• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Making the Unova League better

I agree with most of the things you've said.
Though Ash vs Trip is fine as is. It was a terrible rivalry (and character), and deserves a terrible ending to match.
I think whilst their rivalry was bad it is still a rivalry and normally Pokemon does it well so I just cannot comprehend why it [league battle] was done badly.

Trip shouldn't have even existed, neither should have Cameron.
I didn't like it how poorly the Ash Trip rivalry was, it could have been a 3 vs 3, but I ain't too bothered because Trip wasn't even a good rival, and there wasn't any good reason for why he and Ash are rivals. It was forced.
Also, they shouldn't have had Togepi 2.0 get lost during the middle of the League, it was entirely pointless.

Trip shouldn't have even existed, neither should have Cameron.
I didn't like it how poorly the Ash Trip rivalry was, it could have been a 3 vs 3, but I ain't too bothered because Trip wasn't even a good rival, and there wasn't any good reason for why he and Ash are rivals. It was forced.
Also, they shouldn't have had Togepi 2.0 get lost during the middle of the League, it was entirely pointless.
I agree that they are bad rivals however I think they should exist but they should plan them more carefully, give them good backgrounds and good development. They carefully planned out Paul and Zoey and that worked out so well. Anime producers should know that copying and pasting previous characters don't work out well which is why Trip was awful.

I agree that their rivalry was boring but there needed to be sufficient closure seeing as he was Ash's main rival. The Serperior vs Pikachu match felt rushed and too quick so it didn't end properly. Ash vs Paul was executed well because there was passion, excitement, cliffhangers etc and that is what the end of the series should be like, a climax at their last battle because we won't see them again (probably). So the producers should make it the best they can and the really screwed up the Unova League.

I hope this clarifies my arguments :D

Ash vs. Paul was executed really well, but that was because their rivalry was a key aspect of the entire series. Even before Ash got Chimchar, their rivalry was important because Paul was basically the polar opposite of Ash. Of course Ash would challenge him whenever he could to to prove that his method of training was effective. They literally spent years developing their rivalry so that their final confrontation in the Sinnoh League would have a lot more weight to it.

The reason they didn't do something similar with Trip was because their rivalry was no where near as important. It was rarely brought up if Trip wasn't featured in the episode, Ash didn't have much of an impact on Trip, Ash didn't have a more personal reason for battling Trip other than just wanting to battle him and Trip had virtually no interest in battling him after their first match. Iris basically insulting Trip for not battling forced Trip to agree to battle against Ash for their second and third matches. Not only did that show more of Iris being a hypocrite, but it showed that Trip couldn't be bothered to battle Ash unless an outside source basically forced him to do so. Just because he was considered the main rival doesn't mean that he was entitled to the same kind of climatic battle that Paul had, especially when their rivalry lacked the development and emphasis throughout BW to make it warrant a full battle. They were both the main rivals, but handled in completely different ways.

Ash vs. Paul was executed really well, but that was because their rivalry was a key aspect of the entire series. Even before Ash got Chimchar, their rivalry was important because Paul was basically the polar opposite of Ash. Of course Ash would challenge him whenever he could to to prove that his method of training was effective. They literally spent years developing their rivalry so that their final confrontation in the Sinnoh League would have a lot more weight to it.

The reason they didn't do something similar with Trip was because their rivalry was no where near as important. It was rarely brought up if Trip wasn't featured in the episode, Ash didn't have much of an impact on Trip, Ash didn't have a more personal reason for battling Trip other than just wanting to battle him and Trip had virtually no interest in battling him after their first match. Iris basically insulting Trip for not battling forced Trip to agree to battle against Ash for their second and third matches. Not only did that show more of Iris being a hypocrite, but it showed that Trip couldn't be bothered to battle Ash unless an outside source basically forced him to do so. Just because he was considered the main rival doesn't mean that he was entitled to the same kind of climatic battle that Paul had, especially when their rivalry lacked the development and emphasis throughout BW to make it warrant a full battle. They were both the main rivals, but handled in completely different ways.
Fair enough but one of my secondary points is that as the main rival, he should've faced him at a later stage. I think I have changed my mind about the climatic factor because of your well-argued point. :D

maybe it's just that I am a huge fan of his but I was very fond of Trip and his rivalry. I wanted them to have that 6 on 6 because the one on one wasn't really enough to show off their talents especially for a rival. He was definitely screwed over. :( what a waste of a good character

He was definitely screwed over. :( what a waste of a good character
You mean what a waste of Paul 2.0? Seriously, he was a bad copy and paste and it was a terrible character development. In my opinion, they cannot have a Paul 2.0 right after Paul... it just doesn't work!

The tournament form that I would have liked:
1st round (1 vs 1), 128 competitors
Ash vs random , all the rivals advance

2nd round (3 vs 3), 64 competitors
Ash vs Cameron

3rd round (3 vs 3), 32 competitors
Ash vs Stephan

4th round (6 vs 6), 16 competitors
Ash vs Trip , Bianca vs Virgil

5th round (6 vs 6), 8 competitors
Ash vs Virgil

Episodes:
9 episodes. 1 introductory episode. 1 episode per round up to the 3rd. From the 4th round, the episodes are two-parter. 1 finale episode. No fillers.

EDIT:
I guess the battles in each round can be switched around for viewer's sake. However, Ash losing to Virgil should have happened to wrap up the league arc nicely. Plus, like others have said, it would have been a great opportunity to show the new generation pokemon (Sylveon) and not waste a good character.

Last edited:
I would have Kotestu not appear at all and have it between Satoshi, Shootie, Bel, Kenyan, and Virgil. I'd have Satoshi lose to Virgil in the semi-finals and Virgil lose to a random Trainer.

Virgil lose to a random Trainer.
I think it would make sense for the winner to be someone we at least vaguely know and Virgil is such a nice guy in the anime with a great team so I think it was good he won. That was the only good thing to come out the of League, the rest was terrible.

I think Ash should have defeated Trip in a full battle, since only his Serperior and Conkeldurr were shown to have fully evolved. The Axew filler was completely pointless. What was even the point of not recalling Pignite when Cameron sent out Samurott? Finally, I think they should have made Ash defeat Cameron, only to lose to Virgil.

One evolving, I'd have liked to see Snivy evolve to defeat Lucario personally.

One evolving, I'd have liked to see Snivy evolve to defeat Lucario personally.
Snivy is the one Pokemon I wouldn't want to see evolve personally. Of course, the anime producers would make Pikachu go against Lucario because Lucario is Cameron's main Pokemon so it makes sense. But yes I would have liked to see how Snivy would deal with a Lucario actually.

I'm so happy this thread exists. In my pc I have re-written every episode of BW(major events only tho) in the way I think they would be better. Best Wishes series had many awsome characters and plot but the writers didn't handle it good at all. If they would have handled it the way they handled DP, then BW would have been amazing. BW is one of my fav series so, here are some of my opinions on how BW could have been better:

- Cilan being a coordinator instead of a connosseiur, or even both given that they did nothing with his goal
- Cilan capturing Leavanny instead of Ash.
- All the rivals to have at least 5 pokemon
- The Unova Grand Festival could be held in the Decolore Islands, and that's why the gang travels to Kanto through the archipelago.
- N being a coordinator as well with Zoroark in his team.
- N winning the Unova Grand Festival.
- Jessie and Burgundy (and maybe Luke) also participate in the Grand Festival.
(The following event totally not happening but it's one of my favs)
- Iris defeats Drayden earning her 8th badge and qualifies to compete in the Unova League. She is the champion in the games in B2W2 so this is logical. In manga, she takes part in the league as well.
- Bianca facing Ash in the league.
- Iris loosing to Ash in top 16/8, Ash defeating Cameron and Bianca and loosing to Virgil.
- If Ash would loose to any of his rivals I would rather it be Bianca or Virgil and not Cameron.

Last edited:
I'm so happy this thread exists. In my pc I have re-written every episode of BW(major events only tho) in the way I think they would be better. Best Wishes series had many awsome characters and plot but the writers didn't handle it good at all. If they would have handled it the way they handled DP, then BW would have been amazing. BW is one of my fav series so, here are some of my opinions on how BW could have been better:

- Cilan being a coordinator instead of a connosseiur, or even both given that they did nothing with his goal
- The Unova Grand Festival could be held in the Decolore Islands, and that's why the gang travels to Kanto through the archipelago.
- Iris defeats Drayden earning her 8th badge and qualifies to compete in the Unova League. She is the champion in the games in B2W2 so this is logical. In manga, she takes part in the league as well.
- Iris loosing to Ash in top 16/8, Ash defeating Cameron and Bianca and loosing to Virgil.
- If Ash would loose to any of his rivals I would rather it be Bianca or Virgil and not Cameron.

Shoot me your ideas one of these days, I talk to some top debating types and work a neat retelling of the anime (with such unique things as Ash capturing Exeggutors and Ash being more than a packmule on Princess Day), but I do have a question.

Why Bianca so high up?

Bianca improved in the Clubsplosion, but it seems an odd choice to have her so high up compared to say, Stephan (who is my fav Unovan Rival), and no mention of Trip.

Also Cilan and Leavanny? Leavanny is a Pokemon I happen to like Ash having and Leavanny always gives a nice show when it did appear. Ash's Pokemon appearing more often is a problem I'd alleviate with a more redundant mon, like Palpitoad, before Leavanny.

(Seriously, I will believe that Palpitoad only exists because the Rocket versus Plasma arc got canned and Ash was supposed to get Krokorok then until Shudo comes back from the dead and shows me otherwise. It explains frankly too much, from Krokorok's odd absence, the lack of use of the toad, and even what happened to Roggenrola's Stone Edge).

I really like all of these! I kinda wish this is how it played out in the anime now

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom