• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mawile and other oddities

TaoistNeji

Your jibs are now busted
Reaction score
What is mawile and what qualifies it as steel type? Does it have steel teeth on its false mouth?

Please add more "hey, why is that?" things about pokemon! Thanks. :)

----------------

Edit: Thanks for the theories, I'm considering this solved now from Paragon's post, but I'm still gonna post stuff here.

Last edited:
I assumed it (Jirachi) was part steel due to it's association with comets and possibly asteroids.

What is mawile and what qualifies it as steel type? Does it have steel teeth on its false mouth?

Actually, it had iron horns that, in time, evolved into a fake mouth.

And never mind about the mystery behind Diglett's feet! Im trying to solve Dugtrio's!

Mawile is based on a Japanese demon ghost (yokai). So it would be more fitting if Mawile was ghost type.

Why is Palkia typed as part water and Dialga as steel?
Is space = water and time = steel?
Or is it because Palkia, Pearl's mascot, pearl = water
and dialga, diamond = steel? Now that doesn't make so much sense.

hi Agent Cobalt,..
thanks for the nice posting,..its very nice sharing,..

Just to add to the luvdisc bit, it's a butterfly discus to be specific. They're a mutant strain with no tail (it can also refer to a specific striping pattern with or without a tail). The middle right picture on that page of the pigeon blood butterfly discus is pretty much luvdisc right there.

What!? I just found out that Carnivine's special ability is LEVITATE!

An inflatable punching bag, the kind that are designed to right themselves (most of the time) when struck.

A four legged robotic lifeform? These are fictional, they don't have to make much sense.

An inflatable punching bag, the kind that are designed to right themselves (most of the time) when struck.

Seriously? That's hilarious and it actually makes sense with the moves it has... but still...why does it's tail have eyes...

The only "oddity" I have ever truly experienced in this franchise is that an Altaria, a phoenix-like pokemon, is part Dragon-type. If there is some real-world reference to this pokemon's origin and a rationalization for its typing, please explain it to me.

Altaria is based on a mythological bird with cloud wings, that is sometimes said to have features simillar to eastern dragons.

Carnivine is just a slightly anthrompised carnivorous plant that floats.

As for the Wobuffet's tail... I dunno. Probably just some bit of randomness from the designers.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom