• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia Philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changes to my standard ruleset:
1. Forum Rules and War Room Rules always apply.
2. Day phases will last 48 hours and Night phases will last 24 hours, unless phases get shortened as discussed in rule 9. Votes and actions will be locked as soon as the deadline for each phase passes. Votes/actions at :00 count, those at :01 don't. If the host(s) are sure that they won't be able to update, they may extend the phase in question straight from the beginning.
3. Please be active. You may be subbed out if you haven't made a game-relevant action for 72 hours. If no sub is available to take your place, or you keep not performing game-relevant actions for the next 72 hours, you may be modkilled. The aforementioned deadlines may be shortened on the host(s)' discretion, in case where waiting for that long would disrupt game integrity too much.
4. Nameclaiming isn't allowed. No quoting or screenshots of any conversation with the host. This includes exact wincon wording and posting fake data that supposedly comes from said sources.
5. If you change your username mid-game, please state your old and new ones in-thread and mention the host(s).
6. To vote, use the following format: "VOTE: <PLAYER>". To unvote, use "UNVOTE: <PLAYER>". A tie in the plurality of votes will result in No Lynch.
7. Rules are subject to change. The host(s) will make sure to mention you if that happens. Your Role PM may also list exceptions to any of these rules.
8. No loophole abuse at all, please. You may ask the host(s) if a specific action you are unsure over would be considered a loophole in private and they may let it slide. However, obvious loopholes that are clearly outside the nature of the game abused without informing the host(s) beforehand may be faced with a zero-tolerance policy.
9. For non -LO day phases, HYPER-MAJORITY rules are in place. This means that if, at any given time in such a Day phase, at least 2/3 of the players alive are voting for the same person, the phase will end early with a lynch on that person. Day phases may also end sooner if all the players alive are voting for a player or No Lynch.
-LO day phases (in which town's lynch decision may lead to them losing the game before the next day phase begins) will be announced. Details on the nature of the -LO state will be given in the Day phase update. Starting from the first -LO phase and the nights after it, the phase only ends if all votes/actions are locked in a way that leads to an inevitable outcome.
10. Outside communication (that is, communication that occurs outside of this thread) is permitted. Please make sure to include us in any OC chats you may have during the game.
11. After dying in the game, you may post more but said posts may not contain game-relevant information.
12. If the game has no deaths for 4 consecutive phases because of continuous No Lynches in the day phases followed by factions with kills purposely idling them in the night phases, or if the game has reached a stalemate state, the game will end as a tie for the parties involved.
13. The most important rule. Have fun!

Most of my games will be roleclaiming/OC-allowed anyway so I'm sticking to that, if I need to change I'll make it clear.
The only major change is Rule 9. HYPER-MAJORITY only applies to non -LO day phases. From the first -LO day phase onwards the phases will only get shortened if actions but also votes are locked in ways that lead to inevitable outcomes. This prevents cases like Pretend You're Xyzzy where even if the 3 votes on Ereshkigal were locked, the phase would still not end because Lone_Garurumon's action or idling thereof could influence the phase's outcome. It is generally in place to prevent these strange situations that only arise by the end of games, also night phases will only be ending early in such cases as no one really locks actions in the beginning anyway.

Another thing I'd like to note is that I plan to host somewhat less complicated/advanced role-madness games from now on. I think I've done enough, if not too much.

Another thing I'd like to note is that I plan to host somewhat less complicated/advanced role-madness games from now on. I think I've done enough, if not too much.
tenor.gif

And y'all can look forward to much less complicated staff hosted games in the future, because I'm going to actually keep an eye on things. :p

ok ok maybe later, I think I've overdone it now. The next few games I'll be hosting don't leave much room for excessive complicatedness anyway. VGB is Chaos-style (so roles need to be such that could work as either alignment as it gets randed afterwards), ToS: All Any is semi-open, 123 has ABC-style complicatedness (3 games at once) but no super-crazy roles, any staff events will be more simple and fall under the mentor program for the most part anyway

By the time we get to Zexy's Boring Mafia Game: No Theme Or Flavor Whatsoever [??p] which should be several months I'll see how I'll proceed since the game can really have anything

Zexy's Standard Ruleset
Reposting my standard ruleset at its latest form. From now on I'll be editing this one with any changes I make, as the revamped hosting guide will have a link to this post:

2. Day phases will last 48 hours and Night phases will last 24 hours, but may be shortened at the hosts' discretion if the length is redundant. Votes and actions will be locked as soon as the deadline for each phase passes. Votes/actions at :00 count, those at :01 don't. If the host(s) are sure that they won't be able to update, they may extend the phase in question straight from the beginning.
3. Please be active. You may be subbed out if you haven't made a game-relevant action for 72 hours. If no sub is available to take your place, or you keep not performing game-relevant actions for the next 72 hours, you may be modkilled. The aforementioned deadlines may be shortened on the host(s)' discretion, in case where waiting for that long would disrupt game integrity too much.
4. Nameclaiming is not allowed. No quoting or screenshots of any conversation with the host. This includes exact wincon wording and posting fake data that supposedly comes from said sources.
5. If you change your username mid-game, please state your old and new ones in-thread and mention the host(s).
6. To vote, use the following format: "VOTE: <PLAYER>". To unvote, use "UNVOTE: <PLAYER>". A tie in the plurality of votes will result in No Lynch.
7. Rules are subject to change. The host(s) will make sure to mention you if that happens. Your Role PM may also list exceptions to any of these rules.
8. No loophole abuse at all, please. You may ask the host(s) if a specific action you are unsure over would be considered a loophole in private and they may let it slide. However, obvious loopholes that are clearly outside the nature of the game abused without informing the host(s) beforehand may be faced with a zero-tolerance policy.
9. -LO day phases (in which town's lynch decision may lead to them losing the game before the next day phase begins) will be announced. Details on the nature of the -LO state will be given in the Day phase update.
10. Outside communication (that is, communication that occurs outside of this thread) is not permitted.
11. After dying in the game, you may post more but said posts may not contain game-relevant information. Please avoid posting more than once or posting pointlessly.
12. If the game has reached a stalemate state either by accident or by players intentionally idling kills, it will end as a tie for the parties involved.

Last edited:
Reposting my standard ruleset at its latest form. From now on I'll be editing this one with any changes I make, as the revamped hosting guide will have a link to this post:

2. Day phases will last 48 hours and Night phases will last 24 hours, unless phases get shortened as discussed in rule 9. Votes and actions will be locked as soon as the deadline for each phase passes. Votes/actions at :00 count, those at :01 don't. If the host(s) are sure that they won't be able to update, they may extend the phase in question straight from the beginning.
4. Nameclaiming is not allowed. No quoting or screenshots of any conversation with the host. This includes exact wincon wording and posting fake data that supposedly comes from said sources.
9. For non -LO day phases, HYPER-MAJORITY rules are in place. This means that if, at any given time in such a Day phase, at least 2/3 of the players alive are voting for the same person, the phase will end early with a lynch on that person. Day phases may also end sooner if all the players alive are voting for a player or No Lynch.
-LO day phases (in which town's lynch decision may lead to them losing the game before the next day phase begins) will be announced. Details on the nature of the -LO state will be given in the Day phase update. Starting from the first -LO phase and the nights after it, the phase only ends if all votes/actions are locked in a way that leads to an inevitable outcome.
10. Outside communication (that is, communication that occurs outside of this thread) is permitted. Please make sure to include us in any OC chats you may have during the game.
11. After dying in the game, you may post more but said posts may not contain game-relevant information.
12. If the game has no deaths for 4 consecutive phases because of continuous No Lynches in the day phases followed by factions with kills purposely idling them in the night phases, or if the game has reached a stalemate state, the game will end as a tie for the parties involved.
What has changed since the old one?

What has changed since the old one?
Nothing, it's just that I've been making edits here and there, never keeping it all in a single, concrete post.
But now that we are going to have a link to it in the hosting guide, there needs to be one post that will only contain the ruleset and will be constantly edited.

So, after reading a little post from Zexy in ME Movies, what do y'all think of Hyper-Majority rules in general? Do you like them, do you not, any reason beyond personal preference?

Personally I think it's not a bad thing to have in the game, since it adds another angle for scum to "accidentally" kill someone off. But it also makes the chance of the phase ending without one or more players (potentially even the player being voted for) even being able to see the phase change, let alone post in the thread.
Personally I intend to remove Hyper-M rules from all of the games I host, if only for my own sanity, since a forced phase end can result in a rather inconvenient update time from then on, and arbitrarily extending/shortening phases just to bring the update time back to a reasonable point just feels like bad form to me.

Those are all fair concerns but there are as many cases of phases who should end sooner because there is no reason for them to go on when nothing is about to change.

Both points from Lone and Zexy are fair. I do have to give the edge to Lone though. It's not as bad as having to wait till phase ends than to get ended before you get the chance to react properly. It also can ruin timing for the host.

I don't like it, for a few reasons... mainly that it stifles discussion and can mess with your schedule.

I won't be using hyper majority going forward. Instead my games will shrink the day phase once it drops to a certain number of players and activity dies down.

I also won't be using -lo going forward. Both systems have a negative impact on games that i do not like.

If a player misses an entire 48 hour phase because they were too busy doing other things, IRL or on the forum, that's on them.
If a player misses a 5 hour phase because it just so happened that said player was sleeping at the time and scum was not, that's bullshit of the highest caliber.

As a game host, one must make the game as fair as possible. This means taking into consideration multiple time zones. 48 hours provides a nice window where back and forth discussion can be used to help players solve the game.

Hammer rules innately favor those players who are closest in time zones to the hosts, which is not fair.

Lastly, the hosts would, assumedly, schdule updates at a time that is convenient to them, for example, ME Movies Mafia's update time is 2 hours after I get out of work. This allows me to drive home and still have about an hour to write up the update before it needs to get posted. It then gives me enough time to head over to the pool for lap swimming and doesn't make me get to bed too late. Hammer rules means that the host has to be ready to update any time, anywhere. That's just not feasible.

As a general rule, in any game where I am the "primary" host and not just the FT guy, there will be no hammer rules.

I'm pretty curious about playing some mafia games here, although I am confused by having so many going at once ^^;

As for actual philosophy playing completely to the interests of the town is the only way I play.

I'm pretty curious about playing some mafia games here, although I am confused by having so many going at once ^^;

As for actual philosophy playing completely to the interests of the town is the only way I play.
Hi there, and welcome to The War Room. Try not to let the game number intimidate you, it's just the way we run things around here. Heck, we had to cut the number of active games down recently. My advice is to try and find a game in sign-ups that you like the look of and jump right in. Don't worry, we're all super friendly.

Hi there, and welcome to The War Room. Try not to let the game number intimidate you, it's just the way we run things around here. Heck, we had to cut the number of active games down recently. My advice is to try and find a game in sign-ups that you like the look of and jump right in.

Hello and thanks for the welcome! :) The sheer number is intimidating on its own because I'm used to places that only have one or two going at a time, but I shall keep this in mind.

Don't worry, we're all super friendly.
That sounds like something a mafioso would say.... ;) Am I being lead into a trap?

I would suggest playing a mentor game if you are new. They are meant for new players and there will be mentors to help you out.
This is what I thought of doing (with the Lovers' mafia) but I couldn't see a beginning date, so I wasn't sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom