• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

Mario Kart Discussion Thread

We are but men
Reaction score
MK7, I have it and I still sometimes play it
Usually online

MK8, I will buy it ASAP and I will play it a lot
A whole damn lot

Move along, move along
Reaction score
So it looks like Mario is ready to take all his collected coins and live the fabulous life:
[video=youtube;_AkgJZGspCM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AkgJZGspCM[/video]

The first bit of DLC has been announced for Mario Kart 8--it's free DLC that will allow you to use the new Mercedes GLA in the game. It's the result of a partnership between Mercedes-Benz Japan and NCL (Nintendo Japan).

It's definitely weird to see such a realistic car in the Mario Kart games, and it's a bit underwhelming to get yet another chassis considering there are already so many options in this game. But I am excited to see what this means for DLC in Mario Kart 8 in the future! What do you think about the announcement? Are you okay with this type of product placement in video games, and Nintendo games in particular? Are you happy that Nintendo has decided to add DLC in MK8? And what other types of DLC would you like Nintendo to release for the game?

ONE MORE DAY! (Unless you're in Japan or you pre-ordered the game from a retailer that broke the embargo.)

Also the Mario in that commercial looks so weird... o__o

We are but men
Reaction score
Who else dislikes all the new characters?

Because I dislike em alll! :D

Move along, move along
Reaction score
I'm indifferent about the Koopalings, but I don't think I can ever forgive the developers for thinking Baby Rosalina or Pink Gold Peach were more necessary than Dry Bones. :mad:

Mutha'uckas
Reaction score
I'd buy MK8 in a heartbeat if it was coming out on the 3DS. I don't have a Wii U or any desire to own one. MK7 was brilliant. I completed it a while ago, was really difficult to get top marks in every race but lots of fun. I tried playing MK on the regular Wii once and I found it impossible with the tacky controllers.

We are but men
Reaction score
I bought MK8 this afternoon and have now won all cups with new tracks on 50cc

I will continue winning this evening, I'll try and complete all the retro cups on 50cc
With 3 stars of course

I still don't like the new characters, but the rest of the game is great! :D

I just wish there was an option to display the mini-map on the television screen instead of the controller screen :/

Disappointment
Reaction score
I love this game. I've spent the last 3 hours doing online races. I'm so glad I got it.

Move along, move along
Reaction score
And even more important, a new amazing meme has sprung from MK8--the Luigi death stare. Seriously just watch the gifs and videos!

But what a nice opening weekend for the game! I'm pretty sure it will blow Polygon's original predictions out the water, if it hasn't done so already. :p

Reaction score
I just got it today (local store had a 3-day electronics sale starting today, which is what I was waiting for) and -- well, it's a blast, all right. Very very pretty in the visuals, too.

Takes a little while to get used to the controls. I see bikes are still divided into standard/sport types, but the sport types drift a little looser (i.e. closer to standard) than they did in MKW.

Using primarily Yoshi (my main), I golded in every 100cc Grand Prix except Special (which took a second attempt). Sorry Nintendo but for me second place just doesn't deserve showing the game credits.

I kinda wish they didn't add that antigrav segment to GBA Mario Circuit. SNES Donut Plains 3 is a blast, though, as is N64 Yoshi Valley (which, unlike the original, does show real-time positions and they did fix its infamous ledge-hopping shortcut). N64 Rainbow Road feels too short (~1:30) to make it a marathon (3 segment / 1 lap) track out of, but at least it's not boring like it was in the original N64.

As for the new courses...

Wario Mountain is my new favorite mountain course, perhaps because it's also a marathon route. I love long tracks.

Mixed feelings on Rainbow Road. It's pretty and all, and although I did have a few falls that cost me my first attempt at 100cc Gold Special Cup that's not the problem; something feels ... missing. I think it's the music, it just doesn't 'sound' Rainbow Road-y to me.

Overall, I like most of the new courses. Oh, and when I'm not racing Yoshi, my favorite Koopaling is Lemmy.

Reaction score
Hey, wouldn't it be awesome if one of the MK8 vehicles was an ATV with a purple butterfly theme...?

Reaction score
Yep, that's just so manly. Seriously, ask a kid on my street! He got his face painted with a purple butterfly on one cheek and a unicorn on the other!

Prime Minister of Shoyo 昇陽国内閣総理大臣
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's still that "spam (Blue/Red) shells, lightning, bullet bills at the PC" and "get hit by a missile and forfeit your item" on 150cc? Because that's one thing I hated about MK Double Dash and Wii.

Returning to Hoenn
Reaction score
^ Nope, if you get hit by something or even fall, you don't lose your item. One thing I like about MK8...

The CPU is ridiculous, though.

Move along, move along
Reaction score
Today's big MK8 news warrants a bump, does it not?

It looks like the DLC offerings for MK8 are going to be bigger than some free Mercedes cars--Link, Animal Crossing Villager, Isabelle, and Dry Bowser and stupid Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach like ugh please stop are all joining the shenanigans as playable characters!

Plus some retro tracks are coming back (like Wario's Mine from MKWii) as well as some new ones (is that an Animal Crossing-themed track I see?!). There's also going to be a Blue Falcon Kart 'cause Nintendo doesn't know how to just make a new F-Zero game to represent the F-Zero series. Cool.

Info and pics here. And note, this is DLC you have to pay for, unlike the Mercedes DLC.

I really can't get over Link on a motorcycle (in a good way of course), but that might just be me.

Disappointment
Reaction score
I want this DLC now. It looks amazing. I don't know if I'm more excited for the Characters or the courses. But ahhhhhhhh.

Ducks
Reaction score
I don't know what it is, but now I NEED MARIO KART 8!!! ...It could just be that Link's going to be playable, but that's besides the point (though I do hope and pray that (insert Pokémon's name here) will be released as DLC some time because that's as close to Pokémon Kart as I think we're going to get.)

Reaction score
I somehow suspected that Link and Dry Bowser would be playable one day, but I didn't expect new tracks, so it's really nice to hear about that! I hope they'll have the high standard of the other tracks in the game.