• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Masuda considering adding action to series: Director mentions possibility in Game Inf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Masuda considering adding action to series: Director mentions possibility in Game

While yes you have a point the battle will only get better. Timed action commands for double slap. Pow pow you got yourself not only a doubleslap but another turn at it. Like the 2-5 times but with 4-10 hits. It would certainly add a twist that would shake things up quite a bit and if they really want to make the DS games incompatible with the next DS battle wise(seriously do you see cross gen battling?)(assuming they do not make the gen5 games for the DSi) then it would be the perfect way.

Are you honestly suggesting that they throw away more then ten years worth of development for the sake of novelty?

When you have a formula that makes you millions of dollars every year for more then ten years straight, you don't fuck with it and risk losing what made your franchise unique.

Also, what if you happen to be bad at things involving hand-eye coordination? It would be a great way to alienate your fanbase with.

Pokémon Ranger fits the niche of a Pokémon game that involves good hand-eye coordination and it does the job well enough. There's absolutely no need to fuck with the current battle system, lest you decide to screw up everything that needs the turn-based system to work.

What is far more likely though, is adding more mini-games that are action-orientired, similar to the Pokéblock or Poffin mixing:

Like say, excerise mini-games that can help your Pokémon get stronger. Kinda like EV training but without having to battle the same Pokémon over and over.

Re: Masuda considering adding action to series: Director mentions possibility in Game

I assume he means a more dark, mature story?

Yeah, that makes sense. Like a bigger subplot to the game to go alongside the main quest (getting badges and battling the elite 4).

Sounds like more touch-screen activities to me.

Perhaps by action, he means that each section of the game - gym leaders, specific quests, so on - will have a unique quirk to it that will make that specific section of the game unique and enjoyable on its own. The mechanics of the game would not be changed, just the plot of the story itself.

To show where I'm going at, perhaps Nintendo could make a section that is similar to Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door, when Mario visited Twilight Town. That chapter wasn't a simple "defeat the bad guy;" Mario had to go back and forth between the church and the town just to get the Crystal Star and reclaim his body, gaining a new partner in the process.

Granted, Pokemon wouldn't have to take a body-snatching route - But the games could have that unique quirk to each part of the adventure that makes it unique. Perhaps the enemy team kidnaps the gym leader and takes the city hostage for a while? Just an example.

Or probabaly it can mean that we will play in the same way but the sprite will move in moooore battle style.
For example :
Pikachu vs Onix *sighs*
We choose Iron Tail like always.
Now the screen shows from sidelines as Pikachu rushes forward and then jumpes and lands a blow on Onix.

Oh my... I am not doing a good job explaining.
Means the movement of the sprites will be more action like.

I had a nailed down system for shaking up the battle system. I've been wanting to post it, but debating heavily on if I should. I think it works perfect for the direction Nintendo is going with their systems, and it can be simplified down to current battles as well, giving the same effect people have when double battles were introduced. It kind of takes a note from strategy games without ever being a strategy game (similar tactic that pokemon already uses).

I guess I need to hurry along, it really is a system I want them consider, but I've been so busy it's hard to keep up with fan stuff. Still, maybe by coincidence it'll be similar.

I guess I need to hurry along, it really is a system I want them consider, but I've been so busy it's hard to keep up with fan stuff. Still, maybe by coincidence it'll be similar.
If your idea is the sort of thing that would benefit the series without detracting from its core, then Game Freak have already thought of it. They don't frequent Pokémon forums for helpful tips and suggestions - at least not regarding something on this scale.

I would prefer to see action segments done as a third type of competition/Pokemon interaction rather than having them added to the main battle system, at least at large.

PDL said:
Take Smash Bros Brawl for instance.

Um...I don't really see what that has to do with anything. The battle systems in Smash and the battle systems in the Mario RPG games (which is what first popped into my mind when Mr. Masuda said he wanted to add action to the main franchise) couldn't be more different. For starters...one's a fighting game, and one's an RPG.

Keeping the Pokemon battle system the same but adding a few timed action commands to help you deal more damage would be a great way to freshen things up without alienating the people who have become attached to the game's existing system.

Also, what if you happen to be bad at things involving hand-eye coordination?

Then practice and get better.

Really, have you played any of the Mario RPGs? The hand-eye coordination required for the battles in that game is not all that demanding.

KantoBoy said:

I assume he would have said that if that's what he meant.

Then practice and get better.

Really, have you played any of the Mario RPGs? The hand-eye coordination required for the battles in that game is not all that demanding.
I have. With a little practice you could preform a pretty long chain for the super jump. i say this cause either the story being actioned up or timed commands are both something I would want. Also if you can beat a song on expert in GH you can damn very well do action commands in an rpg.

Keeping the Pokemon battle system the same but adding a few timed action commands to help you deal more damage would be a great way to freshen things up without alienating the people who have become attached to the game's existing system.

But it would then have a bigger chance of completely turning around the metagame. If some moves require easier timed commands than others, and certain Pokemon are the only ones to learn those moves, we could be seeing them in the competitive scene more often. Whether that turns out to be a good thing or depends on the moves and Pokemon.

Unless you're trying to Superguard most projectile attacks in PMTYD, or just trying to Superguard in general, of course.

They better not revamp the core of the battling system with this "hand eye co-ordination, for a more powerful Doubleslap" idea that a lot of you have been suggesting, because then it would be the end of ShoddyBattle ;_;

Unless you're trying to Superguard most projectile attacks in PMTYD, or just trying to Superguard in general, of course.
Any action command in that game required rock hard conectration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom