• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Masters Tournament special preview

So here we are. Ash vs. Champion Cynthia. Judging by the preview, it seems Ash will lose Pikachu, Gengar, and Dragonite early on. We know one or two of them will take out Gastrodon and Spiritomb, and Pikachu will fall to Togekiss. It appears Togekiss will be defeated by Lucario and Lucario will be the last one standing to the absolute beast that is Champion Cynthia's Garchomp.
I'd say it also seems likely that Sirfetch'd either takes out Milotic or it's a double knockout.

I'd say it also seems likely that Sirfetch'd either takes out Milotic or it's a double knockout.
I really hope Sirfetch’d actually knocks it out. Against Drasna it took out Altaria, but it went down shortly after without battling, so I don’t really know if I count that as a win. Torracat did the same thing with Incineroar, but that may have been because of its evolution tiring it out, not necessarily the battle.

So, I’d like it to get a clean victory to add to its slim record of one. Knowing how the writers for some reason, in recent seasons, love a double-knockout, or two, it will probably happen.

I really hope Sirfetch’d actually knocks it out. Against Drasna it took out Altaria, but it went down shortly after without battling, so I don’t really know if I count that as a win. Torracat did the same thing with Incineroar, but that may have been because of its evolution tiring it out, not necessarily the battle.

So, I’d like it to get a clean victory to add to its slim record of one. Knowing how the writers for some reason, in recent seasons, love a double-knockout, or two, it will probably happen.
Not to mention it would go down similarly like Vs Mega Altaria. A frontral charged attack. Survive then faint or a draw.

So here we are. Ash vs. Champion Cynthia. Judging by the preview, it seems Ash will lose Pikachu, Gengar, and Dragonite early on. We know one or two of them will take out Gastrodon and Spiritomb, and Pikachu will fall to Togekiss. It appears Togekiss will be defeated by Lucario and Lucario will be the last one standing to the absolute beast that is Champion Cynthia's Garchomp.
The preview showed Pikachu and Spiritomb go down at the same time.

Why bother have Cynthia retire as the Sinnoh Champion in an anime where the main character is essentially Peter Pan?

Although, it might be a shout out to a side arc involving Volkner in DP, albeit with a different character. My theory is that Cynthia is considering on stepping down because she keeps winning all her matches, but her spark is rekindled when she battles Ash (and loses to him or Leon). Just like how Volkner had plans on challenging the Elite Four out of disillusion before he battles the player character.

Also, the trailer gave out too many spoilers. I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies to Ash's battle with Leon (if he defeats Cynthia).
What’s even stranger is that, with Cynthia retiring, you have a great replacement candidate in Paul, given how strong he’s shown to be and how, sans Ash, he’s one Cynthia took an interest in, but they threw in that random thing of him being asked to be a gym leader. Just another missed opportunity for the pile.

What’s even stranger is that, with Cynthia retiring, you have a great replacement candidate in Paul, given how strong he’s shown to be and how, sans Ash, he’s one Cynthia took an interest in, but they threw in that random thing of him being asked to be a gym leader. Just another missed opportunity for the pile.
Makes you wonder who is strong enough to replace Cynthia, if she retires for real? Doesn't mean she will retire immediately. Maybe she asked Paul to become a gym leader so he could gain extra experience when the time comes to take over as Champion? I mean something similar probably happened between Alder and Iris.

It might be a bit too early to say that it's a missed opportunity when we don't know if she'll retire for real yet. Plus, I'm not sure if Paul being Cynthia's replacement would be that well received. He's one of Ash's most popular rivals and in terms of strength, it would not be a stretch to imagine him getting to become the new Sinnoh Champion, but I'm not sure if everyone would have been into that. Partly because of how passionate Cynthia fans can be and because of how Paul has his fair share of mixed reception too.

I have my doubts that Cynthia is actually going to retire. Since she's a Champion from the video games and there isn't an actual replacement for her like there was with Alder, I'm not confident that they'll actually have her step down as the Sinnoh Champion, especially when the anime has been more faithful to the games in certain areas. It comes off a bit more like click bait, which is definitely more in Journeys' wheelhouse given some of their promos, episode titles, previeews and promotional artwork.

Also this sounds similar to DP-era Volkner who was depressed because nobody could beat him, and then when Ash beat him it reignited his spirit to battle. I think Cynthia will say the same.

The anime hasn't gotten more game accurate than ever recently and they're not going to replace Cynthia with a literal-who from the anime. It's not like a Steven/Wallace or Alder/Iris situation where there's a game canon character to replace a champion with.

Guys please let's not
124.png
this

I feel the retire-thingy is a form of clickbait to lore in viewers. And sadly it is working too.
g5myu2.jpg

It seems Pikachu and Spirit tomb tie by the screen in the preview. Got to be shifted with Togekiss, It is likely the strategy will be shifting it in and out cause he prob played with all 3- Pika Dragonite and maybe also Gengar.

I hope Gastrodon was Dragonite's win cause he must get a win. In the same hope Sirfetchd and Dracovish both win their matchaps in the preview and fall against the next opponent.

It will be a close match overall, maybe the strategy with Spirit Tomb will feel like it is not even but after Lucario takes down Togekiss it will prob feel less of a struggle in numbers.

I hope Gastrodon was Dragonite's win cause he must get a win. In the same hope Sirfetchd and Dracovish both win their matchaps in the preview and fall against the next opponent.
I too hope that the victory against Gastrodon is Dragonite's, because it could really use a win right about now. And if Dracovish and Sirfetch'd could each get a win here too, that would just be the cherry on top. All three of them really need to get wins here.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom