• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M23: Koko

Dogasu has written up an in-depth review detailing the movie. For anyone who isn't interested in reading it, here are some of the interesting points.

- As I expected, Satoshi only uses Pikachu in this movie.
- No mention of what region this is set in. Again, as I expected.
- This movie marks the animated debut of quite a few Pokemon; Sachimushi (Blipbug), Foxly (Thievul), Pulsewan (Boltund), Beroba (Impidimp), Tairetsu (Falinks), Uu (Cramorant), Baiwooluu (Dubwool), Appryu (Flapple) and Galarian Maggyo (Stunfisk) are the ones mentioned (we already knew the final evolutions of the Galar starters would appear, while Aceburn and Yokubarisu would have debuted here had the movie not been pushed back). Most are apparently quick cameos.
- Satoshi tries to catch Uu and Appryu during the movie but fails both times.
- The Mother and Daughter make their usual cameo appearances.
- For the first time in the franchise, Satoshi mentions his dad. He tells Koko how he encouraged him to follow his dreams of being a trainer... that's all the info we get though. No picture or current location.
- Koko's backstory is as thus; his parents were researchers for Dr. Zed who were trying to find a legendary tree in the forest which housed a spring filled with magical life-giving water (because apparently any forest in one of these movies has to have healing waters). Koko's parents found the tree but upon discovering it was sacred to the tribe of Zarude they attempted to find a way to learn about the water without harming it or the tree. Naturally Dr. Zed didn't give a damn about the Zarude and had a car chase with Koko's parents when they tried to flee with the data and runs them off the road into a river. He gets the data from them (presumably Koko is carried away by the river) and leaves them to die in the ensuing explosion! Yeah, our villain essentially murders Koko's parents.
- Team Rocket has a lot to do in this movie. They move the plot forward quite a bit and even give Satoshi and Koko a helping hand during the film.
- Zarude is a Mythical Pokemon in name only. There's about thirty of them in this film, and no-one makes any attempt to catch one.
- Dada Zarude is left close to death at the end of this film, however he is saved when Koko uses Jungle Healing (from the manga, Koko spends the start of the movie trying to learn Pokemon attacks and can't understand why they won't work for him). Probably best not to question it.
- Shiny Celebi's appearance very brief, like Lugia's in the last movie.

Last edited:
So does the Cramorant we saw in the trailer belong to Team Rocket, like we suspected from the trailer?

Dogasu has written up an in-depth review detailing the movie. For anyone who isn't interested in reading it, here are some of the interesting points.

- As I expected, Satoshi only uses Pikachu in this movie.
- No mention of what region this is set in. Again, as I expected.
- This movie marks the animated debut of quite a few Pokemon; Sachimushi (Blipbug), Foxly (Thievul), Pulsewan (Boltund), Beroba (Impidimp), Tairetsu (Falinks), Uu (Cramorant), Baiwooluu (Dubwool), Appryu (Flapple) and Galarian Maggyo are the ones mentioned (we already knew the final evolutions of the Galar starters would appear). Most are apparently quick cameos.
- Satoshi tries to catch Uu and Appryu during the movie but fails both times.
- The Mother and Daughter make their usual cameo appear.
- For the first time in the franchise, Satoshi mentions his dad. He tells Koko how he encouraged him to follow his dreams of being a trainer... that's all the info we get though.
- Koko's backstory is as thus; his parents were researchers for Dr. Zed who were trying to find a legendary tree in the forest which housed a spring filled with magical life-giving water (because apparently any forest in one of these movies has to have healing waters). Koko's parents found the tree but upon discovering it was sacred to the tribe of Zarude they attempted to find a way to learn about the water without harming it or the tree. Naturally Dr. Zed didn't give a damn about the Zarude and had a car chase with Koko's parents when they tried to flee with the data and runs them off the road into a river. He gets the data from them (presumably Koko is carried away by the river) and leaves them to die in the ensuing explosion! Yeah, our villain essentially murders Koko's parents.
- Team Rocket has a lot to do in this movie. They move the plot forward quite a bit and even give Satoshi and Koko a helping hand during the film.
- Zarude is a Mythical Pokemon in name only. There's about thirty of them in this film, and no-one makes any attempt to catch one.
- Dada Zarude is left close to death at the end of this film, however he is saved when Koko uses Jungle Healing (from the manga, Koko spends the start of the movie trying to learn Pokemon attacks and can't understand why they won't work for him). Probably best not to question it.
- Shiny Celebi's appearance very brief, like Lugia's in the last movie.

TR having a major role in a movie is enough to make me want to see it.

God this movie really is a rehash of other jungle movies like The Jungle Book and Tarzan and I don't care what other people say that's a valid criticism no matter how tired some people are of hearing it. Koko is basically Mowgli and Tarzan combined with a dash of Tommy from the 1st Kangaskhan episode. The only parts that stand out are parts about the villain but even he's too generic to come across as interesting.

People were saying that the alternate universe movies were so much better than the first 19 but damn this one seems really bad almost as tragic as the Keldeo movie if that's possible.

So does the Cramorant we saw in the trailer belong to Team Rocket, like we suspected from the trailer?

Nope.

Yami-no-Game said:
God this movie really is a rehash of other jungle movies like The Jungle Book and Tarzan and I don't care what other people say that's a valid criticism

It really isn't, especially when it comes from people who haven't even seen Koko yet.

Dr. Zed ended up getting arrested in the end. His goal was kind of hard to figure out but it seems like he wanted the power of the Holy Tree to help cure human diseases? It wasn't super well defined in my opinion.

Apparently there was a pop up of talk that M24 would cover 'Ash's Origins': did the movie end with a teaser a la Mewtwo after PoU or what?

(...The fact Ash's dad was mentioned at all by Ash makes me give that a bit more thought than I might otherwise just from a random twitter link)

Dr. Zed ended up getting arrested in the end. His goal was kind of hard to figure out but it seems like he wanted the power of the Holy Tree to help cure human diseases? It wasn't super well defined in my opinion.
And what about Karen and Koko?

I'll give it a chance when it comes out, but considering that Yajima's last movie was praised for its vast and varied cast of intricate characters and the interactions of those characters with each other it stands to reason that following that up with a movie with very few characters, two of which don't speak human (I assume Zarude doesn't) will bring about disappointment to fans of Everyone's Story.

Apparently there was a pop up of talk that M24 would cover 'Ash's Origins': did the movie end with a teaser a la Mewtwo after PoU or what?

(...The fact Ash's dad was mentioned at all by Ash makes me give that a bit more thought than I might otherwise just from a random twitter link)

If they do a movie like that, it'll be akin to the Pikachu origin story, overhyped.

There was no Movie 24 teaser at the end of this film.

dan.23 said:
And what about Karen and Koko?

Karen and the other Biotope Company employees stay behind to help repair the forest from the damage Dr. Zed did to it with his mecha.

Koko leaves the forest to set off on a journey to learn more about the human world so that he can understand that half of him.

P_S_B said:
two of which don't speak human (I assume Zarude doesn't)

That's correct, Zarude does not speak human language.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom