• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Male vs. Female

Which do you pick?

• Female

Votes: 35 10.4%
  • Male

Votes: 58 17.2%
  • Genderless

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • I don't care

Votes: 71 21.1%
  • Depends

Votes: 130 38.6%
  • Mixed

Votes: 39 11.6%

• Total voters
Generally, i don't care at all, especially if the Pokemon doesn't have any gender differences (Or visible color differences with gender, like Meowstic).
However, for other Pokemon that have them, i prefer one of the other (I prefer Female Meowstic over the male) and for Pokemon that don't make sense to be a specific gender, i catch the gender i think fits the most (Male Machop, female Gardevoir).

It ultimately depends on the Mon in question, though I'm perfectly fine using either gender in most cases. I also like to have at least one Mon that's a different gender on the team, too. Most of the time my team consists of males with one or two females, though it can vary from time to time.

However, I do prefer certain Mons to be a particular gender. Gardevoir, for example, I always make sure is female, not because of the whole feminine looks and such, but rather as a tribute to a story series idea that I had that never got off the ground, where the main character's main Mon is a female Gardevoir named Lora. Toxicroak is Mon I generally prefer to be male, as I like naming him Junko after the Wallop strongman character from Storm Hawks. Galvantula is one that I can sway either way on, though I usually "prefer" females so I can name her Rachnera, though I'm perfectly fine having a male name Tarantulas, too, so it really just boils down to what gender I run into first (and as long as it has Compound Eyes, too). I'm also perfectly fine with female Starters, too, and have run several in the past. As of recent, Cinderace has been the Starter that has ended up female the most times for me. While I still get males, too, I've had a fair few Cinderaces that were female (usually named Lexi from Loonatics Unleashed or Lucy from Fairy Tail), which I'm cool with.

So, overall, unless the Mon in question is one that I specifically prefer a certain gender, I can swing both ways when it comes to genders and team building with said genders. Males tend to be a bit more dominate at times but I always have at least one female on-hand, so I'm all for "gender equality" when it comes to this franchise.

Last edited:
It definitely depends for me. For most Pokemon, I really don't care what their gender is. But if the Pokemon's design is very masculine, I generally prefer to have a male, and if the design is very feminine, I like to have a female. Every once in a while, I'll want a particular gender just because I already came up with a really good name that happens to not be gender neutral. Though I never ever like to have teams where there's only one gender across all my mons. I like to have it at either 3:3, 2:4, or 4:2.

I tend to go for male Pokemon if possible, but for more feminine designs like a Gardevoir or Primarina, for example, I like having female Pokemon more. For masculin Pokemon I always go for males, like I'd much rather have a male Machamp than a female one.

I don't really care about the pokemon's gender and just go with whatever I hatch or capture first, I just leave it up to chance to determine it. Generally on this basis my teams on playthroughs usually end up being and even split or there being four males to two females. My Shield team ended up being the opposite though with 5 females to 1 male, with my starter also being female.

I basically don't care about the sex of my Pokemon except in... pretty specific examples.

I like both Frillish, but I dislike the female Jellicent and like the male Jellicent

I have a soft spot for Nidoking but am pretty indifferent towards Nidoqueen

I prefer the female Meowstic over male Meowstic.

I overall like the Hatterene line from start-to-finish; whereas I like most of the Impidimp line except Grimmsnarl, who I outright detest.

....on top of that previous one, I guess I do overall like plenty of female-exclusive species Pokemon more than I do male-exclusive species (For reference: the aforementioned Impidimp line is basically the only one I like, I used to like HItmonlee and HItmontop, and I downright hate the Genie/Kami/-Rus legendaries; I like the Milcery line, the Bounsweet line, and the aforementioned trans-flag witchies.)

The only sex-exclusive Pokemon that I like is Vespiquen; who... going off on a tangent is one of a handful of Gen IV Pokemon that I actually like.

I kinda prefer females if I want to breed a pokemon at some point since you can only get the pokemon that was the mom when breeding. Though for the most part I just roll with whatever I get. Unlike my girlfriend who had some kind of crazy witchcraft luck when she played pokemon and her teams were almost 99% female usually. Even the starters. She was surprised to find out starters have a skewed male/female gender ratio.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom