• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• There have been changes to the pronoun field in user profiles. Find out more here!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Preview Masters Tournament special preview

Schemer99

Reaction score
So here we are. Ash vs. Champion Cynthia. Judging by the preview, it seems Ash will lose Pikachu, Gengar, and Dragonite early on. We know one or two of them will take out Gastrodon and Spiritomb, and Pikachu will fall to Togekiss. It appears Togekiss will be defeated by Lucario and Lucario will be the last one standing to the absolute beast that is Champion Cynthia's Garchomp.
I'd say it also seems likely that Sirfetch'd either takes out Milotic or it's a double knockout.

Reborn Talonflame

Reaction score
I'd say it also seems likely that Sirfetch'd either takes out Milotic or it's a double knockout.
I really hope Sirfetch’d actually knocks it out. Against Drasna it took out Altaria, but it went down shortly after without battling, so I don’t really know if I count that as a win. Torracat did the same thing with Incineroar, but that may have been because of its evolution tiring it out, not necessarily the battle.

So, I’d like it to get a clean victory to add to its slim record of one. Knowing how the writers for some reason, in recent seasons, love a double-knockout, or two, it will probably happen.

Eevee298

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I really hope Sirfetch’d actually knocks it out. Against Drasna it took out Altaria, but it went down shortly after without battling, so I don’t really know if I count that as a win. Torracat did the same thing with Incineroar, but that may have been because of its evolution tiring it out, not necessarily the battle.

So, I’d like it to get a clean victory to add to its slim record of one. Knowing how the writers for some reason, in recent seasons, love a double-knockout, or two, it will probably happen.
Not to mention it would go down similarly like Vs Mega Altaria. A frontral charged attack. Survive then faint or a draw.

Eitarou

Where's your fighting spirit?!
Reaction score
So here we are. Ash vs. Champion Cynthia. Judging by the preview, it seems Ash will lose Pikachu, Gengar, and Dragonite early on. We know one or two of them will take out Gastrodon and Spiritomb, and Pikachu will fall to Togekiss. It appears Togekiss will be defeated by Lucario and Lucario will be the last one standing to the absolute beast that is Champion Cynthia's Garchomp.
The preview showed Pikachu and Spiritomb go down at the same time.

Kurolegacy

Reaction score
Why bother have Cynthia retire as the Sinnoh Champion in an anime where the main character is essentially Peter Pan?

Although, it might be a shout out to a side arc involving Volkner in DP, albeit with a different character. My theory is that Cynthia is considering on stepping down because she keeps winning all her matches, but her spark is rekindled when she battles Ash (and loses to him or Leon). Just like how Volkner had plans on challenging the Elite Four out of disillusion before he battles the player character.

Also, the trailer gave out too many spoilers. I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies to Ash's battle with Leon (if he defeats Cynthia).
What’s even stranger is that, with Cynthia retiring, you have a great replacement candidate in Paul, given how strong he’s shown to be and how, sans Ash, he’s one Cynthia took an interest in, but they threw in that random thing of him being asked to be a gym leader. Just another missed opportunity for the pile.

Eevee298

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
What’s even stranger is that, with Cynthia retiring, you have a great replacement candidate in Paul, given how strong he’s shown to be and how, sans Ash, he’s one Cynthia took an interest in, but they threw in that random thing of him being asked to be a gym leader. Just another missed opportunity for the pile.
Makes you wonder who is strong enough to replace Cynthia, if she retires for real? Doesn't mean she will retire immediately. Maybe she asked Paul to become a gym leader so he could gain extra experience when the time comes to take over as Champion? I mean something similar probably happened between Alder and Iris.

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It might be a bit too early to say that it's a missed opportunity when we don't know if she'll retire for real yet. Plus, I'm not sure if Paul being Cynthia's replacement would be that well received. He's one of Ash's most popular rivals and in terms of strength, it would not be a stretch to imagine him getting to become the new Sinnoh Champion, but I'm not sure if everyone would have been into that. Partly because of how passionate Cynthia fans can be and because of how Paul has his fair share of mixed reception too.

I have my doubts that Cynthia is actually going to retire. Since she's a Champion from the video games and there isn't an actual replacement for her like there was with Alder, I'm not confident that they'll actually have her step down as the Sinnoh Champion, especially when the anime has been more faithful to the games in certain areas. It comes off a bit more like click bait, which is definitely more in Journeys' wheelhouse given some of their promos, episode titles, previeews and promotional artwork.

Sai

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Also this sounds similar to DP-era Volkner who was depressed because nobody could beat him, and then when Ash beat him it reignited his spirit to battle. I think Cynthia will say the same.

The anime hasn't gotten more game accurate than ever recently and they're not going to replace Cynthia with a literal-who from the anime. It's not like a Steven/Wallace or Alder/Iris situation where there's a game canon character to replace a champion with.

Ghost Diplocaulus

Detroit SMAAAASH! Eevee style.
Reaction score
Guys please let's not
124.png
this

Eevee298

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I feel the retire-thingy is a form of clickbait to lore in viewers. And sadly it is working too.
g5myu2.jpg

Imtnt

Reaction score
It seems Pikachu and Spirit tomb tie by the screen in the preview. Got to be shifted with Togekiss, It is likely the strategy will be shifting it in and out cause he prob played with all 3- Pika Dragonite and maybe also Gengar.

I hope Gastrodon was Dragonite's win cause he must get a win. In the same hope Sirfetchd and Dracovish both win their matchaps in the preview and fall against the next opponent.

It will be a close match overall, maybe the strategy with Spirit Tomb will feel like it is not even but after Lucario takes down Togekiss it will prob feel less of a struggle in numbers.

CharizardFan7

Though I'm just as much of a Rapidash fan
Reaction score
I hope Gastrodon was Dragonite's win cause he must get a win. In the same hope Sirfetchd and Dracovish both win their matchaps in the preview and fall against the next opponent.
I too hope that the victory against Gastrodon is Dragonite's, because it could really use a win right about now. And if Dracovish and Sirfetch'd could each get a win here too, that would just be the cherry on top. All three of them really need to get wins here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom