• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia Philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I thought of doing (with the Lovers' mafia) but I couldn't see a beginning date, so I wasn't sure!
As far as I know, the game is still taking signups so feel free to sign up if you want! It should actually be starting soon, it's been in signups for a bit I think. I'm not sure.

(Also, The Situation Room is our main discussion thread just so you know :))

Don't worry, we're all super friendly.
Well, I occasionally bite if I'm hungry, but aside from that, we're all friendly.

The mentor games are designed to help new players and new hosts, so they're a good place to start learning a decent philosophy for how to play as mafia or as town. Additionally, we just finished rewriting the playing and hosting guides, which are another great resource for new players or hosts.

As far as I know, the game is still taking signups so feel free to sign up if you want! It should actually be starting soon, it's been in signups for a bit I think. I'm not sure.
Will do, then!

(Also, The Situation Room is our main discussion thread just so you know :))
I realized my mistake too late! So I edited in about my philosophy and hoped nobody would notice ^^;

Well, I occasionally bite if I'm hungry, but aside from that, we're all friendly.
I will try to be less delicious when the time comes then!

The mentor games are designed to help new players and new hosts, so they're a good place to start learning a decent philosophy for how to play as mafia or as town. Additionally, we just finished rewriting the playing and hosting guides, which are another great resource for new players or hosts.
Excellent, I have great timing :LOL:

This is what I thought of doing (with the Lovers' mafia) but I couldn't see a beginning date, so I wasn't sure!
Ah, that is something that could be confusing. I believe Lovers' should be starting in a little less than a week. The general rule is that most games will start once all positions fill (unless it's an infinite player game), or a set amount of time has passed (20 days for most games, but 30 for larger games). Specific details can be found over in the schedule/queue thread.

I'm pretty curious about playing some mafia games here, although I am confused by having so many going at once ^^;

As for actual philosophy playing completely to the interests of the town is the only way I play.
Picking the mentor game was a wise choice as you'll be receiving help by someone more experienced while getting used to playing.
Hope you like it around here, and if you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Playing to the interests of the town is the way to play when town; guess you haven't ever been mafia yet :)
This thread is more about the philosophy of how to achieve that as well as the entire game's fundamentals, not just playing to your win condition.

In terms of strategy town trusts town. So it's not necessarily a win condition to play along with what the town expects from a town player and cast doubt upon more legitimate associated members. :cool: (i've been mafia before)

Hey, new face. Welcome to the War room. Pull up a seat. Toilets are down the hall, snack room is to the right... I hope you enjoy your stay.

On to business. Eevee's standard ruleset is as follows. It is based on the Zexy standard ruleset, so credit goes to him for most of it.

1. Forum Rules and War Room Rules always apply.
2. Day phases will last 48 hours and Night phases will last 24 hours, unless phases get shortened as discussed in rule 9. Votes and actions will be locked as soon as the deadline for each phase passes. Votes/actions at :59 count, those at :00 don't. If the host(s) are sure that they won't be able to update, they may extend the phase in question straight from the beginning.
3. Please be active. You may be subbed out if you haven't made a game-relevant action for 72 hours. If no sub is available to take your place, or you keep not performing game-relevant actions for the next 72 hours, you may be modkilled. The aforementioned deadlines may be shortened on the host(s)' discretion, in case where waiting for that long would disrupt game integrity too much.
4. No quoting or screenshots of any conversation with the host. This includes exact wincon wording and posting fake data that supposedly comes from said sources.
4a. Name claiming depends on the game, but if the opening post does not mention it, assume that name claiming is not allowed.
5. If you change your username mid-game, please state your old and new ones in-thread and mention the host(s).
6. To vote, use the following format: "VOTE: <PLAYER>". To unvote, use "UNVOTE: <PLAYER>". A tie in the plurality of votes will result in No Lynch.
7. Rules are subject to change. The host(s) will make sure to mention you if that happens. Your Role PM may also list exceptions to any of these rules.
8. No loophole abuse at all, please. You may ask the host(s) if a specific action you are unsure over would be considered a loophole in private and they may let it slide. However, obvious loopholes that are clearly outside the nature of the game abused without informing the host(s) beforehand may be faced with a zero-tolerance policy.
9. Eevee games contain no Hyper-Majority rules, and do not announce -Lo. Instead, two things are different about Eevee games.
9a. If it is a day phase and the game is capable of ending within this day phase, or the night phase, you will be notified that this may be the last phase of the game. If it is night phase, you will get the same notification but it does not apply to the next day phase.
9b. Instead of hyper majority, late-game day phases will be shortened at the hosts discretion. This will generally be when the activity has died down, and will be announced at the beginning of the shortened phases.
10. No outside contact.
11. After dying in the game, you may post more but said posts may not contain game-relevant information.
12. If the game has no deaths for 4 consecutive phases because of continuous No Lynches in the day phases followed by factions with kills purposely idling them in the night phases, or if the game has reached a stalemate state, the game will end as a tie for the parties involved.
12a. You will be warned if the game is approaching such a stalemate.
13. The most important rule. Have fun!

Hyper majority annoys me... I mean, not only does it allow players to "Snipe" a kill during the day phase, it can quite easily mess with my schedule. I prefer to update at night, when I can almost guarantee I'll be around.

Going to tag @Elementar so he can give me his opinion since I'm hosting a game with him shortly.

Hyper majority annoys me... I mean, not only does it allow players to "Snipe" a kill during the day phase, it can quite easily mess with my schedule. I prefer to update at night, when I can almost guarantee I'll be around.

Going to tag @Elementar so he can give me his opinion since I'm hosting a game with him shortly.

I generally have Hyper-Majority, but I don't mind all that much. So I don't care if we don't have it. And night updates sound good, but you're 2-3 hours behind me xD

So what do you guys think about phase lengths?

Back when I played on my old forum we played 24/0h phases, where you do day and night in one phase (so you vote and put in your action)
when I came here I found the games to be a little longer than that o_O

Now I mostly use 48/24h phases, but as seen in EMU, people were requesting an extension for a 72 hour phase.
I believe 48/24 should be enough, at night not a lot of discussion goes down and 2 days should give everyone the chance to talk. I have a feeling that 72 hour phases could lower activity due to a phase taking too long.

Perhaps 48/24 is good for non-hyper-majority games while 72/24* would be good for hyper-majority games. Thoughts?

*mostly talking day, night phase could also be longer. Feel free to give your thoughts on night phase as well :)

I'll be keeping non-LO HYPER-MAJORITY on all non-staff games I host myself or with co-hosts who'd also like it in.
In all other cases I'll be dropping it and would also like to use Eevee's phase shortening suggestion.
I am actually a bit surprised to see this many people against it, people really seemed to like it when Elie first suggested it. I also don't mind changing update times for my own games for the most part so that's not a prohlem.

However I'm going to insist that exact -LO announcements are important and should stay, "this might be the last day phase of the game" is just too vague. For an extreme example, all it takes is a bastard game-ending-upon-win Jester and suddenly every phase of the game could be the last, doesn't mean town should treat it like a -LO.

As for phase lengths, 72 hour day is not a good idea, would only make inactivity worse and people bored/annoyed at the game being slow.
Something I did try for a while was 24/24 but people didn't like short days because they were afraid it would lead to more mislynches. I still think I should try bringing it up again as an experimental thing sometime, though.

I'm against 0h nights as the lynch result can have a huge impact on your night actions.

The 72h phase, I only accepted that because of personal inactivity caused by @SoaringDylan

LO announcements can confirm how many, enemies are left. What is your thought on that @Zexy ?

I'm against 0h nights as the lynch result can have a huge impact on your night actions.

LO announcements can confirm how many, enemies are left. What is your thought on that @Zexy ?
Agreed.

That's the whole point, town needs to know in what exact situation they're in and act accordingly, it's the nature of roles that should be withheld from them, not the potential outcomes just because they don't know the amount of mafia; that's unfair since mafia knows all the numbers.

Personally, I think it's more important that the phases are consistent as possible rather than the length. That is, it should be kept at 48/24 as much as possible out of respect of the players.

For hammers, smaller games should have a high threshold of players to achieve that like 3/4 of votes or something like that.

Personally, I think it's more important that the phases are consistent as possible rather than the length. That is, it should be kept at 48/24 as much as possible out of respect of the players.

For hammers, smaller games should have a high threshold of players to achieve that like 3/4 of votes or something like that.
Phase length has nothing to do with respect for the players. You know what length you are signing up for, it's not that just because everyone is used to 48/24 anything else would be disrespectful. It is more likely to be inactive though and since TWR isn't the most active mafia section around it's not a good idea; big places have several different length tiers.

Too high of a percentage is problematic for HYPER-MAJ, as is too low. Higher means that town may not even be able to achieve a hammer on a mafia by -LO unless some mafia go for bussing, while mafia can snipe-hammer someone if enough town mess up. Lower percentage means that snipe-hammer becomes much easier. Which is why in -LO situation (the closest analogy to a small game, can't have less players involved than this) I just disable HYPER-MAJ altogether.

However I'm going to insist that exact -LO announcements are important and should stay, "this might be the last day phase of the game" is just too vague. For an extreme example, all it takes is a bastard game-ending-upon-win Jester and suddenly every phase of the game could be the last, doesn't mean town should treat it like a -LO.

Game ending Jesters are something I will never use. This isn't like my dislike of vanilla but I'll still use it... I truly hate game ending Jesters.

Anything that can end a game in my games will usually be predictable.

But -lo announcements give way too much information that players should not have. When you announced Milo in VGB, I watched as Slife instantly knew the exactly configuration of the games players. I don't like that and I feel that it is a mod-confirmation that should not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom