• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Manga Manga vs Manhwa(Webtoons)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArvAl

Not gone yet. I refuse
Reaction score
The rivalry between these two has been in focus on Eastern countries since I took part inside. On behalf of them, I would like to discuss this.

History lesson, since a long time ago manga has taken over the most major entertainment from East side of the world, although the world recognition was in when it was popularized by our Father of Manga, Osamu Tezuka and he was the person I fanned over than any other else. An, they own this industry as well.

Meanwhile, just across the neighbourhood world, the underdog whose appearances aren't very visible, manhwa is also popular by his own country in S.Korea, but their industry were gone almost bankrupt when economic crisis strikes in 1997. Since then, there are no popular manhwa artist until a big company named Naver decides to launch their comic segments to feature it back about a decade ago. And it went very wild after the Webtoon app launched internationally.

Now, above the paper, we can conclude:

**Manga basically are more popular than manhwa, of course their advantages were visual draws where quality of drawing was putted inside more. But the recent disappointment is, they rarely can make a huge meaningful plot where we can feel our emotion of. Instead, we were only given eye candy draws and *ahem* awkward comedy I find it damn no IMO. I can't blame all manga studios for this, however it's the big stereotypes for all manga by perspective.

**Manhwas are more straight to tell their stories. They don't care if the graphic looks like sh*t, as long as the moral goes on, they're happy. And that is also the thing I kinda love from manhwa, maybe their inspiration came from the way they handled K-dramas and stuffs, so they can give best ever plot inside. The only miss was the lack of backing up for world recognition, as I said earlier that manga's much popular, it made the industry doesn't quite ok internationally although there are lotsa hidden treasures on.

What about you? Do you think manga is still better or you've fallen in love with manhwas now?

There are Manhwa that are published in weekly/monthly magazines just like Manga. They're just not as popular, and with most Korean Webtoons being free, people generally prefer Webtoons over published magazines. Most of the older and well-known Manhwa artists had their works serialized in newspapers in the form of short episodes. They're usually for sharing forms of lifehacks or expressing sarcasm on political/social issues.

I like Webtoons because most of them are created with good quality content and also free to read. Taking advantage of the internet format can make excellent emotional development for the plot because the artists can mix in animation or music with their comics, allowing readers to connect deeply. There's also no specific form for Webtoons so there's more creativity in the comic itself. A popular webtoon about cooking had 80% of its contents consisted of photos with captions and minor drawings.

One major difference between published comic books and webtoons is that webtoons allow real-time interactions between readers and the artist as well. There are sections for comments on each webtoon page, and most (if not all) artists have their own blogs. Artists can check on the comments and also leave messages for the readers. In some cases, artists allow readers to participate with their work and host events as well.

I think I have no preference over manga, manhwa or manhua (let's throw in the Chinese equivalent too) as I usually go for the story.

There might be many clichés in manga, but I like how I can get a glimpse of Japanese culture in terms of fashion and I love it for the nostalgic factor.

Like Kyriaki said, I love how music can accompany a chapter in Korean webtoons and I also love how they're colored.

A lot of stories in manga, manhwa, manhua, and fiction in general tend to be overly dramatic which is why they can be easily translated into dramas and vice versa usually.
Examples: Boys Over Flowers (there's so many versions of this; there's even an American one xD ), Itazura na Kiss (watched and obsessed over the recent Japanese remake), Hana Kimi, etc

I don't comment much on stuff, but recently, I've been commenting on a webcomic and loving the interaction from that. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom