• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Main Series game with Adult Player Character?

If being an adult in the main series is optional, then i won't mind, since i like to roleplay my first game and being a clueless kid who knows nothing (Or little to nothing) about Pokemon (Despite me being a veteran) and make mistakes in the game where my character learns from. I don't think i would enjoy doing that if i would play as an adult, since in my head, it wouldn't make sense the character not knowing about Pokemon.

I think it would be cool but I don't think it's going to happen.

Best case scenario is protagonist designs where it's kinda ambiguous like Hilda and Hilbert or Calem and Serena.

Calem and Serena were definitely in the 15-18 range, but the chibi models (and de-aging in the anime for Serena) made that easy to forget.

How about if you could choose your protagonist's age in addition to their gender and skin tone? There could be three different age options, child, teenager and adult (aged 10, 15 and 20, perhaps) and the one you choose could even influence the storyline a little, or at least some of the dialogue. They could go back to having the opposite gender player character be your rival, so that their age can be adjusted accordingly too. If the protagonist's mum was designed to look like she's about 40, she could realistically be the mum of the child, teenager or adult versions of the protagonist.

Last edited:
Assuming the wild are is a test to push more towards an open world mmo type setup I think having further choice on the character customisation like age (or height and build at least) would be very useful. Sometimes walking around the wild area/Isle of Armor it does feel a bit like there should be greater variety in the age of those around

Calem and Serena were definitely in the 15-18 range, but the chibi models (and de-aging in the anime for Serena) made that easy to forget.

Calem and Serena were 16+, as evident by Emma's way of adressing them.

First of, we all know this ain't gonna happen so just to be clear on that. But when we consider a "what if" scenario then we can talk better. I think it be a great idea, many people who grow up with Gen 1 (like me) stayed fans of Pokemon over the years and should be in the mid 20 to mid 30 range of age now, maybe even some a little older.
I sure wish there were more Games/Mangas that are aimed to closer my age group with more complicated characters/story/background and an entirely different sets of possible themes and problems, that are more mature being handled by it. In case of Pokemon I could imagine a couple of options. Let's start with something tame like someone with a burn-out recovers with the help of a Pokemon journey he/she never took. Then there may be someone questioning his/her life choices and the meeting of people on a Pokemon journey helps finding a new, better way in life. We could become a bit darker like someones family broke apart and Pokemon helping to patch things up. Or someone flat-out lost his/her family in a catastrophe, possible caused by an evil team or an accident and before ending it all, Pokemon prevent that in one way or another and drag that Person out of this abyss. I could go on but I think you get the idea now.
There is definitely potential but it is also risky in multiple ways. Not just financially but it would most likely be called insensitive by some people. Doing things like that in a good way are generally hard as well even though occasionally the Anime for example dipped into that kind of territory. It was pretty vague when it came up but it came up. It just never was really pursued or got banned/dropped for one reason or another, just to stay kid friendly.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom