• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Endgame - Town/Independent Win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Day 4 - All according to plan? [6-29-13]

If Nytie couldn't have been role locked, then the mafia may have targeted someone else who was protected.

Human could be lying but this explains Hitomi getting no result and Nytie dying better than the earlier role priority theory.

Anyways I think we should stop role analysis and go back to scumhunting. The number of players approaching "cleared" status is becoming uncomfortably high.

Here are my thoughts on what has happened overall, with commentary given as I read it:

DAY 1
Neon Borealis said:
Vote: Phoenicks

I know that your vote could have been because Spectrum's behavior. But maybe theres something else, who knows?
Even if he is mafia, on Day 1 mafia only knows that everyone else is town or independent, so it’s not as though he’d have had any information on Dark Kyriaki’s ability/role. So I’m not sure what the “something else” is that you were theorizing about.

jda95 said:
I am curious as to why Neon and Noivern chose to jump on this bandwagon so quickly when most players hadn't said anything at all yet and Phoenicks hadn't displayed anything resembling anti-town behavior. :{
Neon Borealis was the first person to vote Phoenicks though, so it could hardly have been considered a bandwagon at that point.

Neon Borealis said:
One can never ignore possibilities, good mafia players are by essence, unpredictable. That however, still doesn't justify my vote, I have to admit, that vote was mainly an artiffact to generate discussión, and, since it has accompished it's purpose.
In the same post where you say your vote wasn’t justified, it seems like you were trying to justify it somewhat in the first sentence. And then you go on to remove it as it “accomplished its purpose” to generate discussion, which - while an understandable reason to vote - comes across as a tacked-on reason decided after the fact, as though you didn’t want to be tied to anything after being questioned on it.

Pokemaster97 said:
Even though Spectrum's actions were anti-town, I'm not feeling like he's mafia, at least not yet. While his vote was useless and could be viewed as anti-town, it did no harm at all. Spectrum's vote was no more helpful than @Oswin; and @jda95;'s joke votes against other moderators (which was obviously a joke by the smiley faces included with it.) Why is spectrum getting flack for it and not them? Because their random joke votes happened to be on players in the game?

Oswin and Jda95, How about removing those votes and voting someone you actually think is Mafia? That would actually move the game along.
I think this is a really good point here, and one that gives me a town vibe, as he seems to be looking at all the posts up to that point in a pretty fair and objective manner, and making a lot of sense.

Phoenicks said:
Why are you nervous of Noivern? He's soft claiming something useful.* Is that enough to warrant suspecting him over the rest of the thread?

*It's too soon to soft claim. It only gives scum an idea of who to kill. Lets not.

Now, what about the lynch? Is there enough reasonable decision on an early poster (I don't think so) or should we lynch an inactive?
I agree that soft-claiming during Day 1 is really risky, and pointing that out is a slight town read. But then the last part of the post doesn’t make much sense to me. It seems hard to classify someone as “inactive” when there’s only one phase to be going by, and then…

Phoenicks said:
Lynching an inactive would also encourage activity and eliminate a wasted slot. Mafia will probably kill an active player.
There are some players who lay back on Day 1 even as town, so being inactive on that phase does not really indicate future activity or a wasted slot.

Neon Borealis said:
My only gripe with inactive lynching is that, more often than not, inactive players tend to be town, because mafia are usually active early on in order to avoid suspicion. Of course, there are exceptions to this, and it could also give more activity to the thread.
Once again, he seems to backtrack in his own posts a lot, creating a really neutral attitude, and to me it seems overly so. There are exceptions to most everything, and to point that out seems both unnecessary and incredibly neutral.

Soulmaster said:
This goes and happens often, lynching an inactive won't do much. Yes, I for one have been inactive, but I can cite several games where that has happened and close to endgame I have led the town, so it isn't always a good thing. As well as lynching an inactive doesn't always boost activity, the person in question might post more but not necessarily others, again, speaking from experience.
But lynching an inactive would kill them, so they wouldn’t be posting more?

Also, using self-meta isn’t all that helpful, since of course somebody would want to present themself in a town-light, and can dig up examples from other games to “prove” that.

Froakie said:
I disagree mafia are active at the beginning. Ever heard of the term 'lying low'? I think mafia members are more likely to 'lie low' at the beginning than actually get involved in discussion, as later on they can use the excuse that they were just an inactive towny not knowing what to input ;p. Also it is only day one, so.
Games I’ve been in seem to have about half the mafia stay fairly quiet – especially early on – and the other half or so be active participants. Every game is different, but that seems like a mafia strategy that works and gets used somewhat frequently.

Have to say that I partially disagree with you here. We both know that the mafia will most definitely kill an active player, but I don't think lynching inactives is the way to go, at least not right now. That "wasted" slot like you said, could be an important asset to the town trying to go under the mafia's radar like somebody else mentioned. Also, if they're mafia then they put their team in a disadvantage.
From Wallflower (again, not wanting to give a notification to a subbed out player). It’s really weird to sound so certain of what mafia will do. And I don’t even think there’s much reason to be that certain that mafia would kill an active player, because there are many times that they will do the opposite just to either confuse everyone or to avoid giving any leads, so this bothers me a bit. Obviously she has subbed out since this and it’s not totally fair to judge her sub based on her actions, but I think it’s worth noting in regards to Dark Kyriaki.

Neon Borealis said:
I know this doesn't confirm or deny anything, but so is the case with all of us on day one.
Ending posts with comments like this just heap on more neutrality, and that’s something I see as scummy.

Ok, my bets right now. If Buoy's right about that slip-up (it's startlingly correct right now, awaiting Mido's response), then it means we've got a Mafia pair in Phoenicks and Midorikawa.
Another subbed out player (Gliscorman), but I honestly have no idea how the supposed slip-up about mislynching Phoenicks would so certainly mean Phoenicks is mafia? Even trying to look at it with just what happened up to that point, it seems like a dangerous leap in logic to make. Something to keep in mind about his sub, Miss Mew.

GengarWithSunglasses said:
Could someone please do a vote tally? I haven't formed an opinion yet, I'll finish reading the thread first, then I'll post again talking about my suspicions or why I don't have any.
At that point, there really wasn’t any reason to not have any suspicions at all. And saying that after asking for a vote tally makes it seem like he was going to base his suspicions mainly off whatever the votes were showing at the time.

Also, he never came back with his suspicions in a timely manner. And presently, he still has not. Without giving any suspicions or anything substantial in the slightest, it sure would be easy to hide under the radar and not be tied to anything...

General Notes on D1

• I see jda95 and Oswin voted with just simply a name and a smiley face.
  • Chronos and his vote on Noivern made sense.
  • Froakie in general seems to come across as town in responses, even though I disagree on how mafia is likely to behave in games.
  • Buoy and his argument with Dark Kyriaki seems very geniune and logical.
  • Terezi Pyrope came in saying that she’d look over the thread, then returns with a vote on Harpy built solely on that possible slip-up Buoy mentioned. If she really read the thread over, you’d think there’d have been more to comment on.
DAY 2
Harpy said:
1)There are 19 players other than Mijz so why question only him, especially at this point after the night phase? 2) Why are you not questioning about other players or is it you are afraid of me becoming the one that reveals you as scum?
Considering that this was from a time where she was focusing extremely hard on Phoenicks, to call out anyone for asking a single player a question seems a bit hypocritical. And that last bit doesn’t connect much to the rest of the post?

Harpy said:
Also GM its a mix of things that I see Phoenicks as mafia.
That didn’t answer his question hardly at all, as it didn’t give the actual basis for that “mix of things.”

Noivern said:
It feels like there's something hidden on both sides of the coin. I'm feeling uneasy.
So neutral, and also such a throwaway comment. And posts after this just kept heaping on the vagueness.

Mijzelffan said:
I don't recall ever seeing a mafioso with a role-stealing ability, while I've seen plenty of mafioso with a form of 1-shot lynch immunity (redirection, etc.)
It’s a possibility though, and not something that couldn’t make sense as a mafia ability, so that wasn’t a particularly persuasive reason to not vig-kill Harpy.

Most of his reasoning for not vig-killing her hinges on her actually being independent, which there isn’t any way of knowing for sure.

General Notes on D2

• Phoenicks seemed to use a lot of emotional appeals, and while it could be out of genuine frustration, there was enough of it to make it stand out to me.
  • Mijzelffan took quite a while to respond to Buoy’s question about Harpy, despite multiple notifications.
  • That Harpy was reluctant to out who she borrowed an ability from despite finding the ability scummy is suspicious, in that she was willing if others asked but wouldn’t on her own, even if it could help.
  • Once Phoenicks’s role was outed by Harpy, it would make him a good nightkill target, yet he is still alive.
NIGHT 2
Neon Borealis said:
... my head... it hurts... so much quotes...

Let me digest all the thread posts and I'll give my opinion.
The thing with these kind of posts is why even come in with this? Why not post when you’ve read through and formed your opinion on things?

As it is, this just seems like active lurking. And then when he did come back with a post:

Neon Borealis said:
As always, Noivern (aka Twiggy) is being incredibbly vaugue about everything. Maybe he is working behind the scenes, or maybe he is as clueless and neutral as he says. I can't get a ggod read on him.

I'd like to make note of Nytie, who started the vote on JJM and went pretty much undetected until almost the end of the phase, and even then, most of the attention was on Mijzelffan, Phoenicks and Harpy at that point.

The action of Harpy revealing Phoenick's role is confusing, to say the least. According to Mijz's logic, it could be bennefical, because he could have doc protection almost guaranteed, yet, Phoenicks is actinglike he really wanted to keep that under wraps. But then again, Phoenicks is a cautious player with that kind of info...
A fair bit of it is neutral, such as not getting a good read on Noivern (then why bring up Noivern over other players?) and in regards to Phoenicks. It's as though he really does not want to commit to anything.
AND BEYOND
Soulmaster said:
Howdy.

I honestly don't have one. Buoy is a bit under my scumdar(new word of the day) but not much.
By Day 3 in a game with 72 hour day phases, I have a hard time believing that somebody wouldn’t have more to say than that. Trying to avoid putting suspicion on any buddies?

Terezi Pyrope said:
in my defense, my being inactive has nothing to do with my playing style. I've been inactive both as town and as mafia, so going off of that isn't the best idea.

I also don't really think we should be nameclaiming, which is why I haven't done so already. so far it doesn't seem to have helped much.
If nameclaiming isn’t helping, why not ask some questions or mention some reads? Because this post isn’t helping much either.

Miss Mew said:
Somehow, Harpy really seems to be getting around... I don't trust Harpy either. But she is the vig now-it would be foolish to waste that ability but... Can we really trust her? For all we know she could doubletake one of us and make things worse. You on my point here? I'm not sure we can trust Harpy. But on the lynch topic, I agree on needing a more solid lynch, DrumBeats. The question is, who can't we trust... And who can we?
Neutral. And that last sentence is really unnecessary, and her following post with reads also is filled with neutrality. However, being that she is new and subbed in to the game late, I’m willing to wait a bit to see more from her.
The people I suspect of being the most likely scum are:

Oswin - in addition to just popping in and out frequently with not much contribution, what happened with Nytie is very incriminating.
Neon Borealis - All that neutrality is very scummy to me, and I think it's because you are trying really hard to avoid tying yourself to anything that could possibly come back to haunt you as mafia. He's my biggest concern after Oswin.
Harpy - her nameclaim and the whole "color of the independent" thing are worrying, and her behavior hasn't exactly been very helpful to town either. Plus, some of the usage of your ability is very questionable.

Also to a lesser extent than the above, I'm suspicious of the people who come in with very little to say, such as Terezi Pyrope, Soulmaster, and GengarWithSunglasses. While it's possible they legitimately don't have anything to add, I'd like to see more since the less posts a person has, the easier it is to avoid slipping up or avoiding attention. Dark Kyriaki is falling into this category as well as of late, and thinking about her predecessor's behavior (Wallflower), she might be the one to watch the most out of this group.

The people I suspect of being most likely town are:

Froakie - I didn't find anything that stood out to me as suspicious, and she's made a lot of sense.
Buoy - though I think sometimes the way he puts forth ideas makes him seem overly aggressive to some people which for some reason gets equated with mafia, he really has been asking useful questions and picking at useful points.
HumanDawn - the ability claim and claim of Harry Potter is one thing (that would be incredibly risky, and while we don't know if heroes can be villains here, the claim itself seems true), and he's been active in getting answers since subbing in.
Pokemaster97 - consistent town reads, and the Farnsworth thing only adds to that.

So with all that finally said...

VOTE: Oswin

With the intention of pursuing Neon Borealis or Harpy next day phase.

Last edited:

I just had a thought... even though in Walking Dead mafia I used the argument of mafia wouldn't ever no kill, what if the mafia intentionally did not put down a kill last night to make it more confusing for us that there was only one death? If Nytie died along with another player, then it would incriminate Oswin. If just Nytie died, we would get into the debate that we have already had about what happened. I don't think anyone has brought this up yet but I think it's a possibility.

I'm really sorry for not giving notice about my inactivity, things just happened out of the blue and I wasn't able to do anything about it. Again, sorry guys! /please forgive me :(

@FinalArcadia; If I am scum then please explain how Nytie did not die when she hid behind me. I don't know why Noivern's was different or if he was confused or even an actual indep but unless you've seen our role PMs then you and the others should not make assumptions.

@FinalArcadia; If I am scum then please explain how Nytie did not die when she hid behind me. I don't know why Noivern's was different or if he was confused or even an actual indep but unless you've seen our role PMs then you and the others should not make assumptions.
It's not just the color thing, it's that combined with your nameclaim, it seems like you could be mafia using your actual character name, but trying to come across as an independent and assumed that such an alignment would have one of the usual colors. It doesn't make much sense for there to be two different colors of independents, and if I'm going to choose one to believe, it's Noivern with his name claim and win-con. Plus while he has been really cryptic and vague during the game, actions like yours in stealing from Gliscorman and the ability in general make me suspicious of you.

As to why you didn't die, I think Buoy's possible theory here makes a lot of sense, especially with your character being such a big antagonist in Lost.

I'd rather lynch Neon Borealis over you next phase if I was to chose between the two of you, mainly because it could be that you're an independent as you've said that just has been behaving very oddly, whereas Neon Borealis has no such excuse and thus is a better bet as mafia, in my opinion. But even if you are an independent (which I am very hesitant to accept), I think it is dangerous for townies to be losing their abilities to an independent who could potentially side with mafia now or later in the game.

Well, I can't say anything. Other than I'm actually incredibly lazy when thinking of a response.

Why would I want to be neutral so late into the game. If I was mafía, I'd want to be as protown as possible.

Current vote count:

oswin - 7 (drumbeats, buoy, jda95, humandawn, froakie, noivern, finalarcadia)
harpy - 1 (oswin)

Well, I can't say anything. Other than I'm actually incredibly lazy when thinking of a response.

Why would I want to be neutral so late into the game. If I was mafía, I'd want to be as protown as possible.
But if you were town, shouldn't you want to be as pro-town as possible?

It sounds like you're admitting that you haven't been helping town, and rather than attempt to do so now, you're using something that can't be proven as a defense by simply telling us how you'd supposedly behave as mafia in here.

And that very type of "defense" is something I've seen mafia do quite recently - as recent as the Unova Mafia - so even aside from how impossible-to-prove it is, it's not a very effective defense, nor is it changing my opinion.

@FinalArcadia; If you think Neon is scum then why not vote him and attempt to shift the lynch onto him this phase? Oswin will most likely just stop the lynch so is it not better than a no lynch? Yet you still voted Oswin even though he had plenty of votes on him already. Why?

But if you were town, shouldn't you want to be as pro-town as possible?

It sounds like you're admitting that you haven't been helping town, and rather than attempt to do so now, you're using something that can't be proven as a defense by simply telling us how you'd supposedly behave as mafia in here.

And that very type of "defense" is something I've seen mafia do quite recently - as recent as the Unova Mafia - so even aside from how impossible-to-prove it is, it's not a very effective defense, nor is it changing my opinion.

Anyone can act protown if they want to. That's the main key for mafia players in order to survive (Of course, there are more styles, including the "I'm inactive so people don't notice me" style, which is basically my MO as I have recently noticed).

What can I do to be more protown then? I'm really not good at getting reads, or debating...

@FinalArcadia; If you think Neon is scum then why not vote him and attempt to shift the lynch onto him this phase? Oswin will most likely just stop the lynch so is it not better than a no lynch? Yet you still voted Oswin even though he had plenty of votes on him already. Why?
To me, that Nytie died after hiding behind Oswin is pretty good reason to lynch him. Plus, he hasn't exactly shown himself to seem particularly town-like either, as I mentioned here earlier (where I also said that Neon Borealis is of concern for lynching after Oswin, by which I meant that Oswin has more incriminating evidence against him):

FinalArcadia said:
Oswin - in addition to just popping in and out frequently with not much contribution, what happened with Nytie is very incriminating.
Neon Borealis - All that neutrality is very scummy to me, and I think it's because you are trying really hard to avoid tying yourself to anything that could possibly come back to haunt you as mafia. He's my biggest concern after Oswin.
Additionally, governor isn't a bad fakeclaim for mafia, since it discourages people from trying to lynch them. With how Mijz has already proven to have a vote-freezing ability way back on Day 1, I'm very skeptical of the governor thing anyway, and since Oswin has more against him than Mijz, I'm thinking Mijz is town and Oswin is mafia either with a scum-aligned lynch-stopping ability, or some other ability completely.

Neon Borealis said:
Anyone can act protown if they want to. That's the main key for mafia players in order to survive (Of course, there are more styles, including the "I'm inactive so people don't notice me" style, which is basically my MO as I have recently noticed).

What can I do to be more protown then? I'm really not good at getting reads, or debating...
I agree, but what I'm saying is that the reason you give that you aren't mafia - because you'd be trying to seem more pro-town - can kind of be reversed in that townies should always try to act pro-town as well since that's how they can better work toward eliminating mafia, so the defense really doesn't work.

With some practice at it you might improve with reads and debating, or if not those things, something like searching for contradictions in peoples' posts or other anomalies could be pro-town. Just anything that might lead to a discovery or some good discussion could be really helpful.

Why don't you? If you're trying to act a part of the town, at least vote for the people who the town has come to a consensus is mafia. It's all well and good you saying you'll lie low and not do anything, but actually voting for people you think is mafia and contributing is a lot better than you not putting in your own votes and instead ordering/heavily questioning other people to vote for somebody.

@Froakie; I'm not voting because I'm not sure who is mafia right now and I won't vote Oswin in case town decides to actually try to find someone else to lynch instead of wasting a day phase on him. I'll be at work so I can't change my vote but I don't understand why people continue to attempt to lynch Oswin instead of ignoring him since if Human is telling the truth then I will be able to vig kill him tonight with no problems.

@FinalArcadia; said:
Additionally, governor isn't a bad fakeclaim for mafia, since it discourages people from trying to lynch them. With how Mijz has already proven to have a vote-freezing ability way back on Day 1, I'm very skeptical of the governor thing anyway, and since Oswin has more against him than Mijz, I'm thinking Mijz is town and Oswin is mafia either with a scum-aligned lynch-stopping ability, or some other ability completely.

What? Um you do know Mijz is dead right? Also thats what a governor is: Lynch redirect or lynch stop. Oswin said its the second one. If you think Oswin is lying then what do you think of the fact that Phoenicks has a vote reflecting ability?

Also you said my nameclaim makes me scummy yet if I was scum why would I claim a villain, from a show I know nothing about nor knew any of the hosts watched instead of one from something like TWD that I know plenty about and know Paperhorse likes?

Vote: Oswin

Aside from a somewhat shaky claim, Oswin has not contributed much to the game (not saying that I have contributed though). Then trying to reflect the attention away from him and make Harpy look suspicious without very good logic disturbs me as well.

For who to lynch next, I think Neon Borealis is a possible target, since in his posts he seems like he doesn't want to take part in a myslynch or make any mistakes so he won't be blamed for the incident. His defense wasn't very good though, though it seems kind of honest (still not very good though). How about you state your opinion on Oswin right now and we'll consider it. Even if you aren't good at debating, you can still try and you might get better at it.

@Parma @Zenax @Paperhorse Also, I might be inactive for 3 real life days, because I'm going to a cottage for a while and I'm not sure if it has internet or a computer. I might be wrong though, so I might be able to continue to play.

Vote: Oswin

Aside from a somewhat shaky claim, Oswin has not contributed much to the game (not saying that I have contributed though). Then trying to reflect the attention away from him and make Harpy look suspicious without very good logic disturbs me as well.

To be honest I don't really have to do much to make Harpy look suspicious. Also I think it's pretty hypocritical of you to say that my lack of contribution makes me scum when you yourself admit you have also hardly participated.

For who to lynch next, I think Neon Borealis is a possible target, since in his posts he seems like he doesn't want to take part in a myslynch or make any mistakes so he won't be blamed for the incident. His defense wasn't very good though, though it seems kind of honest (still not very good though). How about you state your opinion on Oswin right now and we'll consider it.

So what, Neon repeats what everyone else has said about me and he's clear to you?

Last edited:

What? Um you do know Mijz is dead right? Also thats what a governor is: Lynch redirect or lynch stop. Oswin said its the second one. If you think Oswin is lying then what do you think of the fact that Phoenicks has a vote reflecting ability?
Ugh, that's what I get for responding at 1:00 in the morning. ^^; Okay, he was town, so that makes Oswin's claim even stranger to me. I know in effect the abilities are different somewhat, but it just feels like too many lynch-effecting powers for town. And I know that a governor is a lynch stopper; when I was talking about what he could be if mafia, I meant in a general sense an ability that affects lynches, but yeah, governor isn't inherently town anyway.

Harpy said:
Also you said my nameclaim makes me scummy yet if I was scum why would I claim a villain, from a show I know nothing about nor knew any of the hosts watched instead of one from something like TWD that I know plenty about and know Paperhorse likes?
I think that your nameclaim is real, but you're using it to try to pass as an independent. Town would be too hard to believe, since that character is apparently really villainous, but independent is a little bit easier to swallow. Plus, to use something that you know the hosts like would be risky, especially something like TWD when there was that mafia game not all that long ago, meaning somebody probably really does have a character from that and you'd risk picking the same one.

EDIT: Oops, missed one part of your post. Phoenicks and his claim make that pretty believable, since Crow would most likely be here and Black Thunder definitely works to explain the reason behind the ability, and I don't think he could fake that without knowledge of the show (though I guess it is possible that an ally could help with that). However, as seen on my big post with the quotes and all, I'm not counting him in the "most likely town" category because there are some posts that kind of made me wonder, so I'm definitely not thinking of him as clear because of the claim.

Last edited:

We've been making this too complicated.

If Oswin isn't lynched today, then Harpy vig-kills him. If he's lynched, Harpy doesn't.

Oswin, if you're town, recognize that we are going to kill you. If you are town, please abstain from saving yourself. If we waste time lynching you then the mafia get an extra nightkill to compensate.

We've been making this too complicated.

If Oswin isn't lynched today, then Harpy vig-kills him. If he's lynched, Harpy doesn't.

Oswin, if you're town, recognize that we are going to kill you. If you are town, please abstain from saving yourself. If we waste time lynching you then the mafia get an extra nightkill to compensate.

Roleblocking? It's pretty obvious Harpy is going to get roleblocked if there's one within the mafia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom