• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mawile and other oddities

^Aeroblast is a Flying-type move, so Lugia does get STAB for its signature move. It's just that Lugia doesn't seem like it would be a Psychic-type to me when it lives under caves guarded by whirlpools, as well being named "The Guardian of the Sea". Water just seems more fitting.

Altaria is based on a mythological bird with cloud wings, that is sometimes said to have features simillar to eastern dragons.

Carnivine is just a slightly anthrompised carnivorous plant that floats.

As for the Wobuffet's tail... I dunno. Probably just some bit of randomness from the designers.

I'd guess that Wobbuffet's tail is its Shadow Tag, and that's why it desperately tries to keep the tail hidden. The Shadow Tag tail is what traps the Pokemon. That's my two cents, anyways.

I'd guess that Wobbuffet's tail is its Shadow Tag, and that's why it desperately tries to keep the tail hidden. The Shadow Tag tail is what traps the Pokemon. That's my two cents, anyways.

I'm not sure that could work, because two new Pokémon have been given that ability.

Lucario is a Fighting and Steel type. Huh? Most Steel-types look distinctly inorganic while Lucario...does not.

To be honest, Fighting-Psychic would have worked better.

Wasn't the blue blob we all know as Wobbuffet just some kind of substitute thingy, and that the black tail with white eyes was the real Wobbuffet? That's what I've read.. I mean, it does make sense since the blue blob actually doesn't do much and always protects itself/the tail..

I think it's only an obvious that Mawhile is a Steel type. I don't know why, but it feels like that way. But sure it is one strange discovery of Tajiri's.

Why is Goldeen and Seaking's Dream World ability Lightningrod?! What if an Electric attack was used before it could use Mud Sport?

I've got a bit of a list.

Deoxys: Is it supposed to be based off of anything besides a representation of an alien?

Genosect: Is there a specific kind of insect it's based off?

Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza: What are they based on?

Voltorb and Electrode: For some bizarre reason, Electric/Steel would sound like a better typing to me.

Giratina: Why is it a Ghost-type? Why not Dark-type?

Here's my answer's from what I know for various things:

Mawile: The steel typing comes from the "horn" on it head which I think really is Steel because women put clips in their hair, most all of which have metal in them, or on them.

Metagross: Not too sure, but in it's 3D adaptaions when it moves it looks like a tire iron from above

Luvdisc: I thought it was this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_sunfish but appearently Mamanbou is.

Wobuffet's tail: Watches its back... which is why it can counter anything! Also, I remember something about a pokedex entry saying it basically the tail is where its brain is, so it tries to hide it or something-or-other.

Deoxys: Is based off of DNA, more specifically, its Helix, and since Humans discovered it, it has a humanoid shape, but defination does look completely human.

Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza: Sea, Land and Sky; Truely, Kyogre is an Orca Whale, Groudon looks like a Bulldozer (at least its tail does), and Rayquaza is a Wyvern.

Voltorb and Electrode: Yea Steel does make a lot of sense, but I don't think they wanted to give 2 gen 1 pokemon retypes.

Giratina: Giratina is not evil, just controlling, ALL dark types are quite literally in Japan EVIL!. Giratina phases in and out of existance between planes, much like the idea of Ghosts being on different planes. Why it is Dragon should be asked more or less (I think just to complete a Trio :/)

Dark-type does seem evil to me. Their moves are sneaky, angry, deceptive, cunning, startling, kind of cruel, but Pokémon needs it to balance out the power of the almost god-like Psychic and Ghost types. I was expecting Giratina to be able to learn Dark Pulse, weird it can't, it actually can't learn almost any Dark-moves, but at least they did add Darkrai, so they both the first Ghost and Dark-type Legendaries.

Dark-type does seem evil to me. Their moves are sneaky, angry, deceptive, cunning, startling, kind of cruel, but Pokémon needs it to balance out the power of the almost god-like Psychic and Ghost types. I was expecting Giratina to be able to learn Dark Pulse, weird it can't, it actually can't learn almost any Dark-moves, but at least they did add Darkrai, so they both the first Ghost and Dark-type Legendaries.

Well translation states in Japan our Dark-types are Yami, which is Japanese for evil. What would be AMAZING is if they had a Generation with 1 or NO ledgendaries. Instead you had to face EV trained and IV bred Pokemon! Making things WAAAY more realistic.

Well translation states in Japan our Dark-types are Yami, which is Japanese for evil. What would be AMAZING is if they had a Generation with 1 or NO ledgendaries. Instead you had to face EV trained and IV bred Pokemon! Making things WAAAY more realistic.

No, Japanese Dark-types are Aku, not Yami. Aku means evil, Yami just means dark.

No, Japanese Dark-types are Aku, not Yami. Aku means evil, Yami just means dark.
Roughly, when using them to describe a noun (but not a place or time) they both mean evil. However, yes I was wrong, they do use aku for the games.

Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza: What are they based on?

Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza seem to be based on the three beasts of Hebrew mythology: the sea-dwelling Leviathan (Kyogre), the land-dwelling Behemoth (Groudon), and the sky-dwelling Ziz (Rayquaza).

As for their designs, Kyogre is a stylised killer whale, Groudon seems to be based on dinosaurs, and Rayquaza looks like an Asian dragon or perhaps the Aztecs' Quetzalcoatl.

Wasn't the blue blob we all know as Wobbuffet just some kind of substitute thingy, and that the black tail with white eyes was the real Wobbuffet? That's what I've read.. I mean, it does make sense since the blue blob actually doesn't do much and always protects itself/the tail..

This. It honestly explains every facet of wobbuffet.

-Why it can only counter moves and not attack by itself (because the blue part is like a shield)
-why it tries to protect the tail (because it's the REAL wobbuffet)
-why its facial expression is just scribbles (because it's a false face!)

I love it, congrats for coming up with the theory!

For Metagross, quadruped robotic figures have been a popular figure since games started. Other than that, I can't really provide another explanation.

And they gave the Magnemite family a re-type. Why not the Voltorb line?

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom