself?

61DlS-xckdL._AC_SL1430_.jpg

Amazon Japan
Yes Asia
CD Japan
"Custom Limited Edition" Blu-ray
Regular Blu-ray
Regular DVD

I want to watch it, but there's only so much I'm willing to pay for an unsubbed release. They already have the subtitles ready, so this is disappointing.

Humans' designs looks so ugly. I wouldn't watch it even if they air it in cinemas here.

Who's "they"?
I assume he's referring to the subtitles shown at the film festival or wherever it was that they showed it with English subtitles earlier in the year.

And besides, it's Movie 1. You already know what's happening.
True, but I can understand the reluctance to paying import prices for something that doesn't have English on it when if one waits long enough it will likely come out in English eventually. Add that to the screenshots and trailer snippets showing a very divisive animation style for the humans along with the seeming overall pointlessness of remaking a movie few if anyone wanted to see a remake of (especially when the original is so relatively young and still widely available while arguably looking better despite being 21 years older) and you can see why many may not have much of a drive to buy it. The human animation may look better in the actual movie than it does in the trailers and screenshots, but few are going to be willing to pay import prices to find out.

That said I'd be inclined to buy it if it was confirmed that we wouldn't be getting an English release, something I would imagine is true for at least a few others here.

"They" means TPC as a whole. I believe that the 4Kids script was used for English subtitles for one of the Japanese home releases of the original movie.

I don't find the movie ugly at all, even though I am not a fan of CGI. But I'm curious about the slightest script changes and I am not going to get that experience without subtitles. Even ignoring changes, I don't have the entire script memorized and this is not the kind of movie where only the action matters.

Last edited:
Well in any case the movie's out on home video in Japan now so there will be ways to watch it with English subtitles if you don't mind that sort of thing.

I'm still sad that Ai/Amber was cut from the movie. I was hoping they would do the opposite and finally adapt the rest of the (old) CD drama. It's so weird that Musashi is still relevant after all these years but her backstory with her mother has never been adapted in the anime.

I also wish the crying scene would have looked better. When I was a kid I thought that the way the Pokémon cried looked weird, like water leaking out of a still image or something.

Watching M22 and it's not...terrible?
The pokemon look lovely
The humans veer between good and "Oh god what were they thinking?"

EMfWLXUX0AA6vqB.jpg
EMfWLXVXsAE0fWs.jpg
EMfWLXXWoAMSzva.jpg
EMfWLXWWkAAbeAZ.jpg
EMfXFj-WsAEqJMW.jpg
EMfXFkKWsAAEg31.jpg
EMfXFkVWkAAZeVP.jpg
EMfXFj9XUAEgAMF.jpg
EMfUPf2WwAAGHth.jpg

They really should've used this as a chance to use M20/21!Ash and have him go through the events while making the other trainers called to the island his companions instead of Brock and Misty

I ended up watching the movie without subtitles, and still enjoyed it a lot. Here's my short review divided into points:

Good

1. Great Pokemon models with fluid animations. I especially liked Mew, and would probably place Charizard second.
2. Beautiful scenery, especially the sea storm and night sky.
3. Nice aerial battles.
4. Little but meaningful changes: Brock and Joy trying to leave the castle, Misty being the only one on the ground while processing Ash's "death" (originally, she stood up at the same time as Brock and Joy), Charizard getting licked by his clone after the climax, and finally, Mewtwo and the clones arriving in Mt. Quena at the end of the credits.

Neutral

1. No notable script changes. I think it's for the best since it's Shudo's script and he's dead, but let's just say that if he were alive, some additions could be made.
2. The brawl scene still isn't very exciting to watch. I get that animating proper battles between so many Pokemon would have been unfeasible, but still.
3. I don't consider this movie an "evolution" since the 90s anime style appeals to me more, but it'll be fun to rotate between it and the original movie every now and then.

Cons

1. The characters' facial features. They're okay, but they bring the overall presentation down. This is the one aspect they need to work on if they ever do another CG movie, and I hope they do.
2. The music replacements. I only noticed it when game remixes were involved (from BW and SM in rather unfitting situations, really now?), but this goes to show that change for the sake of change can often be stupid.
3. No "Birth of Mewtwo" references except for the jungle scene. Leaving aside a remake of the 10-minute feature, they couldn't at least add a picture of Amber to Fuji's desk?

All in all, the cons aren't significant. This is a movie for Movie 1 fans who aren't afraid of CG, but mostly kids of course, and I think they did a pretty good job with it. Now Netflix just need to release it with a proper dub and/or subtitles.

They really should've used this as a chance to use M20/21!Ash and have him go through the events while making the other trainers called to the island his companions instead of Brock and Misty
What would that have accomplished? There would have been no time to flesh out those characters, as the focus was always meant to be Mewtwo and how Ash and Mew reacted to him. SM didn't bring Brock and Misty back twice for nothing, either.

What would that have accomplished? There would have been no time to flesh out those characters, as the focus was always meant to be Mewtwo and how Ash and Mew reacted to him. SM didn't bring Brock and Misty back twice for nothing, either.
You flesh them out the same way Souji, Makoto, and the ridiculous cast of M21 was: use the first third of the film to characterize them like M22 failed to do with Brock & Misty

The TRio has more character in this movie than the protagonists do

EMgGzh9XkAA1-Fu.jpg
EMgHTRlWkAAdM0l.jpg

EMgHTRvW4AcoBdy.jpg
I can't take him seriously - he's too cute

EMf5ftNXkAE4AfL.jpg

EMf5ftKXkAEdnMJ.jpg

EMf5ftPXUAE4Xnf.jpg

EMf5ftRXUAAJw0C.jpg

EMf6vSCWsAAXXZv.jpg

So the animators were extremely cruel during this scene - there's no audio besides Pikachu calling for Ash

For a soulless nostalgic cash grab, this movie made me feel the same emotions as two decades ago, so they did SOMETHING right

You flesh them out the same way Souji, Makoto, and the ridiculous cast of M21 was: use the first third of the film to characterize them like M22 failed to do with Brock & Misty
There was no time. You're comparing apples and oranges here; both AU movies had very low stakes until their lackluster finales. I do think they should have extended the lunch scene to showcase all of Brock and Misty's Pokemon.

The movie made me feel physically sick with nostalgia. (Admittedly, this may be partly due to watching in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep after overeating...) I could hardly sit through the last 20 minutes due to the intrusion of thoughts about how this would be my last new outing with Shudou's script, Ishizuka's narrator, Miyazaki's music, the original twerp trio .etc. After the first few episodes of the so far soulless PM anime this movie honestly sent a piece of my heart to the grave.

I'm waiting for someone to do a proper M1 vs M22 comparison, but from the end of the bed I thought Kasumi and Takeshi both had slightly more meaningful roles and the TRio's song was certainly a value add. I think it's a shame they didn't adapt the Ai +/- CD drama stories though. I guess those are now no longer considered worthy to exist? :rolleyes:

I was never going to love the 3D and truthfully it often felt Aardman in the worst possible way. Stone Satoshi in particular literally looked like an unpainted plastic toy thrown on the floor during a tantrum, really distracted me from having feels. Musashi and Kojiro had the least bad human models though so there's that. Similarly, the choice of music was at times, like, wtf Mima/Miyazaki? I don't know why they couldn't have just redone the original score - why fix something that was in NO WAY broke?!

Just going by memory alone, here is what was changed in terms of scenes:

1. The lab is initially bright rather than dark (I guess this represents Fuji's hope?).
2. Armored Mewtwo has a different design.
3. Mewtwo is introduced to an army of Team Rocket grunts.
4. Mewtwo imagines Mew's jungle as it returns to New Island.
5. Ash and co. arrive in the lunch area.
6. Mewtwo watches Ash's battle with Raymond as Joy introduces Ash and co.
7. Fried Drowzee instead of fried Golem.
8. Charizard attacks Dragonite.
9. TRio have a Lapras boat; they sing some song.
10. Brock fawns over Neesha and Misty drags him.
11. Brock and Joy actually make it to the door before Vulpix is taken.
12. Only Misty remains on the floor when Ash is petrified.
13. Charizard is licked by clone Charizard after Ash awakens (there are probably other new Pokemon reactions).
14. Certain/most scenes are somehow extended by a total of 20 minutes.
15. Mt. Quena is seen in a post-credits scene.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom