• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M23: Koko

I hear on the grapevine that Musashi and Kojiro have a yukadon moment in this film and I’m :oops:

When can we expect the DVD?!

I hate the Yukadon due to personal trauma, ... but it would all depend on the context ... I hope this is not real... (If it's an accidental scene like in the Hoso/Chronicle episode then everything is fine)

Last edited:
What's Yukadon?
It's a romance trope when a man and a woman take a tumble and end up like this...

1609182667581.png

Or like this :sneaky:

tumblr_nj86q9snsD1tkiv14o3_400.gif

I hate the Yukadon due to personal trauma, ... but it would all depend on the context ... I hope this is not real... (If it's an accidental scene like in the Hoso/Chronicle episode then everything is fine)
Don't worry Jez, I can't imagine they would do an intentional yukadon, it's bound to be an accidental, maybe even a nothing/blink-and-you-miss-it thing.

Looks like this movie is off to a rough start in the Japanese box office

02 (---) ¥325,000,000 ($3.1 million), 0, ¥435,000,000 ($4.2 million), Pokemon: Coco (Toho) NEW

Here is the history of Pokemon films at the japanese box office

¥780.9 million ($6.5 million) / 742,978 - Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: The Rise of Darkrai (2007)
¥703.8 million ($6.7 million) / 670,285 - Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Giratina and the Sky Warrior - Shaymin (2008)
¥672.5 million ($7.1 million) / 641,700 - Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Arceus - To a Conquering Spacetime (2009)
¥629.7 million ($7.7 million) / 600,602 - Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Master of Illusions - Zoroark (2010)
¥553.0 million ($5.1 million) / 454,000 - Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back - Evolution (2019)
¥540.1 million ($6.7 million) / 515,905 - Pokemon Best Wishes: Victini and the Black Hero - Zekrom/Victini and the White Hero - Reshiram (2011)
¥516.2 million ($4.6 million) / 436,078 - Pokemon: I Choose You! (2017)
¥515.2 million ($4.7 million) / 491,192 - Pokemon Advanced: Mew and the Wave Hero - Lucario (2005)
¥509.1 million ($6.4 million) / 489,862 - Pokemon Best Wishes: Kyurem Vs. The Sacred Swordsman - Keldeo (2012)
¥501.4 million ($4.5 million) / 440,242 - Pokemon: Everyone's Story (2018)
¥500.2 million ($4.6 million) / 475,462 - Pokemon Advanced: Deoxys - Sky-Splitting Visitor (2004)
¥486.3 million ($5.0 million) / 464,839 - Pokemon Best Wishes: ExtremeSpeed Genesect - Mewtwo Awakens (2013)
¥456.9 million ($4.1 million) / 317,000 - Pokemon: Detective Pikachu (2019)
¥450.2 million ($3.8 million) / 427,104 - Pokemon Advanced: Jirachi - Wishing Star of Seven Nights (2003)
¥416.4 million ($3.6 million) / 396,472 - Pokemon Advanced: Pokemon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea (2006)
¥393.2 million ($3.9 million) / 360,190 - Pokemon XY: The Cocoon of Destruction & Diancie (2014)
¥384.1 million ($3.1 million) / 351,592 - Pokemon XY: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages (2015)
¥380.5 million ($3.1 million) / 354,328 - Pokemon: Celebi - A Timeless Encounter (2001)
¥323.9 million ($3.0 million) / 289,971 - Pokemon XY&Z: Volcanion and the Mechanical Magearna (2016)
¥292.6 million ($2.4 million) / 273,209 - Pokemon: Guardians of Altomare - Latias and Latios (2002)

I wonder if the absence of a preview for the next movie was an indication that they knew this movie wasn't going to perform that well? Looking at these totals, it seems like Nostalgia remakes are more of a hit with japanese audiences, therefore we could possibly get remakes of more popular Pokemon movies? Considering the likelyhood of Sinnoh remakes, A rise of Darkrai remake aligned with Generation 4 remakes would be a huge hit in Japan.

By the way: are there any metrics on the movie's reception in Japan? Was it received positively?

Last edited:
Idk what it’s like in Japan right now but the presence of a global pandemic probably doesn’t bode well for theater movie ratings.

I agree. It's probably a foregone conclusion this movie will be one of, if not the lowest grossing movie in the franchise. Demon Slayer obviously is a huge anomaly given every other movie this year has struck out. I wonder where they will go from here though.

Hey, guys. Has anybody of you reveal why you're "disappointed" that Ash's Charizard hasn't return in this film either, like he hadn't done in M21: The Power of Us? Why?

Hey, guys. Has anybody of you reveal why you're "disappointed" that Ash's Charizard hasn't return in this film either, like he hadn't done in M21: The Power of Us? Why?
I don't know if anyone is disappointed, but the reason why that Charizard is a distant memory is that this AU continuity barely exists. If it weren't for Ash's hat (imagine that), there would be zero connection between the three movies.

I don't know if anyone is disappointed, but the reason why that Charizard is a distant memory is that this AU continuity barely exists. If it weren't for Ash's hat (imagine that), there would be zero connection between the three movies.

Which is why I believe the AU movies have largely been unsuccessful. The first movie retold Ash's story through the lens an alternative universe; thereby allowing a new slate of movies to follow upon that. The blueprint was there to make sequels using this so called "New Ash", but instead we didn't get that at all. We ended up with "Power of US". While it's a good movie, we don't even know where it belongs? Is it a sequel to "I Choose You?" is it another self-contained AU Ash? Which would tell us we now have 3 Ash Ketchums. If so, then this newest movie would be the 4th Ash Ketchum. You can't just establish a character like they did with the first movie, then do nothing with it. Or at least explain why we witnessed Charizard's development only for him to be erased in the following movie. It's clear they missed the ball here and while I don't know where the movie's box office performance will land at, it certainly isn't looking good.

Last edited:
Doesn't really matter much to me either. These are AU films telling their own story so I doubt Ash having other Pokemon would mean much if they don't bring anything of relevance to the story especially if I Choose You was any indication.

As for the movie not doing well, I have to admit it's fate was pretty much sealed thanks to this pandemic.

To be fair, the idea that Koko was in the same "continuity" as Movie 20 was only ever a fan theory to begin with.

Last edited:
To b e fair, the idea that Koko was in the same "continuity" as Movie 20 was only ever a fan theory to begin with.

Fair, but I think it's a problem that we haven't even been told where these movies belong. Anyway, i'm wondering with the proposition of another lockdown in Japan, The Pokemon Company would be better off selling the movie to NTV or something? Turn a bad situation into a good one? Sort of like how Disney and Warner Bros have been putting their movies on their streaming platforms to subvert the box office downturn.

Apparently the prize Ash won in Power of US was present in this movie, so it is at least in the same continuity as M21.

That little trophy he got? When? Because I don't remember seeing him with that at all.

Last edited:
Idk what it’s like in Japan right now but the presence of a global pandemic probably doesn’t bode well for theater movie ratings.

I thought so too, but didn't the Demon Slayer movie, which also released around the same time as M23, break many records despite the pandemic (including outperforming Spirited Away)? Source. While COVID absolutely affected things, seeing other releases do so incredibly well make me feel like this isn't the primary reason for this huge decline. =(

I thought so too, but didn't the Demon Slayer movie, which also released around the same time as M23, break many records despite the pandemic (including outperforming Spirited Away)? Source. While COVID absolutely affected things, seeing other releases do so incredibly well make me feel like this isn't the primary reason for this huge decline. =(
Demon Slayer was far more highly anticipated than just another Pokémon Movie. According to that article, almost all other Hollywood movies were also not playing in theaters at the time due to covid. Don’t get me wrong; Pokemon absolutely should make movies that people anticipate and want to go see, but at this point people aren’t going to risk covid to go see some cutesy one-off Pokémon film as opposed to the first(?) movie in a highly anticipated franchise.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom