• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mansion servant enslaved by uber-rich New York family for nearly six years

AlexK2013

Creative Co-Author
Reaction score
A wealthy New York woman is facing criminal charges after being accused of keeping an illegal immigrant as an indentured servant and forcing her to live in a closet for nearly six years.

Documents posted on the Smoking Gun allege that Annie George, 39, and her now-deceased husband, Mathai Kolath George, hired an illegal immigrant from the Indian state of Kerala. The immigrant, identified only as "V.M.," was promised about $1,000 a month in wages to live in the family's 34-room, 30,000-square-foot home, known as Llenroc mansion, which houses a helicopter pad, 15 fireplaces, marble flooring, 24-karat gold gilded ceilings and a glass elevator. V.M. was tasked with taking care of the Georges' four young children, along with performing household duties in the mansion located about 20 miles north of Albany.

New York's minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. Even if V.M. had been allowed to leave the residence at the end of a regular 40-hour workweek, she would have been entitled to a minimum, pretax income of $290 per week, or $1,160 per month.

Instead, the "forced labor situation" (as described in the court papers) was even worse than the already-below minimum wage offer of $1,000 month. V.M. received 85 cents an hour, working 17-hour days, seven days a week, over the 67 months she was kept inside the George residence.
All told, V.M. received only about $29,000 over the five and a half years she was forced to work for the George family.

The Smoking Gun reports that immigration agents received a tip from the National Human Trafficking Resource Center last year and removed V.M. from the George's property. The U.S. Department of Labor conducted its own investigation and says V.M. is entitled to $206,000 in back wages. She was also allegedly denied health benefits, sick days or any personal time off from her labors.

Annie George, whose husband died in a plane crash in 2009, reportedly called V.M.'s son three times, suggesting he "tell his mother to tell authorities that she was a relative of George's family and was only staying at George's house as a guest." However, V.M.'s son recorded the calls, which included a plea from Annie George, "If she says anything about working, it would become a big crime. They'll start adding up all the taxes and everything, for all the time."

According to the Smoking Gun documents, the George estate had been put up for sale for a reported $30 million.
Annie George appeared in court on Wednesday before a federal magistrate, facing charges of encouraging and inducing an illegal alien to reside in the U.S.

This is outrageous stuff, isn't it? Also, it's from Yahoo! News.

*sighs*

I'm sure we can all agree that this was a horrible thing Mrs. George did, and I hope she gets punished and "VM" compensated accordingly. Oh, yes, I think monetary compensation and a good spell of prison time is in order.

Ladies and gentlemen: The job creators.

Not true, these people dont represent job creators or capitalism whatsoever. In Capitalism a worker has the right to withdraw their labour. Also ignoring the minimum wage for a moment, under pure capitalism, and the free market, VM should have been paid at least the $1000 she was offered

Not true, these people dont represent job creators or capitalism whatsoever. In Capitalism a worker has the right to withdraw their labour. Also ignoring the minimum wage for a moment, under pure capitalism, and the free market, VM should have been paid at least the $1000 she was offered
I think you have slightly misunderstood my point. I'm not drawing an analogy between what happened here and capitalism. I'm merely drawing attention to the irony that the people responsible were very rich, the people we are expected to furnish with tax breaks and avoid regulating because them becoming even richer will somehow benefit the rest of us. And here we have someone of that category, with far more money than they could ever realistically use, refusing to pay someone even minimum wage because they could get away with it. And I wonder exactly how little we'd need to tax this family before they magically became kind and benevolent.

This joke, sickly as it was, is now dead. May it find peace.

I'm pretty sure this goes against the 13th Amendment for a rich family to enslave an individual.

I think you have slightly misunderstood my point. I'm not drawing an analogy between what happened here and capitalism. I'm merely drawing attention to the irony that the people responsible were very rich, the people we are expected to furnish with tax breaks and avoid regulating because them becoming even richer will somehow benefit the rest of us. And here we have someone of that category, with far more money than they could ever realistically use, refusing to pay someone even minimum wage because they could get away with it. And I wonder exactly how little we'd need to tax this family before they magically became kind and benevolent.

But the fact they were rich doesn't have to do with the enslaving. If they were poorer, they could have still done what they said. It's unfair to tarnish rich people or the job creators to these people, just as it would be unfair if they were poor and had enslaved someone and then someone said "Ladies and Gentleman: The Unemployed" That would be equally unfair.

This was a bad guy doing bad things to an innocent person. Why exactly is this political now?

You guys are taking his remark too seriously.

Plus, if they had actually given her proper working hours, they may have needed another worker to get all the work done, thus creating more jobs.

Hey, Bikini Miltank could have told us that he was joking when he made that remark, you know!

Can we have a little more content in our posts, please?

Have there been any updates on this at all, or is this going to just languish in the tangled up court system for a few years until people forget about it? I can't seem to find anything on it anywhere.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom