• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Manaphy or Shaymin?

scrambled_togepi

Reaction score
When you think of the generation 4 mew ripoff (I mean that in the nicest way posible) which do you think of more, or do you think of them equally?

I realize it is completely opinion based, but I would like to know what the general concensus is.

For the bulk of this generation it was easy for me to think of Manaphy as the Sinnoh mew, and Shaymin as the national mew, because Manaphy was in the Sinnoh dex and Shaymin wasn't.

But with generation 5 on its way and Victini announced I find myself seeing shaymin less and like like a generational mew, and more like a random event pokemon. I try to think of it as a mew but I think of its sky form more then its land form so its hard for me to do that.

-Shaymin is not part of the regional dex
-Sky shaymin is very much not like mew
-Shaymin is the second grass mew ripoff, and that doesn't sit as well with me as a water one does.

One would say Shaymin wins in a battle between the two because of the crushing power of STAB super-effective Seed Flare. But what if it misses? Manaphy is usually trained for Speed while Shaymin is often trained to take hits. Manaphy could set up Tail Glow, and take advantage of Seed Flare's failure to launch a strong super-effective Ice Beam.

Of course, that happens, like, 15% of the time. Manaphy can't take Seed Flare due to its sheer power, and in most cases, Tail Glow-less Ice Beam won't KO Shaymin.

I prefer Manaphy nonetheless.

Manaphy can breed and its obtained by a unique method so i think shaymin's the 4th gen mew.

Manaphy first of all we already have a grass mew celbii but this is a water me also manaphy is more of a mew shape than shamin i veiw shamin as a random event pokemon plus i like manaphy better but shaymin is cutter

Shaymin.

It's slightly cuter, has a better design than Manaphy, IMO, and it overpowers it.

Plus Shaymin is one of my favorite legendaries. So it's bias from my side. :p

I like both because:
-Shaymin has 2 formes (and I like the Sky forme)
-Manaphy is so freakin' adorable.

I personally see the Lake Trio as more of the Fourth Generation Mew(s).

Mainly because of their typing.

I personally see the Lake Trio as more of the Fourth Generation Mew(s).

Mainly because of their typing.

Then you see Cresselia as more of a Fourth Generation Mew as well.

Mainly because of it's typing

Then you see Cresselia as more of a Fourth Generation Mew as well.

Mainly because of it's typing

No need to get smart with me.

Every pixie/chibi-like Legendary Pokemon in each Generation after the first has been considered the "Mew" of their respective Generation. All of them have happened to be at least part Psychic type, have the natural ability to fly or levitate, and are genderless.

That is why I see the Lake Trio as the "Mew(s)" of the 4th Generation more than Manaphy or Shaymin. Simple as that.

Last edited:
I both because they're CUPER CUTE LEGENDS (along with Mwe, Celebi, Jirachi, and the lake trio)

No need to get smart with me.

Every pixie/chibi-like Legendary Pokemon in each Generation after the first has been considered the "Mew" of their respective Generation. All of them have happened to be at least part Psychic type, have the natural ability to fly or levitate, and are genderless.

That is why I see the Lake Trio as the "Mew(s)" of the 4th Generation more than Manaphy or Shaymin. Simple as that.

the lake trio aren't event exclusive pokemon with straight one hundred stats though. They are weaker then Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, manaphy, and Shaymin.

I figured the psychic typing was just there because it suits the pokemon.

I always thought of the lake trio as the fourth generation lesser trio along with the regi, beast, and bird trios. like previous lesser trios all three lake pokemon are obtainable in any game focusing on their native region, and are allowed in the battle frontier/tower.

Its weird how much sense you're making though. I never would have thought of them.

Shaymin. Once in Sky Form, it can be deadly. Better movepool, speed and attack.

Shaymin, it's speed is very high in it's sky form, this combined with serene grace and seed flare and shaymin is very useful fighter

Last edited:
Shaymin, it's speed is very high in it's sky form, this combined with serene grace and seed flare (and manaphy's weakness to grass type attacks) makes shaymin a very useful fighter

you do reallize this isn't about which one would win in a fight, right?

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom