• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mario Kart Series Thread

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
I'm honestly not sure how many Kart fans are around the forums besides me, but hey — I figured since there are still two more waves coming out for MK8DX's Booster Course Pass DLC this year, why not have a place to discuss that along with the franchise as a whole?

To start with, what's your favorite game in the series? What characters do you play? Are you more casual or competitive?

Ever since the last DLC wave confirmed that we'd be getting five more characters added from other MK games, I've really been wondering which ones they might end up choosing for those five slots. (Personally I'm holding out all my hope that they'll bring back R.O.B. from DS, but am also prepared for the possibility that might not ever happen.) Which ones would you want brought back?

Love Mario Kart, although I don't play any Mario Kart games as often as I used to. Still, I'm a big fan of Mario games in general, so that naturally extends to Mario Kart too. I think 64 is probably my favorite. It's not as polished as later installments and it's missing a lot of characters and courses, but it's so damn nostalgic and it's still a blast to play. I also really like MK Wii and MK8DX. Double Dash too, although I've never had my own copy.

My "main" so to speak is Yoshi, but I'll use pretty much anyone. As for returning characters, I'm honestly not too picky - I'll be happy to see whoever they decide on.

I kinda have the goal of playing every iteration once in my life lol.

• SNES version: Played via Nintendo Switch Online in 2020. It became too stressing in the later cups so I abused the rewind feature to win and never playing it again. lol
  • Game boy advance version: Played in some, ahem, totally legal ways around 2008, so it was chronogically my first one, it was okay but didn't play much.
  • Nintendo DS version: It came with my Nintendo DS, so while I didn't pay much attention at first eventually liked it so I have lots of nostalgic memories towards it. Its tracks are very underrated and the Battle Mode is the best imo because of the tracks and the balloon mechanics. I keep playing the battle mode at least once a year to this day. I completed all missions and they were...okay.
  • Wii version: I played it when I visited some friends and cousins who had it around the early 2010s. I appreciate the innovations it brought but it feels a little overrated when 8 took its features and made them better.
  • 3DS Version: I bought it on 2012. I liked the tracks, the 3D effects, the motion controls, the new items so it was a worthy succesor to the DS version. During the first couple years I definitely played it more than the DS Version, nowadays I play the DS version more.
  • Switch Version/Eight Deluxe: It came with the Switch. I don't play it as much as I used to but that's because I have other things to play lol. But it's still a fun experience, I like the tracks selection and the Piranha Police battle mode, and the antigravity is simple but fun. I haven't bought the DLC yet, first because I had no money and then because thanks to the exchange rate it became ridiculously expensive in my country. Hopefully in a couple months it'll became cheaper.
As for my mains, I started with Luigi and Yoshi in the DS version. In 7 I added Metal Mario, Koopa and Lakitu, and in 8 I don't have any in particular, I like the variety it brings, but I prefer small size characters.

Wow I thought I posted my comment, but I forgot for some reason.

I've got all the Mario Kart games up to the Wii version (so that's SNES, 64, GBA, GameCube, DS and Wii). The ones I played the most was Double Dash, Wii and N64. I even had one moment in Double Dash where I got chased by the Baby's Chain Chomp item, but I pulled a Star and we ended up speeding through everyone xD

I own all mainline games in some form. First one I played was 64 then Super, then Super Circuit (through an emulator, later purchased on Wii U), then Eight Deluxe, then 7, then DS, then Wii, and finally I finished off with Double Dash. I’ve played 8 Deluxe the most and have found memories of 64. In my opinion, it was my first taste of “real video games”.

My love for Yoshi didn’t come from Mario Kart but from Mario World.

Anyways, I’ve so far enjoyed the 8 Deluxe Booster Pass quite a lot and am quite pleased with it. Today’s character reveals we’re a little disappointing as I felt like in Wiggler’s place there could’ve been a better character.

I probably hope to possibly obtain a physical copy of Super Circuit and 7. I also lost my Mario Kart DS and I sort of worry that it might not be legit. I might also try getting an official box for Super Mario Kart. But in the end, all of these things are just at the back of my mind and I’m definitely not thinking about them right now.

Mario Kart is awesome! For the longest time, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was in my top-5 games of all time - even though it's not anymore, don't let that dissuade you from how much I love the series.

I started with GBA back in the day and could never get past the 100cc as a kid. Played as Toad. But Mario Kart really started hitting for me when DS came out. Mario Kart DS was one of like two games you could always count on the other kids in the class to have, so it was really fun to try and fill up rooms in download play.

I also have a lot of really fond memories of Mario Kart Wii, specifically playing with friends & my sister. One day she tricked me into thinking there was a shortcut at the end of DK's Jungle Parkway & I fell for it and she won. She holds that over my head to this day.

But, in my opinion, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe perfected everything about the Mario Kart forumla in terms of track design and accessibility. The fact that you can store an extra item adds another layer of strategy, especially for racers in the lead. It's definitely got its issues with rubberbanding and the frequency at which lightning gets pulled from the mystery boxes, but Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is still a ton of fun, and looks fantastic on the Switch as well.

I've also played Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario Kart, but don't necessarily have the same attachment to those as the others. Never played 64 or Double Dash though.

The fact that you can store an extra item adds another layer of strategy, especially for racers in the lead.
Ever since MK64 you could hold (certain) items behind your kart while picking up a second item, so pragmatically speaking this isn't "new", MK8 just made it official. The only thing that actually changed is that holding an item behind your kart doesn't remove it from its Item Slot (which is what enabled the technique at all).

I've played every game in the series. I have a some strong memories playing MKDS online -- first using a public wifi hotspot, but later a home network. I also loved MK7 introducing longer, single-lap courses (even if Maka Wuhu was so infamously glitched it was almost the first ever 3DS postlaunch software update).

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Wave 5 has released quite recently with eight new courses and three new characters.

Along with that are the usual patches, quality of life updates and also changed the stats of some characters, karts, and wheels.

If you’re curious about the changes, you can watch this video here for information on vehicle changes or this page on the Nintendo America Website for information on the update in general.

Any thoughts or opinions on really anything related to this? I personally think that the Koopa Cape and Daisy Cruiser in this game are the best versions out of all the versions. Also, the music is amazing as usual

I'm just elated that my monstrous baby boy Petey is back.

d74ypc6-f31e55d8-e109-4b1a-b26a-cdd99bf175f5 (1).gif

I'm honestly not sure how many Kart fans are around the forums besides me, but hey — I figured since there are still two more waves coming out for MK8DX's Booster Course Pass DLC this year, why not have a place to discuss that along with the franchise as a whole?

To start with, what's your favorite game in the series? What characters do you play? Are you more casual or competitive?

Ever since the last DLC wave confirmed that we'd be getting five more characters added from other MK games, I've really been wondering which ones they might end up choosing for those five slots. (Personally I'm holding out all my hope that they'll bring back R.O.B. from DS, but am also prepared for the possibility that might not ever happen.) Which ones would you want brought back?
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the best mario kart game ive played. 7 felt like driving in syrup, the sns and gba show their age. as does 64. the wii was really good except it had too much rubberbanding. Double dash is fun and unique but still does not top 8 for me.

I'm actually glad that they did a crossover for Mario Kart 8/Deluxe with just 1st party characters, kind of gives a better vibe to me than when third-party characters are involved as well.

So yes, currently, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is my favorite entry so far, but Mario Kart Wii is the one that I have the most nostalgia for. I also forgot how funny character reactions are when an item hits them. Either way, I want to see Mario Kart do even more crossovers with other Nintendo series exclusively, both in characters and tracks.

I'm actually glad that they did a crossover for Mario Kart 8/Deluxe with just 1st party characters, kind of gives a better vibe to me than when third-party characters are involved as well.

So yes, currently, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is my favorite entry so far, but Mario Kart Wii is the one that I have the most nostalgia for. I also forgot how funny character reactions are when an item hits them. Either way, I want to see even more crossovers with other Nintendo series exclusively, both in characters and tracks.
Well probably get Mario kart ultimate after this

I haven't had an opportunity to sit down and play Wave 5 yet, but man I really am excited to see Petey again. It's almost enough to make me main a heavy-class character (I've always gravitated towards the light and medium ones in 8DX).

If you’re curious about the changes, you can watch this video here for information on vehicle changes or this page on the Nintendo America Website for information on the update in general.
As competitive as I may be, a lot of this meta stuff still goes right over my head. ^^; Looks like a lot of tires got a buff though which is nice; now there's a little more reason to use something other than Roller lol. Also...
  • Expanded range for when a warning displays when a Red Shell or Spiny Shell approaches from behind.
  • Made it so that a warning is not displayed when a Red Shell is targeting opponents.
  • Lowered the appearance rate of Mirror and 200cc races in Worldwide and Regional settings.
Beautiful. :bulbaLove:

Well probably get Mario kart ultimate after this
For sure, it seems more likely than ever before. 8DX is a huge game, especially after this DLC, but technically it's almost ten years old now. I feel like they kind of have to take that "Ultimate" approach for the next console's MK if they don't want it to seem like a downgrade in terms of content.

Today’s Mario Kart trailer was rather surprising as they’re introducing FOUR new characters (Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, Pauline, and Peachette) instead of two as likely most of us were expecting. Though, I think it really isn’t that much of a big deal as it’s very easy to just add more characters if you have the time.

I’m a bit on the fence about having Peachette in the game as there are a few characters who would be more interesting though it is more characters. Let’s hope the tracks are as exciting as the characters!

So glad Pauline made the cut! Diddy and Funky are fine. Peachette is redundant and should’ve been a color palette swap of Peach. That slot could’ve gone to Nabbit or some other mario character.

It's a shame that Nintendo wants to forget R.O.B., so far he has only appeared once in the Mario Kart series (Mario Kart DS).

There are plenty of characters whose feet don't even touch the ground at all if chosen with bigger motorcycles. So not making sense wouldn't be such an issue (plus the Inklings are fine to go into water, even though water is bad for them in their own franchise).

Little late for this one, but I'm a DS and Wii stan, growing up with the former, but I've played the entire MK lineup from Double Dash to 8DX, I've loved this series since I started playing.

I normally play as DK or any of the Princesses, but I occasionally go with Dry Bones, especially in DS (the dry bomber is still one of the best karts).

I can be competitive when I want to be, especially when playing with friends, but for the most part I'm pretty casual.

Mario kart has always had a special place in my heart since Wii introduced me to video games. My favorite Mario kart is tour since it's consistent content updates keep me coming back more than any other. I'm also partial to 8 deluxe and DS.
My main varies from game to game, but in 8 deluxe, I main kamek
I play mostly causally. Though I'm not afraid of playing online

Back
Top Bottom