• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Main Series Pokemon Games on Smartphones

Would you like Main Series games on Smartphones?

• Yes, wynaut?

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Nope. Pokemon go is enough.

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters
Reaction score
As The Pokemon company has earlier said, Pokemon receives a lot of competition with smartphone apps, the reason they have to exclude battle frontier from ORAS.
So, can we expect main series Pokemon games on smartphones?
Pokemon go is a great first step towards it. I wouldn't mind if it is not free, but I would like to see some main series smartphone games for Pokemon.

What are your thoughts?

The smartphone reason for excluding the battle frontier from ORAS is possibly the biggest bunch of crap to come from anyone affiliated with Nintendo.
And they will not put main series games on smartphones outside of the occasional emulator that can play them because the series is still far too lucrative on handhelds to sell them on smartphones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No way this is happening. GF wouldn't do that to the fans. Handhelds will always be a thing since everyone would access to them.

Hell. No.

If a main series game were to be on a smartphone, there would have to be a lot less content for it to fit within the memory capabilities. You'd either get something with less content than Gen II, or something that takes up so much space that you'd pretty much need to buy a second phone in order to fit it. Besides, we'd lose any double-screen features, unless the image quality were to suffer as well. Furthermore, you'd need to have one of the best phones available in 2016 to support the hardware requisites for Sun and Moon, so 95% of the fanbase would likely be unable to get such a game.

I'd rather not. It just seems like a recipe for disaster due to memory capabilities (like somebody else said) and it wouldn't be as easy to access for some folks. Sometimes its better not to be cute and just stay with what is clearly working!

I hope we never go that route. A phone is not a real console.

A phone is not a real console.
Even ignoring the memory and OS requirements, there's still the fact that a smartphone's primary (and sometimes only) control interface is touchscreen input -- you cannot simply port a game designed around a control stick and buttons to an exclusively touchscreen device; you'd either have to add an onscreen interface to replicate the standard controls, or you'd have to rethink your control scheme (and possibly whole game design) from the ground up. Pokemon Shuffle works on phones in no small part because it was designed to use touchscreen input exclusively.

Or, if you prefer a TLDR version:

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom