• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Making the Unova League better

if they could make the contests in the games more like they are in the anime portrayed like in gen III and IV then it would be really ok.

Would it be a problem to make contest battles that last 5 turns and that not only damage is important, but also the moves them self and relations between them?

It would be really interesting to see a royal battle contes.

Yes they made a mistake with gen 5, 6 and 7 when they ditched them totally in the way they were, there was more battling with more style in it, in a other way.

When it comes to the league itself they made a big failure in not making diffrent battle fields
and making use of them like they did in gen 1, 3, 4, 6. People like to see diffrent battle fields, not pure earth style.
Ice, grass, rocky, water, sand, waterfall, forest battlefield. Its weird that we didnt get in the games more relations between pokemon, types, abilities and battle fields like speed, evasion and accuracy damage, changes when it comes to that.

A sandy desert with a piramid and sphinx would be a really cool battlefield
or a ice field with iglos to hide and ice scultures on the battle field. Maybe with a snowy mountain in the middle of the battle field?
Or a field with roman or greek kolums.
Or a battle field like a cementary, with spiderwebs for ghost, dark and bug types.
I could imagine even a glass pillar battle field with windows and plates to climb to make a problem for flying and levitating pokemon fight against land going pokemon.
Or a muddy swamp battlefield similar like in gen3 water gym. But more muddy and swampy.

A maze labyrynth battle field that trainers need to look above?

a diffrent maze like earth thats put in a glass with many tunnels as a system, a big problem for flying and levitating pokemon.

Or many similar and mixed fields that half of the field is this and half of the field is that.

Last edited:
Would it be a problem to make contest battles that last 5 turns and that not only damage is important, but also the moves them self and relations between them?
Being an avid contest anime watcher myself, I would think it would be quite boring if it was just 5 turns one after the other. I think the way they portrayed the contests in the anime is really good and I prefer it to gym battles. It shows flashy moves in a new way that is exciting and fast-paced.

I don't understand where people get the notion that there is too much rivals for Satoshi in BW.
Sinnoh: Shinji, Takuto, Kouhei, Jun, Naoshi
Isshu: Bel, Kenyan, Shooti, Kotetsu, Virgil
Kalos: Alan, Trova, Tierno, Shouta

I think Isshu League is a deserved ending to BW's storyline. I'm also happy with how they resolved Shooti and Satoshi's rivalry. Everyone wanted Satoshi to be defeated by Virgil and his newly evolved Nymphia but I think it's a really boring way to end the league and a rehash of Satoshi's Johto defeat.

I mostly agree with DragonKahuna's points, giving focus to Bel and Iris as Satoshi's league rivals is a good way to make them relevant. Cabernet and Langley too could be used in the league, it would make their overall roles in BW less pointless.

Key Players:
Satoshi
Iris
Shooti
Kotetsu
Cabernet
Langley
Virgil
Bel
Koharu
Kenyan

1st round (1 vs 1) 128 competitors
Satoshi vs Shooti
Cabernet vs Random
Iris vs Random
Langley vs Random
Kenyan vs Random
Bel vs Random
Virgil vs Random
Koharu vs Random
Kotetsu vs Random

2nd round (2 vs 2) 64 competitors
Satoshi vs Kotetsu
Langley vs Cabernet
Iris vs Random
Kenyan vs Random
Bel vs Random
Virgil vs Random
Koharu vs Random

3rd round (3 vs 3) 32 competitors
Satoshi vs Kenyan
Iris vs Langley
Bel vs Random
Virgil vs Random
Koharu vs Random

4th round (3 vs 3) 16 competitors
Satoshi vs Iris
Bel vs Random
Virgil vs Random
Koharu vs Random

Quarter Finals (6 vs 6) 8 competitors
Bel vs Satoshi
Virgil vs Random
Koharu vs Random

Semi Finals (6 vs 6) 4 competitors
Virgil vs Bel
Koharu vs Dino

Final (6 vs 6)
Koharu vs Virgil

Last edited:
Being an avid contest anime watcher myself, I would think it would be quite boring if it was just 5 turns one after the other. I think the way they portrayed the contests in the anime is really good and I prefer it to gym battles. It shows flashy moves in a new way that is exciting and fast-paced.
for me the "time and point" system was new that someone could win even if he didn't take out the oponents HP to zero.

for me the "time and point" system was new that someone could win even if he didn't take out the oponents HP to zero.
It was one of the best additions to the contest scene and the anime in general

then how many in-game turns then? to not make a pokemon faint to quickly?
Well I was referring to what it might be like in a contest and what I am saying is that a contest is about the style of the moves not the fainting of Pokemon and therefore it shouldn't be move based.

I don't understand where people get the notion that there is too much rivals for Satoshi in BW.
Sinnoh: Shinji, Takuto, Kouhei, Jun, Naoshi
Isshu: Bel, Kenyan, Shooti, Kotetsu, Virgil
Kalos: Alan, Trova, Tierno, Shouta

I think Isshu League is a deserved ending to BW's storyline. I'm also happy with how they resolved Shooti and Satoshi's rivalry. Everyone wanted Satoshi to be defeated by Virgil and his newly evolved Nymphia but I think it's a really boring way to end the league and a rehash of Satoshi's Johto defeat.

I mostly agree with DragonKahuna's points, giving focus to Bel and Iris as Satoshi's league rivals is a good way to make them relevant. Cabernet and Langley too could be used in the league, it would make their overall roles in BW less pointless.

Key Players:
Satoshi
Iris
Shooti
Kotetsu
Cabernet
Langley
Virgil
Bel
Koharu
Kenyan

1st round (1 vs 1) 128 competitors
Satoshi vs Shooti
Cabernet vs Random
Iris vs Random
Langley vs Random
Kenyan vs Random
Bel vs Random
Virgil vs Random
Koharu vs Random
Kotetsu vs Random

2nd round (2 vs 2) 64 competitors
Satoshi vs Kotetsu
Langley vs Cabernet
Iris vs Random
Kenyan vs Random
Bel vs Random
Virgil vs Random
Koharu vs Random

3rd round (3 vs 3) 32 competitors
Satoshi vs Kenyan
Iris vs Langley
Bel vs Random
Virgil vs Random
Koharu vs Random

4th round (3 vs 3) 16 competitors
Satoshi vs Iris
Bel vs Random
Virgil vs Random
Koharu vs Random

Quarter Finals (6 vs 6) 8 competitors
Bel vs Satoshi
Virgil vs Random
Koharu vs Random

Semi Finals (6 vs 6) 4 competitors
Virgil vs Bel
Koharu vs Dino

Final (6 vs 6)
Koharu vs Virgil

I totally agree with you. This is how I would have made the Unova League. I really like that you included Koharu among the others. I still find it odd how they didn't make Ash battle/meet Koharu/Katharine.
----
There are also some other details I would like to share (my version):
The gang teams
Ash: Pikachu, Unfezant, Dewott, Simisear, Servine, Scraggy, Krookodile (and Crustle)
Iris: Axew, Excadrill, Pignite, Emolga, Dragonite, GIble/Fraxure
Cilan: Pansage, Sawsbuck, Stunfisk, Leavanny
Jessie: Swoobat, Frillish, Trubbish
James: Yamask, Amoonguss, Darumaka

Misty returns in BW to capture a Swanna for using it in a water ballet she and her sisters will hold in their gym.
After returning to Pallet Town, Ash gives his Palpitoad and Boldore to Misty and Brock (They are my fav companions and I want them to be included, also the capture of Palpitoad and Boldore alwasy felt nonsense to me)

Either Cameron doesn't beat Ash, or you do a way better job of justifying that Cameron could beat Ash.

So, for option two:

-Better explanation of how he got a Hydreigon to be obedient when that should be even harder than Charizard. As it is, it feels kinda unfair to Ash when some idiot can successfully raise a Hydreigon while Ash went through hell with getting through to Charizard.
-It would've been much more fascinating if Cameron was actually just someone who pretended to be dumb to catch people off guard. We already have a ton of prominent "nice, honest idiot" and "energetic kid" characters in anime, that would've been a simple way to spice things up a bit.
-No mid-battle Lucario evo. In fact, if it were up to me, every convenient mid-battle evo would be removed from the whole series. Even when it's a main character doing it, it always feels kind of cheap and unfair. Cameron either keeps Riolu, or gets Lucario before the battle even starts.
-Cameron keeps up the "dumb luck and brute strength" illusion until he battles Ash and figures he's gotten far enough to drop the act. Ash still puts up a good fight, but Cameron stomps him.
-Make it feel like it's still kind of Ash's fault by having there still be a few obvious hints beforehand that Cameron wasn't actually dumb, but Ash missed them and let his guard down a bit anyway. Maybe Cameron even tried to purposely hint at it to give Ash a fair chance to figure it out, but Ash still didn't realize soon enough.

Also, Ash vs. Trip was really lackluster in my opinion, and the whole rivalry in general felt kind of lame. I feel like Sawyer was a way better attempt at the idea of a talented novice.

So, for this case:

-Give Trip a better reason to not like Ash... I know they would've never specifically done what I'm about to suggest, but it would be really interesting if Trip actually recognized Ash from Ash's battle with Tobias (because I feel like a guy battling Legendaries would get a lot of media attention) and secretly felt threatened and kind of envious and inferior... So, he keeps putting on the smug act as a sort of defense mechanism.
-Ash still wins against him at first, motivating Trip to try even harder than he would've otherwise.
-They battle a bit more often than canon, and Trip becomes able to beat Ash, just feeding his smug attitude.
-However, Trip still has an inferiority complex going, and winning starts to feel kind of hollow, because Ash also shows himself to be kinder and more noble/heroic, along with having loyal human friends and a bunch of cool previous adventures, giving Trip more to be envious of.
-Upon realizing that defeating Ash isn't satisfying anymore, Trip is forced to do some soul-searching. Bonus points for some kind of reveal that his family is putting a lot of pressure on him, or something else to make him a little more sympathetic.
-He steadily realizes that you can't magically be a good person and get everything you want just by winning battles.
-His relationship with Ash is already on the mend before their final battle even starts, and even though he loses, he still manages to do a good job and have fun just by discarding his unhealthy inferiority complex.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom