• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Masaaki Iwane - Animator Tribute

Blue_Drifblim

Reaction score
Dailymotion - 岩根雅明 (Masaaki Iwane) - Animator Tribute

A tribute to Masaaki Iwane, one of my favorite Pokemon animators. He's been around since the beginning... Just showing some highlights and stuff, mostly from DP and BW (with a little DBZ thrown in). I've been meaning to make this video for a while now. XD

Songs used:
ONE (Instrumental) - Crystal Kay
Ready Go! (Original Karaoke) - Naomi Tamura
Pokemon Ieru Ka Na? BW (Original Karaoke) - Takeshi Tsuruno

Hope you all enjoy.

Last edited:
Haha, I loved this! I'm a huge Iwane fan too, and it was so nostalgic to go through this amv and view some of his animation masterpieces from the series' that you posted.

Awesome stuff. I've always wanted to make one of these myself, but my knowledge of media editing is slim, and mkv and flvs don't want to cooperate with Movie Maker :p This guy is one of my biggest inspirations, and it's great to see that others appreciate his skills so much. You picked some great clips to showcase here!

Also, that was easily one of my all-time favourite Dragonball eps. Iwane's stuff is quite easy to pick out thanks to his trademark snappy movement. Satan Miracle Special Super Ultra Megaton Punch!

You did such an amazing job with this video, I am very impressed! I thought you edited the scenes together so nicely, and the background music was perfect. I loved seeing all the clips from DP!

Thanks for the kind comments! I'm glad you all enjoyed it. There were a lot of other scenes I wanted to use, but I couldn't really find a way to fit them in without making it overly long (to be honest, I think it's a little lengthy as it is...)

Awesome stuff. I've always wanted to make one of these myself, but my knowledge of media editing is slim, and mkv and flvs don't want to cooperate with Movie Maker :p This guy is one of my biggest inspirations, and it's great to see that others appreciate his skills so much. You picked some great clips to showcase here!

Also, that was easily one of my all-time favourite Dragonball eps. Iwane's stuff is quite easy to pick out thanks to his trademark snappy movement. Satan Miracle Special Super Ultra Megaton Punch!

Yeah... I used Movie Maker and I had to use a file converter for almost all of the clips... The constant freezing up didn't help either. >_> Glad it turned out okay in the end, though.

And yeah, I'm surprised at how much his style was still the same, even back then. XD

I never knew he worked on Dragonball Z! How did you find out that piece of animation was from him? Please tell me that clip wasn't from a filler arc.

I never knew he worked on Dragonball Z! How did you find out that piece of animation was from him? Please tell me that clip wasn't from a filler arc.

Me neither! I got flabbergasted when I say Mr. Satan and Android 18 (or Hércules and C18, as they are called in Portugal) in that Iwane video! I love Iwane's animation, he is the best animator in Pokémon (in my opinion, obviously), and what I like the most about him is the way the animates Team Rocket! He was the only animator in DP to give them a serious tone and to draw them as perfect humans (and a Pokémon!), even though in BW Tamagawa and others are also doing in fine.

Wow, amazing job, Blue Drifblim, I really loved the video. The Dragon Ball clip was kinda unexpected. xD

Is there any way to show him this? Through his twitter or something? I would love to hear what he thinks about this.

There are a lot of great Iwane scenes throughout the anime so no tribute video can ever do him complete justice. :p

Me neither! I got flabbergasted when I say Mr. Satan and Android 18 (or Hércules and C18, as they are called in Portugal) in that Iwane video! I love Iwane's animation, he is the best animator in Pokémon (in my opinion, obviously), and what I like the most about him is the way the animates Team Rocket! He was the only animator in DP to give them a serious tone and to draw them as perfect humans (and a Pokémon!), even though in BW Tamagawa and others are also doing in fine.

See TR in "A Meteoric Rise to Excellence" (animated by Tamagawa). Badass motto ftw.

Sorry for responding so late. <_>

ehh123 said:

Iwane's sakuga wiki page has a list of shows he has done work on, and which episodes. In this case though, they specifically pointed out that he did that fight in that episode. They list that he's done key animation in 17 episodes of DBZ total.

I suggest you check out the episodes "No More Rules" and "Battle for the Universe Begins." Those are big episodes plot-wise that sakuga wiki has Iwane listed for key animation. The animation in those episodes, especially "No More Rules", is beautiful. I have somewhat of a hint on what he did in those episodes, but I'm not really sure.

PTOldMan said:

Yep. He and Tamagawa are the best... The rest of the BW crew are doing pretty well, too.

Wow, amazing job, Blue Drifblim, I really loved the video. The Dragon Ball clip was kinda unexpected. xD

Is there any way to show him this? Through his twitter or something? I would love to hear what he thinks about this.

Thank you!

As for showing Iwane the video, there's Iwane's blog. He responds there pretty much on a daily basis. I'd really like to show him the video.... Maybe I could post the comment in English? I don't know if he'd understand it, though. XD It might be worth a shot!

There are a lot of great Iwane scenes throughout the anime so no tribute video can ever do him complete justice. :p

^This. Iwane has been animation director+key animator of over 130 episodes... and that's not even including the various Pikachu shorts, movies, and other regular episodes he's done key animation in. ._. There are so many great scenes.

As for showing Iwane the video, there's Iwane's blog. He responds there pretty much on a daily basis. I'd really like to show him the video.... Maybe I could post the comment in English? I don't know if he'd understand it, though. XD It might be worth a shot!

Mmm, perhaps you can ask for help in this thread, maybe? Google translate is pretty inefficient. xD

Also, thanks for the wiki page. I knew it, he worked on that Animal Crossing movie. I remember seeing some scene and saying "Hey, that's pretty Iwane-ish". xD

Remember, this thread is only to discuss the video tribute, not the animator himself.

Back
Top Bottom