• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M23: Koko

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like that they continued with the Alternate Universe concept. While PM being set in anywhere gives them less limitations AU just gives more room to creativity.
I would prefer a movie that includes Go without borrowing elements from both the Jungle Book and Movie 4, but that's just me apparently. A truly creative movie wouldn't include Ash.

Using Celebi means that every legendary from Gen 1 & 2 got to appear in a movie in the last 4 years.
Not the bird trio (Articuno got a cameo in the credits, but come on).

The new Pokémon Calyrex has an official bio that says:

I wonder if this ability could somehow be tied in with Celebi, if both play any role in this movie to begin with (although I see Celebi as a 90% probability tbh).

Can't have a PokeMovie without a new Legendary or Mythical! ;)
(no, seriously. It's a law now)

Fuck Gou. I'm only interested in the movie because he isn't in it

Also, why can't they just give ash gloves in the anime. They have no problems with him having it in the movies

I double checked Bulbapedia and Moltres and Zapdos apparently appeared in M20. Either way, it's hard to ignore the trend.
I'm pretty sure that's a mistake as I checked the credits and only saw Articuno; I certainly don't any remember seeing any of them in the movie itself. All three are pretty much confirmed to appear on the show judging from the poster, and now that they have new forms, a Kanto vs. Galar battle might be on the agenda for an episode or two.

But let's not forget that the Unown are practically legendary as far as the anime is concerned. They, too, are on the series poster, but their potential for a new movie is unlimited... Or they could remake Movie 3 in CG and I certainly wouldn't complain.

The trailer was all too brief, but I wasn't expecting a major one yet. It does pique my interest though, with the Celebi shrine, and the fact that Calyrex was revealed in the recent direct, who also has something to do with time. I am quite interested in seeing where this movie will go.

It is also absolutely gorgeous, as the movies are. I am still so glad I don't have to ever subject my eyes to the torture that was the CGI Mewtwo movie.

So you don't think that Go would fit in a jungle setting? Or any of Ash's Pokemon bar Pikachu?

I was on board with the AU movies back when the alternative was forcing five companions into an Alola movie. But now there's only one companion (let's just say that Koharu can choose not to tag along for some quests even if she joins their team) and they can go anywhere.
Gou and Koharu can have their story in the TV anime.

The movies are a good place to have an alternate storyline. See what they can do outside the box. Part of the reason I liked Movie 8 (the Lucario movie) was that we got to see characters and pokemon that don't have to do much with Ash or the television anime. I'd have enjoyed a full Sir Aaron movie with no Ash&co., but if they need to do something with Ash and Pikachu at the bare minimum, then best try expanding out with what they have.

Hey look, a baby with purple hair and green eyes in a Pokemon movie that almost certainly involves time traveling. Guess what grown-up character in the Pokemon anime has purple hair and green eyes?

Professor_Sakuragi_anime.png

I'm (mostly) just kidding, the baby is probably related to the jungle kid, but with the seemingly parallels between M4 and M23, it really doesn't seem far-fetched for the writers to involve a more anime-relevant professor for this movie.

By the way, the Pokemon movie website has updated with the poster for M23, giving us a full look at Ash's new outfit.

Other than the similar vests (the vest in M23 has a bit more stitching across the front compared to SS), his shoes also have a similar design. SS has black shoes with white crosses, blue heels and white soles; while M23 has white shoes with blue crosses, blue heels and yellow soles.

In addition, the fingerless gloves from M21 also seemed to have carried over.

Tomioka is the writer. Reminder that he also wrote the Hoopa and Volcanion movies, so his track record with movies is sketchy. Hopefully this movie isn't about a lot of random battles.

Last edited:
Wild mass guessing.

Ash and Pikachu team up with jungle kid to protect that baby from something evil in the forest, then Zacian/Zamazenta show up to save the day alongside whatever event legendary is the star of the movie
I have a hunch that the baby is the jungle boy, who grows up in the wild like Tarzan. I also think he's the "Coco" the title speaks of.
By the way, the Pokemon movie website has updated with the poster for M23, giving us a full look at Ash's new outfit.
850px-M23_teaser_poster.png

So I guess this movie is why Tomioka has been MIA from PM 2019 so far.

Tomioka wrote the SM time travel episode with young Kukui. Hmm, the concept is a little worn out, but this time Ash gets to take care of a baby? And maybe that baby's 10 years old self will change his own diapers? And maybe the point is that the baby won't become Mowgli because they're going to change his fate. He'll become Sakuragi instead in the universe of the show.

Movie 3 will forever remain my favorite. It had a central character you cared for despite her being an antagonist, managed to make Delia important even if she was a damsel in distress, gave decent supporting roles to Misty and Brock that further cemented their friendship with Ash, and gave Charizard the best reason to return yet. I reject the notion that movies should just be about new characters and Ash for the 23rd time.

Last edited:
I just hope Satoshi doesn't run into a Pokemon attack at some point in the movie so everyone knows just how serious he is about Pokemon friendship. The writers seem to think that overly suicidal behavior is the best way to show heroism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom