• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia Philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
In mafia games, I tend to be an observer. I prefer having a night action that lets me gather information (like cop or spy) and carefully choose a few people to trust with my information.

I try to be aggressive in games, regardless of alignment. Mainly because... I'm just a loudmouth in real-life. But also because I think it's more fun to be really active in the discussions.

I tend to be a bit quiet, but I can get more aggressive when the situation calls for it. I like to both choose others to trust, and mislead others, but it all depends on the context. I tend to avoid overly risky situations unless winning or a teammate's/my survival is on the line.

I am usually working at the backstage and trying to find an ally who to trust and share suspicions and information. That works quite well when I get an informative ability which is quite often. Sometimes I trie to act as townie leader, with varying success though.

On the subject of role and nameclaiming I think it makes the game quite hard for the mafia and easy for the town. I have been either directly collecting the claims, been the claim back up or been otherwise involved in finding out the fake claims in 9 (!) almost subsequent games. (Well in two of them to town didn't really actively try to collect the claims) The reault of these games have been town victory in all but two games. (And I rather would not talks about these games, thank you)

I actually like to observe play styles, and see if I can match them to the usual mistakes the mafia makes. I'm also more of a logical player. If I get X, I try and find a reason for Y. If something happens, I always want to have scenarios played out in my head, so I can easily piece things together when I get more information.

Also, I never trust anyone. I'll be honest and upfront about my ability and information, but at the same time I could still suspect the person of being mafia. I'm careful with what I share, but if I'm willing to share, the mafia thing they've tricked me. That tends to keep me around. Also, playing observer until something happens is fun. You stay quiet an barely contribute until something catches your interest and you go off on it. Mafia tend to not kill the aggressive types, which seems like the opposite of how it should work.

Jumping on the prospect of Day-1 lynches. The actual lynch itself does not get any new info, except for the person you killed, which has the same likelihood of being important as it does being mafia. That does nothing for the town, and in fact hurts it. However, the process of voting on Day-1 DOES tell you things. It tells you what you're looking for and gives you impressions of the people around you. If you can do this and keep from killing anybody, you're golden. My philosophy.

I'm more of an aggressive player in mafia games, although admittedly it mostly applies just to the thread. Instead of making alliances behind the scene I tend to stay on my own and analyse the posts the other players are making for stuff like contradictory views on something or weird wording. It served me well in the past, although I should try making alliances more.

I don't make alliances very often. I've only made them twice - once I was a relatively important role and had information to share, and once I was a mafioso and someone requested an alliance with me.
I generally don't ask people to form alliances, as I get a bit nervous about that regardless of my alignment. I do like forming them though and enjoy having someone to talk to and get a second opinion on events.

I've only been in an alliance once, and it was this time that we won the game, so maybe I should do so more often.

Like America*, I'm usually too nervous about accidentally joining up with somebody who is mafia, or something. That, and I never know how much to say in alliances without seeming to be trying to hard to seem town (even if I am).

I don't normally start alliances unless I'm something like the cop which has happened like once. But I join them just fine is I trust the player mostly.

I was in alliance once an it was with one Mafia, one independent, and one town. I was the town after that stupid move I've tended not to make alliances. But I should really try to make more it could become a really beneficial strategy.

I made alliances pretty freely at first, but now I'm overly cautious in doing so. I think it's better to hold off and see if the person is really trustworthy and/or offers first.

I've only been in an alliance once, and it was this time that we won the game, so maybe I should do so more often.

Like America*, I'm usually too nervous about accidentally joining up with somebody who is mafia, or something. That, and I never know how much to say in alliances without seeming to be trying to hard to seem town (even if I am).

Alliances are almost essential, really. Being on your own is asking for trouble.

Alliances are almost essential, really. Being on your own is asking for trouble.
I'm coming to realize that. ^^ Slowly but surely, especially after Skyward Sword.

/shrug
I've been on my own on almost every mafia game and done just fine. I mean, I'd work with the town in-thread and find scum, but I'm too nervous to form alliances :/
Maybe I'll try forming them just to see how it works.

The only time I really tried to make an alliance was when I was a survivor Indep. I thought that I was in a pretty good position and made an alliance with the mafia. By sheer luck.

The only time I really tried to make an alliance was when I was a survivor Indep. I thought that I was in a pretty good position and made an alliance with the mafia. By sheer luck.

That was great. XD I make an alliance with you, and then the QT spy catches my posts talking about it.

That was one of my favorite, and most stressful games. And I worked out perfectly for me and NfiNity. So alliances can turn out great.

I aim for the best performance possible. The best win is normally a personal win; teams can't win without them. Independents require them. The most important factor when deciding what winning means is my alliance. Next comes my role; if I can do more good by dying, I will. Last comes game rules, especially when dead players still have roles to play.

I believe that I can win a game by doing everything right. When I do, I have won. I evaluate my success on those terms. The best results will follow the best efforts. It is when I put in great effort and don't get great results that I have something to learn. That will make my next performance better. If not, that's my fault.

Alliances are a great tool out of many. I wouldn't lump all alliances in the same category. Some are used for gathering -- others, not.

I tend to be a more tactical and strategic player. I think things through many times and try to help my team. While I don't like being the town leader that much, I usually am in private communications with them and help them figure out who is mafia. As mafia, my philosophy is to pretend I'm town. If reasoning is present I wont hesitate to vote for a fellow mafia or cast FoS on them.

About Day 1 lynches, I believe that they do give information if you watch the votes. I strongly believe in random voting on day 1, but to turn it into a lynch needs some reasoning, no matter how small. If there's no reasoning, the second vote that was placed on someone is the most suspicious. Anytime past day 1, actual reasoning needs to be present.

Alliances are an essential part to mafia games and can be extremely helpful to any side if used properly. However, never constantly defend whoever you're in an alliance with if they're not cleared townies.

A post all about name claims role claims and fake claims is coming up later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom