• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Masuda considering adding action to series: Director mentions possibility in Game Inf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Masuda considering adding action to series: Director mentions possibility in Game

I guess the main reason why they've kept the main series in 2D is because well, they really love Sugimori's art style and wish to keep it that way.

As for button-mashing, I doubt they'll intergrate that into the battle system in that now damage would be dependent on how well the player can button-mash combos and how fast their reflexes are, rather then how well they've raised Pokémon and how to counter similarly-raised Pokémon.

You know how metagamers can be right? They want a game without randomness. Hence the "NO ITEMS! FOX ONLY! FINAL DESTINATION!" meme.

Re: Masuda considering adding action to series: Director mentions possibility in Game

Do you honestly think that today's videogame audience, new or old would be scared from seeing 3D Pokemon? This isn't the first moving picture where they had a train coming right at you, if anything, being able to fully render 3D Pokemon on a handheld would be astounding and not scary.

I don't think they meant "scare" as in "that thing looks too freaky"; I think it was meant as how things in 3D tend to look more COMPLICATED.

I wonder if this is one of the 'new features' in HGSS?

Unless they borrow the Unreal engine or something, then Pokemon can look REALLY good than polygon-like.

I think most Pokemon look like crap in 3D. Especially those with "effects" on their bodies, like Cyndaquil and Ponyta.

I'd be willing to see a KotOR-like 3rd person Pokemon game where you are the main character running around with the first one in your party right next to you and not needing to leave the main screen to battle.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm imagining a 3D Battle environment with battle mobility and range like the later Final Fantasy games, but not really like Final Fantasy, but Pokémon. The result: truly 3D Pokémon battles where you would have to aim, attack, evade, and other things that makes it a TRUE battle.

Now the problem with this would-be-new-type-of-Pokémon genre is if the producers conjure up something like Pokémon Battle Revolution, there would be no storyline at all and it would get very very boring in less than in hour. Yes, I'm picturing a new Pokémon game for the Wii. The DS's graphics would be as stunning for this type of Pokémon game, unless the producers get very clever about it. Still, taking this new idea and trying to produce a role-playing game (because as of the moment I cannot imagine a good Pokémon game to be anything else besides a role playing game) with a decent plot is very difficult. Hopefully, Nintendo pulls this off in the future and we could look forward to a Pokémon game with a more intense kick in it; a Pokémon game that would cause an adrenaline rush from that blow that you dodged at the last second, rather than the rush from surviving that fatal Giga Impact.

Random: I tried picturing a first-person shooter for some very awkwardly weird reason, and I simply cannot imagine a bunch of Octillery duking it out hahaha

I doubt they'll ever make a 3-D game like that because it would be far too much like Smash Bros. Besides, by adding the ability to aim and evade attacks, you've basically changed the game that's supposed to be an RPG into a fighting game, which isn't likely to be popular because fighting games are the games most affected by the addition of the 3-D plane.

It would be greatly compared to games like Soul Calibur and Tekken.

Also, how would stats be incorparated into such an engine? Have slow Pokémon be nearly unmovable? Have fast ones move so rapidly that you lose control and careen them into the walls? (Try to imagine controling a Ninjask!) What about flying Pokémon? Have flight controls in 3-D ever worked smoothly? What about beam attacks? Abilities? by changing the mainstream game's genre, you pretty much destroy what made the game successful in the first place.

I doubt they'll ever make a 3-D game like that because it would be far too much like Smash Bros. Besides, by adding the ability to aim and evade attacks, you've basically changed the game that's supposed to be an RPG into a fighting game, which isn't likely to be popular because fighting games are the games most affected by the addition of the 3-D plane.

Also, how would stats be incorparated into such an engine? Have slow Pokémon be nearly unmovable? Have fast ones move so rapidly that you lose control and careen them into the walls? (Try to imagine controling a Ninjask!) What about flying Pokémon? Have flight controls in 3-D ever worked smoothly? What about beam attacks? Abilities? by changing the mainstream game's genre, you pretty much destroy what made the game successful in the first place.
True you make excellent points but I wonder. A 493 fighter fighting game with beam attacks element attacks and all that sort of whoo ha is probably the most bitching idea ever. If not insanely impossible for the Wii.

to add to this, one also shouldn't forget the critical fact that

YOU DON'T PLAY AS THE POKEMON!

[cough] Remember everyone, you play as the Pokemon Trainers, therefor you're only commanding the Pokemon to use certain attacks and switching them out when necessary (the simplicity of the turn-based system and the Pokemon following your every word unless you happen to lack Badges manages to seriously up the illusion that you actually are playing as them, though). That said, I'd hate it if Pokemon suddenly took on a real-time feature, because then you'd just be sitting there watching retarded AI try (and often fail) to interpret your occasional input... I mean, Monster Rancher and the first Digimon World were alright. Not great IMO, but I'd go easy on them seeing as their respective franchises started out with such battle systems rather than replacing something that already worked pretty alright (well... Digimon actually started with V-pets, but those involved an even more horribly simplified system where each monster just beats on one another and the one with the higher stats comes out on top; future Digimon video games would go on to never feature a consistent style of gameplay anyhow). Though I wonder if a "dodging" system not unlike that featured in the Mario RPG series could work.

I can't say I have many complaints with the current system (especially now that they finally designated physical and special attacks). I just wish it were more fast-paced, especially in the 3D games (and especially if they make another 3D RPG, considering all RPGs involve several opponents and even occasional level-grinding). A lot of 3D RPGs have characters attacking by just having their model running up, striking, and hopping back (takes a couple seconds at most)... Pokemon's always gotta draw things out, even if it's just a simple Tackle. -_- At least the 2D games give you the option of turning off the animations. But as you can see, my qualms with the system lie more in their handling of the overly drawn-out animations and less with the actual mechanics.

does that mean there would be gunfights, high speed pursuits and war? Nah just kidding. I know they wouldn't put that (despite the fact they referenced war when battling sgt. surge). I wonder what would be there.

(despite the fact they referenced war when battling sgt. surge).

You mean he got promoted?

Anyway, I hope the action isn't too extreme or change-induced. I likes Pokemon the way it is. A little change here and there is fine, but...yeah...

As for button-mashing, I doubt they'll intergrate that into the battle system in that now damage would be dependent on how well the player can button-mash combos and how fast their reflexes are, rather then how well they've raised Pokémon and how to counter similarly-raised Pokémon.
Kingdom Hearts style battling + Pokemon? I could have sworn the Wii has something liked that by Disney. Spectrobes I think?

When Masuda says "mroe action," I picture something along the lines of the Mario RPG games where tapping certain buttons at certain times can cause more damage. Which would be a very welcome addition, in my opinion, since the battles in the Mario RPG games are rarely boring.

When Masuda says "mroe action," I picture something along the lines of the Mario RPG games where tapping certain buttons at certain times can cause more damage. Which would be a very welcome addition, in my opinion, since the battles in the Mario RPG games are rarely boring.

But do you know how many people would hate that? They don't want action commands in their Pokémon Games. Including this will screw up the metagame several fold for them.

Take Smash Bros Brawl for instance. The whole game revolves around randomness as that shows off all the shoutouts to other games (Pretty much the point of Smash Bros). However, whenever the Stop Having Fun Guys want to play Smash Bros, do you know which options they always chose to show off their skill?

NO ITEMS, FOX ONLY, FINAL DESINATION

They completely remove as much randomness as they can.

The main stream Pokémon games work similar to chess. Except that there are more then 500 unique playing pieces and all are customizable. Adding an element that requires the player's hand-eye coordination would completely upset the unique metagame that's developed over a period of more then 10 years now. The very core of the franchise revolves around it. They aren't going to risk destorying it. Few people love a genre change with their franchises, it causes more grief if anything.

But do you know how many people would hate that? They don't want action commands in their Pokémon Games. Including this will screw up the metagame several fold for them.

Take Smash Bros Brawl for instance. The whole game revolves around randomness as that shows off all the shoutouts to other games (Pretty much the point of Smash Bros). However, whenever the Stop Having Fun Guys want to play Smash Bros, do you know which options they always chose to show off their skill?

NO ITEMS, FOX ONLY, FINAL DESINATION

They completely remove as much randomness as they can.

The main stream Pokémon games work similar to chess. Except that there are more then 500 unique playing pieces and all are customizable. Adding an element that requires the player's hand-eye coordination would completely upset the unique metagame that's developed over a period of more then 10 years now. The very core of the franchise revolves around it. They aren't going to risk destorying it. Few people love a genre change with their franchises, it causes more grief if anything.
While yes you have a point the battle will only get better. Timed action commands for double slap. Pow pow you got yourself not only a doubleslap but another turn at it. Like the 2-5 times but with 4-10 hits. It would certainly add a twist that would shake things up quite a bit and if they really want to make the DS games incompatible with the next DS battle wise(seriously do you see cross gen battling?)(assuming they do not make the gen5 games for the DSi) then it would be the perfect way.

When he says adding action elements to the game, I really don't think he means changing up the current battle system. My first impression was that he meant adding more action to the main game. Maybe adding by certain sidequests?

When he says adding action elements to the game, I really don't think he means changing up the current battle system. My first impression was that he meant adding more action to the main game. Maybe adding by certain sidequests?

Thats what I first thought, I mean they added Looker in Platinum and the Galactic meeting in Veilstone building with was it Cyrus? talking to many grunts and that was more than D/P had... also Charon in Stark Mountain too and Police talking him away now and Reverse world plot and all three legendary dragons in Spear illar thats starting to get more action if you ask me.

I think they finally understand that to a point people get bored with the lack of things to do and spicing them up with some action elements makes the game more enjoyable for players new and old.

I kinda thought that this is was Ranger was all about, a spin off action title. I have not taste for it. I'd like to keep my Pokemon RPGs please.

Thats what I first thought, I mean they added Looker in Platinum and the Galactic meeting in Veilstone building with was it Cyrus? talking to many grunts and that was more than D/P had... also Charon in Stark Mountain too and Police talking him away now and Reverse world plot and all three legendary dragons in Spear illar thats starting to get more action if you ask me.

I think they finally understand that to a point people get bored with the lack of things to do and spicing them up with some action elements makes the game more enjoyable for players new and old.
Also in the NTSC and not so much in the pal version galactic is said to have a connection to the gambling in the game corner. Imagine if they extended that in game. Also this kinda made me think of my crazy idea. Lets say more action means a spicier story more cutscenes and an evil doer to top Cyrus. Who else but Cyrus to do so. Think of it. In the 5th gen you explore the region under Sinnoh(for me it is the most likely are with the Mt Coronet line expanding south). Mass outbreaks of dark portals appear. Yes that is right. Add action to the story by immersing the character in a proper torn world story. Cyrus returns from the torn world all ravaged and insane looking. His eys a deep purple glow in fury. He has fully explored the torn world and grew powers to control warps. Its up to you the hero of the game to explore this new region by collecting badges and such to progress into the story and find the 1 of the 2 legends that will be able to stop Cyrus. After the story dies down you travel back to Sinnoh. But with Cyrus gone team galactic dissapears off the radar. Then after hearing their leader is back but once again dissapeared they bust Pluto out of jail and try to take over Sinnoh. Crazy I know but wouldn't be sweet if they do so and the spear pillar has Lucas training and saying this is were Giratina first popped up. Now that all this madness with the torn world is over I can stop overlooking this area. Wanna battle?
Sorry bout that. Me and my crazy ideas....but they have popped up as games before.(I actually drew up a bunch of stuff and talked to myself while jotting notes about a metroid prime trilogy and a week later it popped up or that time I said to myself link on a train is something I need and boom month later spirit tracks. But I will probably be called insane so X}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom