• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Masuda dismisses "No third version" speculation: Game director denies rumor that ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Masuda dismisses "No third version" speculation: Game director denies rumor that

Considering I was mocked and insulted for saying the statement was untrue, I believe I'm owed an apology by some people...

Masuda didn't say the statement was untrue. He said (if that translation was accurate) that he didn't recall saying there wouldn't be a third version.

Setting aside the fact that it still leaves room for him saying it then forgetting it for some reason, he never said there wouldn't be one in the first place. Mana Ibe said that, again, if the translation can be counted on.

Regardless of whether that statement is true or not, it has not been confirmed or denied. He basically used other words to say "no comment".

Hell, considering he was surprised to hear about the rumor, maybe Ibe wasn't supposed to say that there wouldn't be a third version, and they're not planning on making one, and he was just surprised she's gone and blabbed about it anyway.

Edit: Personally, I hope there is a third version, but all of this arguing is just...

Last edited:
Re: Masuda dismisses "No third version" speculation: Game director denies rumor that

It's good to know Masuda's version, but he didn't actually contradict Mana Ibe's comment. Considering that she was also present (as can be seen in the video), the question should have also been addressed to her. Instead they asked her about her favorite new Pokémon...

Considering I was mocked and insulted for saying the statement was untrue, I believe I'm owed an apology by some people...
You're not owed an apology for any well-posed criticism directed at you for saying that a statement made by a Game Freak employee is not newsworthy.

I knew it. The very fact that Masuda was surprised by that statement means that third version will come out like in the previous 4 gens. I see no reason why would they break the well-established pattern now.

It's good to know Masuda's version, but he didn't actually contradict Mana Ibe's comment.
You don't actually expect that he would say; "She said that? Well that's absolutely not true - you'll be getting the third version very soon which is as twice as good as the original Black & White games. We also go deeper in the past of the characters (N) and not to mention the improved graphics and possible new additions which will thrill you all. But don't listen to me, just buy Black & White! *smiles*"

There's nothing else he could say.

Last edited:

It's good to know Masuda's version, but he didn't actually contradict Mana Ibe's comment. Considering that she was also present (as can be seen in the video), the question should have also been addressed to her. Instead they asked her about her favorite new Pokémon...

You're not owed an apology for any well-posed criticism directed at you for saying that a statement made by a Game Freak employee is not newsworthy.
Except that's not what I said. That's what you and the other staff inferred based upon the bias against me.

Except that's not what I said. That's what you and the other staff inferred based upon the bias against me.
You left very little to the imagination.

I'm not biased against you, but I think what you did was unprofessional. Whether or not you thought Mana Ibe was lying, you shouldn't have misquoted her as saying that "there are no plans at the moment for future games". As far as we know, she said that Black and White were the last games of their installment; Kotaku even took that to mean that Generation VI might be underway.

And your analysis of the situation turned out to be wrong. Clearly, Game Freak don't mind us thinking that there may be a third version. It is not common practice for them them to blatantly lie about future games; what Mana Ibe did is an oddity that remains unexplained.

Bias or not, this thread is not about that.

I will just say that if anyone still thinks third version won't happen after this, he/she is in denial. :/

You don't actually expect that he would say; "She said that? Well that's absolutely not true - you'll be getting the third version very soon which is as twice as good as the original Black & White games. We also go deeper in the past of the characters (N) and not to mention the improved graphics and possible new additions which will thrill you all. But don't listen to me, just buy Black & White! *smiles*"

There's nothing else he could say.
You're missing the point. She was right there during the interview; if the intention was to dispel any rumors, she should have been the one to say that she had not denied the possibility of a third version.

When Satoru Iwata blurted out in an interview details about a DS successor, a spokesperson later stated that Iwata's comment had been misinterpreted. But the newspaper which interviewed Iwata denied having made a mistake. In retrospect, it is clear that the newspaper was telling the truth, and that the PR stunt was the coverup for Iwata's openness.

In this case, Mana Ibe hasn't even retracted her statement. It seems convenient that Masuda didn't have to contradict MeriStation.

What annoys me about the interview is that the translated speech refers to individual in third person rather than first person, and that they used the same voice for both (especially considering that the two are of different genders).

You're missing the point. She was right there during the interview; if the intention was to dispel any rumors, she should have been the one to say that she had not denied the possibility of a third version.

When Satoru Iwata blurted out in an interview details about a DS successor, a spokesperson later stated that Iwata's comment had been misinterpreted. But the newspaper which interviewed Iwata denied having made a mistake. In retrospect, it is clear that the newspaper was telling the truth, and that the PR stunt was the coverup for Iwata's openness.

In this case, Mana Ibe hasn't even retracted her statement. It seems convenient that Masuda didn't have to contradict MeriStation.
Junichi Masuda stated that he did not recall ever saying there would not be another version, and that he was very surprised to hear about the rumor.
Of course he is surprised, since he will be working on the very same game. He's the man in charge, if he didn't take the opportunity to confirm the rumors of there not being a third game, he would have done that just like he did with the rumors of the enhanced graphics of BW on 3DS.

There is no cause more futile than demanding apologies from people you believe have wronged you on the internet.

To everyone: This is not the "gloating about being vindicated" thread, nor is it the "get one over on Serebii at all costs" thread.

I'll be leaving shortly for the Celebi event in Liverpool. If, when I get back, I find that things in this thread have deteriorated, I shall be most vexed.

So watch it.

What are little Game makers made of?

Pokemon is serious business indeed. D8 BW not even in everywhere in the world, and there's this huge muck here! Everyone has to calm down, man. D: We all know there'll be a third version eventually, so why pick fights?

And even if there ISN'T a 3rd version, there is still no reason to be so angry. o.o

This is great for me because I plan on skipping Black and White and waiting for Gray. While it was kinda obvious that there would be a third version, I'm still glad that it is no longer denied.

Well, since Mana Ibe doesn't have a large role in the franchise, while Jun'ichi Masuda is the board director, his Word of God supersedes Ibe's.

I'm still getting White. I've already preordered for it and everything. And in two years, I'll tackle Unova again for sure!

This is great for me because I plan on skipping Black and White and waiting for Gray. While it was kinda obvious that there would be a third version, I'm still glad that it is no longer denied.

this is why they dont want to talk about it. They want Black and White to sell, if they said outright, "yes we are making a 3rd version", people would wait instead of buying B/W. I dont get why people dont understand this. They would rather people think no third version and then have them purchase the current game. Im my opinion Masuda didnt have to do this at all.

So the denial of the confirmed denial is confirmed. :p

So the denial of the confirmed denial is confirmed. :p

*mind is completely blown*

NO WAAAA-

Why am I not surprised? Masuda is a definitive figure amongst the Pokémon fans, while Ibe wasn't...

ahhhh
i'm glad this mess has been solved~!
there's no way that they were going to say ''no, thanks'' to more money XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom