• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mario Kart Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivysaur

SoFloFoSho
Reaction score
With Mario Kart 7 on its way this December and a handful of other great Mario Kart games to talk about, here's an overall thread on the series.

Anyway, who else is excited for Mario Kart 7?

I'd like to get Mario Kart 7, but that would require me to get a 3DS, which would require me to have money, which I do not have. And even if I had money for a 3DS, I would then not have enough for MK7. Catch 22.

The first MK game I played was Mario Kart 64, and I still play it regularly to this day; it's one of those games where the bugs and glitches are enjoyable, rather than a nuisance. I think this was the game that solidified my attachment to Luigi's character as well - he has never gone anywhere lower than my favorite Mario character since then. This game's Rainbow Road is also my favorite track in the entire series. Some may call the track a bore, but riding for 6 minutes with that music playing in the background is bliss.

Next favorite game would have to be Super Circuit. THAT SKY GARDEN TRACK AND MUSIC MAN.

*Raises hand so high my arm pops off* Mario Kart DS was my first ever video game, it will always hold a special place in that hole where my heart should be. Now a SEQUEL TO IT? IN 3D?! I wonder which characters are in it, though, I hope the roster is similar to Mario Kart Wii, as there will be a SSB for the 3DS, and the 3DS has the graphics of a GameCube.

Mario Kart 7 is what makes me want a 3DS the most, personally. I absolutely adored Mario Kart DS (my favorite in the series), and I was a big fan of Double Dash, 64, and Wii too. There are a couple of videos on YouTube from the demo tracks at E3 2011, which look absolutely amazing.

What does everyone think about the new glider aspect? I didn't think it would help the gameplay much, but after seeing it action, I have to admit that it looks pretty fun to use.

I'm more interested in the submarine-esque driving than I am the gliders. Underwater racing is always a sight to watch.

I wonder if the "7" holds any significance to the title though. The only times a Mario Kart game has detracted from putting in the name of the system the game's on in the title were Mario Kart Super Circuit and Mario Kart Double Dash, and those titles held significance (Super Circuit was the first to introduce the retro tracks, making the game a "super" compilation of "circuits", and Double Dash had two riders per vehicle), so having a "7" in it instead of "3DS" seems like it means something - perhaps 7 alternate methods to driving, alongside gliding and undersea driving?

Or it could just mean it's the 7th title in the main series and that it's supposed to distinguish it from Mario Kart DS, but I like to overthink things :p

I kinda like to think that the '7' is an acknowledgement of the series' past; so far, the game seems to be shaping up as a blend of all the games we've had so far, with both older (I.E. coins) and newer (I.E. the Wii-like drift mechanics) returning along with the brand new features, like the glider.

Why would they call it "Mario Kart 7" though? It'll cause a lot of people such as AVGN to become chronologically confused when it comes to sequel titles (there are a few people who are wondering whatever happened to Donkey Kong 2 when we had Donkey Kong Jr. and Donkey Kong 3).

From what I have seen and heard so far Mario Kart 7 looks amazing!

I love that they added customization with the Karts and also I'm exitited for stuff like the gliders and underwater races.

My kind of thread! I love Mario Kart, and have loved it since I was very young. My favorite is the 64 version. I know it's pretty dated by now, and it doesn't have a big selection of tracks and characters, but it's just too much fun. My favorite track is Rainbow Road, for the same reasons as Sonic Boom.

Here's some of the E3 videos I mentioned above, if anyone wants to see them.

[video=youtube;JVFvu8AdTMc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVFvu8AdTMc[/video]
[video=youtube;_D36QV-aNpI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D36QV-aNpI&feature=related[/video]
[video=youtube;H82Srqie2kk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H82Srqie2kk&feature=related[/video]

Part I love the most: no Blue Shell spamming!

Wow, 3 tracks per circuit with only 2 laps apiece? I'm hoping that was only an E3 demo build and not the final product.

That makes me think of something else. It would be great if the option to change the number of laps, at least in free play, like in Super Circuit, comes back in this one. I'd like to be able to blaze through tracks in 5 laps as opposed to three.

Mario Kart DS was my first Mario Kart game and I have all 6 Mario Kart games now. My favourite is Mario Kart Wii. Which Mario Kart Wii courses does everyone think will be in the retro cups of Mario Kart 7? I think Wario's Gold Mine, Koopa Cape and Coconut Mall will be in Mario Kart 7. I think Coconut Mall would be good for the gliding.

Last edited:
Maple Treeway was confirmed in the official E3 2011 trailer.

I would love Moonview Highway, Coconut Mall, and DK Summit to come back too.

The last good MKs were DS and DD. Arcade GP was a pain to control, and Wii was just bad with the wiimote, and was cheap with the cube troller.

I found using the controller and nunchuck to be a good way to control in MK Wii.

I was underwhelmed by Mario Kart DS, so I hope this will be better. Apparently this game will show off the hardware's capabilities. Please Nintendo fix the rubber band AI issue.

I liked the Wii version for its great tracks and online, but the awful item imbalance and rubber band AI (especially on 150cc) killed the game at times.

And please, Nintendo, no Lightning Cloud. D:

Wii was just bad with the wiimote

Hmm, I must be alone then. I found the WiiMote controls to be quite enjoyable, unless you're talking about the remote sans Wheel.

Anyways, this new MK game sounds interesting. The gliding feature in particular, hope there'll be a good amount of courses using them.

Then again, the videos Life Alert posted earlier shows what appear to be unlockable kart attachments in addition to the glider, so there's possibly going to be a good amount of courses involving each of those features.

I dunno, sounds like a great game overall. Can't wait for it.

I'm so looking forward to Mario Kart 7. I think I might end up playing it every day on my 3DS, just like Mario Kart DS on my DS Lite back then...

Yeah, I've been playing a lot of MKDS lately myself. I know snaking isn't popular, but I hope the drifting in MK7 is more or less like it was in MKDS. Wii drifting was very slow and un-involving.

I can't believe it's only less than a week until the release Mario Kart 8 and this thread still hasn't been updated yet! There isn't even talk about Mario Kart 7 shenanigans since its release... :(

Unfortunately I can't join in on the MK8 frenzy since I'm still Wii U-less. But MK7 is still fresh in my opinion and I'm still having a lot of fun with that game. I'll be honest it took a while for me to get into it at first, but it's definitely on my list of favorite 3DS games now.

Is anyone planning on getting MK8 when it comes out? And how many people have MK7 now? Maybe we can set up a Bulbagarden community so that we can have MK7 tournaments. (Or has everyone moved on from MK7 now? Someone entertain me, please!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom