• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mario Series General Discussion

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
I noticed there was a Mario Kart thread but no General Mario Thread. I thought I’d make this as there were four “Mario” games revealed in the recent Nintendo Direct.

Though, this thread is not just about the recent Nintendo Direct as that has its own thread. Here and even right now, feel free to discuss or talk about your experience with Mario games.

I just thought I should start this as I had noticed that the Super Mario Bros Wonder art style almost reminds me of the Nintendo Power Mario covers.

I'm more of a low-key Mario fan, but it's definitely up there as one of my favorite video game franchises. My favorite mainline title is probably Super Mario World — I played it a lot as a kid and loved everything from its style to its enemies to its mechanics — but if we're talking 3D games, I like Sunshine and I thought Odyssey was pretty good. Though overall, I am definitely more into the spinoffs... I adore Paper Mario (up to SPM, that is), as well as the Kart and Party games.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder looks fantastic, and is such a refreshing change of pace for 2D Mario. I'm so glad they're embracing something genuinely new, and aren't afraid to get a little weird! The NSMB series, ever since Wii almost 15 years ago, has just felt so stagnant and "safe" to me that it's honestly been completely unmemorable as a result — but Wonder already looks so quirky and creative that it just makes me want to see more. I just love how cartoonishly expressive and stylized everything is, from the environments down to the character animations. It's not often that a trailer really convinces me right off the bat, so man I really hope it turns out to be good ^^;

Where do I begin...

My first taste at a Mario game was Super Mario Bros 3 on the NES at one of my cousins's. When I heard about the GBA remake, I practically begged my parents to buy it, and I even hummed one of the main themes while waiting for it.

Super Mario 64 was a Christmas gift alongside the actual Nintendo 64, which I still have to this day. I remember spending so much time trying to find the 120th Star, thinking I needed to get all the obtainable coins in each level... Only to find out through my best friend that I needed to complete Peach's Secret Course in under 20 seconds. Whoops !
Speaking of which, I had also completed Kaizo Mario 64 while using a lot of save states. It's not for the faint of the heart !

Super Mario Sunshine... I love the game to bits, but I loathe the Blue Coin sidequest, especially for the "reward" you get after trading them for the remaining Shine Sprites. Spoiler :
it's an alternate ending picture after the credits !

I haven't got to play much of Super Mario Galaxy, same for Super Mario Odyssey. Motivation just isn't there any more even though they are great games. The NSMB series is a good one though. I had the original on the DS and my best friend and I combed the Wii version of the game to bits ! NSMB 2 was fun, but good lord that game would be so helpful in our days... And then Super Mario Maker on 3DS and SM Maker 2 on Switch are in for me ! I completed the "storyline" of the second game, but I haven't got around to play it lately.

Super Mario Land is a game I struggled with in the past, but eventually I did manage to beat Tatanga. That final boss reveal alongside its theme unnerved me the first time ! And there was also Super Mario Land 2, which had Wario as the final boss. The game was fun, but sadly I don't own it. And I think that's about it...

I'm a pretty big fan of most of the mario games i have played. I love Odyssey and 3 , and galaxy, world, and the og were pretty great as well. I really dislike the new super mario bros art style, and am glad for the change to wonder. I am not very much into the spinoff series, but think they look fun.

I planned to get a Game Boy Advance for Pokemon, but it was bundled with Mario & Luigi SuperStar Saga (which is a fantastic series I'll discuss some other day). And MLSS itself was bundled with Mario Bros. I consider both games equally my first "Mario" game, and I think the latter is very underrated even if it's a bit repetitive and should definitely be consider one of the founding games of the franchise alongside Super Mario Bros & Donkey Kong. Other games I have played (again, not counting the M&L series or the Kart series):

• Super Mario 3D Land: I bought this game completely blind, and while I was expecting a better story (after hearing the wonders that was Galaxy's) it was still fun, the levels were very relaxing once you mastered them, it had the option to play with Luigi and made good use of the 3D effects. After I completed it I kept playing it for a couple of years just because it was fun, and I really appreciate that.
  • Mario Maker for 3DS: I hadn't played 2D Mario before, so going into a game like this without experience wasn't the best idea. I didn't hate it but it was very difficult to complete. As for the creating levels feature, I did a few but wasn't completely satisfied with the results, and it was hard to do one with my regular-sized 3DS screens. I still had some fun with it and I remember it vividly, but I'll think it twice before buying another one. In fact the reasons why I didn't buy the Switch version were 1. the Switch' limited controls for level creations and 2. the potential high difficulty which would steal some time from other games, but I still watched tons of playthroughs of it.
  • Mario Odyssey: I had high hopes for this game, and for the most part it fulfilled them. It reminded me of those Disney platformers I played as a kid, but obviously expanded and with more things to do. I love collecting moons, the methods to obtain them are very varied so each one of them feels different and rewarding. However i was expecting a few more kingdoms or at least for the minor ones to be expanded, more variations in the capture system and a bigger postgame. It was a fantastical experience, and I recommend it, though I still haven't finished the last level and it gives me nightmares.
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury: I had had a relaxing experience with 3D Land, so I decided to buy it looking for something similar. It wasn't as good but it was still fun, it has enough changes to be considered a sequel, the powerups and gimmicks were more varied, through it still had a couple of painful difficulty spikes. As for Bowser's Fury, I think it could have a few more levels and ways to make the Bowser attacks more fun (or ways to skip them entirely) but it's very fun and it's well designed.
  • Super Mario Wonder: Obviously I haven't played it, but it's the next one in my list. The artstyle is very pleasing and as most recent Nintendo games I think it will be very content packed. I don't think I'll play it this year as SV DLC has priority, but I'm looking forward to it.

I was so sad when I heard that :( That's one of the voices of my childhood (and whole life really) right there. I'm just glad he's okay because I 100% thought he was dead for like a split second when I first saw the news and it almost gave me a heart attack lol

But god yes I love the Mario series so much, it has my whole heart. So many of my favorite games over the years have been Mario games - Super Mario 64, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario World, Super Mario Brothers 3, and that's not even getting into the Paper Mario series, Mario Party, Mario Kart, the sports titles, Yoshi titles, etc. It's just such a fun and colorful and magical world and I'll never get tired of it. One of my favorite series of all time.

• Staff
Super Mario Wonder is coming out this week! I’m pretty excited to sit down and play the game full-on. I’ve played the demo a bit at the stores, but I think due to the environment I was in, I wasn’t able to fully invest myself into the game. Still excited to see what the game has!

Super Mario Wonder is coming out this week! I’m pretty excited to sit down and play the game full-on. I’ve played the demo a bit at the stores, but I think due to the environment I was in, I wasn’t able to fully invest myself into the game. Still excited to see what the game has!
Yeah we got a digital copy and will be playing it tonight! Looking forward to playing co-op and seeing how that goes. \o/

I just preordered the physical copy of Wonder so I'll be playing it on Friday. I'm so excited!! It reminds me a bit of how the air was just buzzing with anticipation right before Odyssey came out, lol. I saw the demo a few times while out and about but I specifically avoided it as to not spoil myself too much... I feel like I'm going to have a lot of fun with this game.

Oh, and while I'm here, how are you guys feeling about the SMRPG and Thousand-Year Door remakes? Any thoughts? (There's really a ton of upcoming Mario releases right now... I'm personally a huuuge Paper Mario fan, so TTYD is probably gonna be the highlight of 2024's release schedule for me, if I had to guess. RPG I feel much less strongly about, but I guess it's still neat.)

Oh, and while I'm here, how are you guys feeling about the SMRPG and Thousand-Year Door remakes? Any thoughts? (There's really a ton of upcoming Mario releases right now... I'm personally a huuuge Paper Mario fan, so TTYD is probably gonna be the highlight of 2024's release schedule for me, if I had to guess. RPG I feel much less strongly about, but I guess it's still neat.)

Super Mario RPG was one of my favorite games growing up on the SNES so I'm super excited for November. As for TTYD, I unfortunately missed out on it on the Gamecube, so it's going to be a must buy for me in 2024; I've heard nothing but praise for the game and I love a good turn-based RPG so of course I'm hyped for this one!

Guys, I finished Wonder the other day and I think it might be one of my favorite games to release in the past few years. I've been having even more fun than I did playing Odyssey, which is no small feat. I'm actively trying to 100% it now? It might even rival SMW as my favorite Mario game?? Why is it so good?! What is this nonsense?!??! :confused:

We just discovered what I assume is the 5 star world yesterday and couldn't even get past the first stage. Had to back out for now since we were losing too many lives. this is going to be stressful but fun to get back into later lol
Oof yeah they really don't hold back, I've only found and cleared two of them so far. I'm still struggling horribly with some 4-star levels, so I dread to think of what the final Special World level could be hiding LOL.

We just discovered what I assume is the 5 star world yesterday and couldn't even get past the first stage. Had to back out for now since we were losing too many lives. this is going to be stressful but fun to get back into later lol
OMG same!! I don't think I've ever gone from "ooooh fun! :D" to wanting to throw my Switch across the room so fast lol. But it wouldn't be a Mario game without levels like that so I'm okay with it!

Hi! Saw this and knew I needed to join.

I’ve been trying to play wonder with my family, but they’re literally the most not cooperative people you’ll ever meet when it comes to video games, cause we all have different skill levels and priorities. That’s why I’m only on world two! (The mountain thing I can’t remember the name of rn)

Sorry for the double post, but anyone recognize my new user title?
That’s Break free (Lead the way) from Mario odyssey right?

I played a bit of Mario odyssey and it was enjoyable but I am LOVING mario Wonder it’s so fun and the Wonder Flower Gimmicks are soooo fun to play

Back
Top Bottom