• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Main Series or Spinoff?

If it happened in real life it is non fiction. If the games are compatible with gen 7 or 8 then they are main series.

Until I see trade or transfer compatibility then it is ambiguous.

Ah, you're right. I forgot Ruby and Sapphire were spin-offs. They couldn't trade with a SINGLE game on release. Gee whiz, how pathetic.

@EmpoleonProd Everytime I don't think I need to explain something the internet always proves me wrong.

I said gen VII OR gen VIII not necessarily both. If it does what gen III does i.e. replace the previous chain of compatible games with a new one then, it is not a spin-off.

However if it creates it's own chain separate from what comes before and after that's the very definition of a spin-off.

If it happened in real life it is non fiction. If the games are compatible with gen 7 or 8 then they are main series.

I'd be surprised if LGPE didn't have Bank compatibility down the road. SM had VC RGBY (and GSC eventually) and it would make sense if the next generation had LGPE (and thus also Go to an extent).

@EmpoleonProd Everytime I don't think I need to explain something the internet always proves me wrong.

I said gen VII OR gen VIII not necessarily both. If it does what gen III does i.e. replace the previous chain of compatible games with a new one then, it is not a spin-off.

However if it creates it's own chain separate from what comes before and after that's the very definition of a spin-off.

Because they were the start of a new generation

I see you both aren't very well versed in the art of sarcasm.

My mistake.

The point both of you missed was that, just because this game can't trade with other games (hypothetical assumption), doesn't mean it won't gain that ability in the future, so you can't grant the title of main series only based on the ability to trade with other titles just on release, otherwise RS would be considered side games by your standards.

Anyways, this topic has been beat to death. It's main series. Anyone in any notable position of development or production of these titles has said so. It's not a debate and quite honestly this thread should've been deleted a week ago. As we get more and more info and footage of the games, it becomes that much more clear that it's a main series title.

@EmpoleonProd Gen VIII is the future! What are talking about?!

How the hell can you tell me that I missed that point when I brought it up before you and addressed it. If by future you meant FAR FUTURE then geez I'm TOTALLY sorry for not considering the possibility that these games can be not compatible with the 2019 but at the same time compatible with the 2021 titles. Pardon me for not considering that very likely possibility.

I am versed in sarcasm btw. Also "Everytime I don't think I need to explain something the internet always proves me wrong." I did consider the possibility that both gen VII and let's go would be compatible with gen VIII but not each other. I implyed that possibility when I first said gen VII OR gen VIII.

Last edited:
I see you both aren't very well versed in the art of sarcasm.

My mistake.

The point both of you missed was that, just because this game can't trade with other games (hypothetical assumption), doesn't mean it won't gain that ability in the future, so you can't grant the title of main series only based on the ability to trade with other titles just on release, otherwise RS would be considered side games by your standards.

Anyways, this topic has been beat to death. It's main series. Anyone in any notable position of development or production of these titles has said so. It's not a debate and quite honestly this thread should've been deleted a week ago. As we get more and more info and footage of the games, it becomes that much more clear that it's a main series title.
It is a debate. And you’re missing the point of why. Is it a kind of yellow remake? Yes. Does that automatically make it part of the main series? No. Despite all the additions and changes, the basics of the main series have always been the same. This game changes a lot of them. And with the recent release of gameplay footage, we know that even more so it is different. So we have to wonder how this will effect the series. What features will remain or have any relevance? Will it start a new line of games like ranger and pmd? Or will this be the only one like Pokémon conquest. Thee creators can call it a main game all they want, but there is a different between a main game of the main series and a side game. Pokemon coliseum and XD use Similar mechanics to the main games, but they are side games. This remains undefined. And everyone has the right to debate what it is, because at this time there is nothing that makes it 100% defined. Saying otherwise is just dismissing others opinions and thoughts. As more information comes out, the area it belongs in will become clearer and clearer. Fans have the right to judge it who they want.

It is a debate. And you’re missing the point of why. Is it a kind of yellow remake? Yes. Does that automatically make it part of the main series? No. Despite all the additions and changes, the basics of the main series have always been the same. This game changes a lot of them. And with the recent release of gameplay footage, we know that even more so it is different. So we have to wonder how this will effect the series. What features will remain or have any relevance? Will it start a new line of games like ranger and pmd? Or will this be the only one like Pokémon conquest. Thee creators can call it a main game all they want, but there is a different between a main game of the main series and a side game. Pokemon coliseum and XD use Similar mechanics to the main games, but they are side games. This remains undefined. And everyone has the right to debate what it is, because at this time there is nothing that makes it 100% defined. Saying otherwise is just dismissing others opinions and thoughts. As more information comes out, the area it belongs in will become clearer and clearer. Fans have the right to judge it who they want.

This game changes precisely one, and that's how wild encounters work, very similar to how SM changed precisely one, and that was gyms to island trials.

Colosseum and XD were NEVER marketed as main series, those are side series, PMD and Ranger are even a step further, those are identified as spin-offs. Just for the fact that battles work the same automatically ruled out this game EVER being a spin-off, and the fact that there's gym badges and a Pokemon League all-but automatically makes this a main series title, the confirmation from the developers is what makes it 100% fact. Even our own bulbapedia acknowledges that much.

Pokémon games - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

If this didn't make it obvious a week ago then I don't know what will, at this point nobody is arguing whether it's a spin-off, main series, or whatever as a definitive statement, they're using "spin-off" as a derogatory remark because they don't agree with some changes with the game.

Besides, calling these games a spin-off is just flat out stupid. No spin-off shares the basic mechanics of a main series game, those ones are called side games (XD, Colosseum, etc) and those games are the ones that are similar but not to a usual main series journey, but these games are EXACTLY a main series game's journey. It's no debate.

Calling it a spin-off or side series just proves everybody's ignorance at this point. It's honestly pathetic and a waste of forum space imo.

Gamefreak decides what is classed as main series or not, not us. Therefor, you can argue against it as much as you want, it still doesn't change the fact that this is a new kind of main series title, seperate from the current main series titles. If this becomes a new series of games, then we'll essentially have two different core series'.

My Honest opinion, I think they are a hybrid to help unite players who are part of the Go crowd to the main line pokemon Games while expanding features and hyping up for the Gen 8 Mainline Games.
I do not think Let's Go will be a separate game line but it very well could.
I do think the mainline games will be different from here on out for the future. I think this Let's Go game is a stepping stone to future mainline games.
I think many of the features but not all of the features will be taken from Let's Go to future mainline pokemon games. (of course these features that are kept would be improved on and possibly expanded on)
And to conclude: All at the same time Pokemon is not just a handheld game but moving on to tv consoles for mainline pokemon games. To my understanding Gen 8 that is coming in 2019 will be on the Switch.

Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu and Eevee aren't main series, but they aren't spin-off or side games. They are hybrids.

Gamefreak only uses the term Main Series for marketing purposes (Every sidegame/Spin off sells worse than a main series game).

Less than double? thats actually really bad IMO. I figured it'd be a good 10-20 times more etc
1.8 billion is really bad? You have unrealistic expectations. Most people play the game for free.

nickdt said:
While this is true, GO is a free app (Do you think it would be so popular if people had too pay for it, nope) and you can decide too spent money in it or not.
Except that I'm talking about profits, so the people in question did pay for it. The comparison to retail games may be problematic, but the bottom line is that Go is more profitable.

1.8 billion is really bad? You have unrealistic expectations. Most people play the game for free.

Except that I'm talking about profits, so the people in question did pay for it. The comparison to retail games may be problematic, but the bottom line is that Go is more profitable.

I find it REALLY unlikely that gen 7 on its own made 900 million considering you said Pokemon GO made double what the gen 7 games did

Well, maybe they did since $40 times the amount of sales is just over 900 million dollars. That's ridiculous but also, you gotta take away the money they paid tbh

Last edited:
23.6 million copies between SM and USUM (as of March)
40 dollars per copy (not universally, but still)

That's an estimate of 944 million dollars. Granted, most of the sales come from stores, so perhaps 25% goes to retailers and another 5% go to the production of the package, cartridge and manual. That leaves at least 661 million dollars for Nintendo and Game Freak.

Last edited:
Ridic that

all that money and they still feel the need to change it up like this

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom