• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Non-Mafia Mafia 2.0: Reinventing The Very Idea Of Mafia - ENDGAME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zexy

Quaxly Boy
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
Mafia 2.0: Reinventing The Very Idea Of Mafia

"This village is not like the other villages".

Premise (flavor text):
This village has been operating differently for at least 150 years. Serious crime has never happened (or at least is not widely known), although a police station with only one police officer in duty still exists (despite the best efforts of the nearby municipal capital trying to make it defunct, stating it is obviously unnecessary with the near-zero crime rate). Truth is, the single police officer (and all their ancestors before, who inherit the position one by one) is just a really nice person with a very kind heart, who does a side eye to all the devious practices of the villagers. Kidnappings and minor thefts have actually happened, but there was never ever bloodshed: making sure no deaths happen is the very least they can do to repay the officer's kindness, for they understand that if a death were to happen, their conscience would probably not bear it, and they may be actually unable to investigate it without getting higher-up authorities involved, and since they never had to be properly investigated for their crimes they are not sure they can fool the higher-ups as well, which could not only mean major trouble for everyone, but also this strange set of unwritten laws going on for so many generations, the only meaningful tradition they have, may be lost forever.

However, for a while now, a group of outsiders claiming to be descendants of people who have left years ago to pursue a better future elsewhere have resurfaced. They did manage to get reaccustomed to village practices for a few months now, some of them even got close with villagers who were born and raised there, a bit too close even. Others had nefarious plans from the beginning but were lying low all this time, hoping to infiltrate the community and gather important information before finally acting on their agenda. But fate has made it so, the time has finally come.

Premise (mechanics):
The game is similar to mafia, in that there exists an uninformed majority and an informed minority, there is a day phase where all active players vote in-thread, and a night phase where the bad guys select one person... but that is about where the similarities end. There are no lynches or nightkills, no deaths at all until maybe endgame. Instead, there are arrestings and kidnappings, but everyone stays alive till the end.

Each player has a TOTAL WINCON, a TOTAL LOSS and a HALF-WINCON. TOTAL WINCON and TOTAL LOSS may remove the players from the game permanently if/when achieved. HALF-WINCON is still a win, but may not be worth as much as a true win when it comes to bragging rights alone, but it is still enough to consider this game a win in your record. Compare with just beating a game or doing it while also getting some achievements/challenge house rules.

Each player can have a status of ACTIVE, ARRESTED or MISSING: MISSING may be further clarified as EXILED or KIDNAPPED. At the start of Day 1, all players are ACTIVE. A list of all the currently ACTIVE players who have a right to vote in the day council will be posted at the start of each day phase. If a player receives a plurality of votes by the end of the day phase, the council may attempt to arrest them. When a player is arrested, parts of their role PM may flip, but several others may be REDACTED. Also in the day phase, any player who does not currently have a plurality of votes on them can choose to Self-Exile, by posting it in thread in bold. Since the moment a vote towards anyone is posted means that said person has 1 and others have 0, everyone else can immediately self-exile. Every vote matters, be careful. No Arrest is a valid option and mechanically works exactly like No Lynch (if tied with a player arrest happens, if two players tied no arrest happens). Unarrest PLAYER is also an option starting Day 2, but a majority vote is required.

In the night phase, every ACTIVE person has the following options: Stay At Home, Visit PLAYER's home, Guard Police Station, Self-Exile, Hide . Mafia also has Kidnap PLAYER, Guard Abandoned Warehouse NUMBER, Fake Kidnap PLAYER and Released Kidnapped PLAYER. It is advisable all arrested and kidnapped players be guarded by at least one person, this can be coordinated by any ACTIVE players in-thread. An important distinction I want to make is on what is a VISIT. For a PLAYER A to VISIT a PLAYER B, they need to be in the same place for the night: if PLAYER A visits PLAYER B'S home but PLAYER B did not Stay At Home, it does not count as a VISIT.

EXILED players have the option Return To Village, but a player may not exile and return in the same phase. Everyone not currently pariticipating in a council meeting can send an Anonymous Internet Report by PMing the host. No one can force an EXILED player to come back, but most TOTAL WINCONS and HALF-WINCONS cannot benefit forever from EXILE, and specifications in Role PMs ensure that game cannot just stalemate forever in such a way.

The main objective of the town is to get all mafia ARRESTED or EXILED (and unwilling to return because it may help achieve some alternate wincon of theirs). The main objective of the mafia is to have no town ACTIVE at the start of the phase (ARRESTED, EXILED and KIDNAPPED all count). Parity lets them control votes but may not be yet endgame. These are the only objectives that lead to endgame.

OC is not entirely allowed, but there are host-approved exceptions, sort-of neighbour chats.

Instead of forcing people to sub out, slots will become EXILED until a sub is found. This kind of exile can be returned from at the same phase. Modkills will not ever happen for inactivity, only for breaking rules, these also count as a TOTAL LOSS.

I am sure this all sounds confusing to you at first, but stay assured, the game is more passive in nature than ordinary mafia, most choices made are not irreversible, there are interesting alternate wincons and role interactions. You may sometimes even be able to win alongside a friend of yours despite different alignemnts (but mafia is not allowed to out their entire team in any circumstance, that may warrant a modkill). So don't be super trusting even of your entire mafia faction. Names do not exist (only roles do), all claiming of roles and any total win/loss/half-wincons is allowed, just do not quote/screenshot role PMs (true or fake).

Ideally, you should treat this game as a story where you just control the characters towards a good or bad ending. This is not so much about strategy, but more about experimenting with mechanics and slowly being guided like an RPG campaign into what it is all about.

Here are the rest of the more standard rules (a very modified version of my standard ruleset to fit this game):
1. Forum Rules and War Room Rules always apply.
2. Day phases will last 48 hours and Night phases will last 24 hours, but may be shortened at the hosts' discretion if the length is redundant. Votes and actions will be locked as soon as the deadline for each phase passes. Votes/actions at :59 count, those at :00 don't. If the host(s) are sure that they won't be able to update, they may extend the phase in question straight from the beginning.
3. Please be active. You may be subbed out if you haven't made a game-relevant action for 72 hours. The aforementioned deadlines may be shortened on the host(s)' discretion, in case where waiting for that long would disrupt game integrity too much.
4. If you change your username mid-game, please state your old and new ones in-thread and mention the host(s).
5. To vote, use the following format: "VOTE: <PLAYER>". To unvote, use "UNVOTE: <PLAYER>".
6. Rules are subject to change. The host(s) will make sure to mention you if that happens. Your Role PM may also list exceptions to any of these rules.
7. No loophole abuse at all, please. You may ask the host(s) if a specific action you are unsure over would be considered a loophole in private and they may let it slide. However, obvious loopholes that are clearly outside the nature of the game abused without informing the host(s) beforehand may be faced with a zero-tolerance policy.
8. After exiting the game (total wincon, total loss, modkill), you may post more but said posts may not contain game-relevant information. Please avoid posting more than once or posting pointlessly.
9. If the game has somehow reached a stalemate state by accident (even though I will try my best from the setup side to avoid this from happening), it will end as a tie for the parties involved.
10. The most important rule. Have fun!

Signups can stay up for 20 days as per War Room rules. 5 players is the absolute minimum needed, ideally I would prefer as many as possible, the setup can be tweaked for any number (I would be content with anything around 10-13).

PLAYERS
1 @JamieIsBored
2 @Calvinッ MISSING
3 @Potato-6
4 @Minish MISSING
5 @Eri! MISSING
6 @Andoryu Teito

SUBS
@ZinnLav

INFORMED OBSERVERS
@DawningWinds (also MoD backup)
@Jinjo
@toastghost
@Snowy
@ExLight

Last edited:
spectate for now, might move to player after the 30p game ends lol
Oh trust me you'd LOVE to play this weird little mess... You have 19 days to reconsider, idk how far that 30p thing is away from ending but OK we'll see.

I don't understand how this game works. I learn better when I watch first.

I don't understand how this game works. I learn better when I watch first.
Would you like me to put you as a sub? Informed observer? Or just nothing (uninformed lurker).

Would you like me to put you as a sub? Informed observer? Or just nothing (uninformed lurker).
You can put me as informed observer.

I would still have to say, I do not believe the game will be as fun as it would be otherwise if it has such a low player count. I am also concerned we currently have almost as many people who wish to spectate the game but very few who wish to play in the game... It will just amount to spectating a very barebones game, with graveyard potentially being more active than the proper thread...

It could technically be over end of Night 1? I do not really wish to disclose the specifics of exactly what that would entail, but it is a possibility.
Asking because the possibility of people returning back to the game sounded like it could very well take twice/thrice as long as standard mafia of that size would.

I would still have to say, I do not believe the game will be as fun as it would be otherwise if it has such a low player count. I am also concerned we currently have almost as many people who wish to spectate the game but very few who wish to play in the game... It will just amount to spectating a very barebones game, with graveyard potentially being more active than the proper thread...
I agree with your point, might be that people are hesitant to join as they are worried to misunderstand something or do something wrong, so I assume that a lot of the people who wanna watch kinda wanna play but are held back by those kinda things.
After all there's no reference material for this game available.
And honestly, I can understand the thought behind this, I always look at older games of new game types if possible because reading rules is often confusing, so seeing stuff in action helps clear things up.

Screw it...
In! :cool:

Asking because the possibility of people returning back to the game sounded like it could very well take twice/thrice as long as standard mafia of that size would.
It could, but there also technically is a chance all town leave and all mafia stay... I do not think it is realistic, but it could happen?
I agree with your point, might be that people are hesitant to join as they are worried to misunderstand something or do something wrong, so I assume that a lot of the people who wanna watch kinda wanna play but are held back by those kinda things.
After all there's no reference material for this game available.
And honestly, I can understand the thought behind this, I always look at older games of new game types if possible because reading rules is often confusing, so seeing stuff in action helps clear things up.
As I said, almost no decision in the early phases is entirely irreversible, that is the whole point of the game, we are supposed to do an experiment to literally reinvent mafia here, while the roles guide the story towards a few possible endings... of course there is no reference point, YOU ALL need to make it from scratch :) but there is no pressure to do it all from first cycle...
Screw it...
In! :cool:
Thank you for having faith in this project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom