• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mawile and other oddities

This. It honestly explains every facet of wobbuffet.

-Why it can only counter moves and not attack by itself (because the blue part is like a shield)
-why it tries to protect the tail (because it's the REAL wobbuffet)
-why its facial expression is just scribbles (because it's a false face!)

I love it, congrats for coming up with the theory!
hehe thanks! :p and yeah, it just totally makes sense xD I just don't know if it would be the same theory for Wynaut.. I mean, Wynaut in the anime and it's Emerald sprite move more then Wobbuffet, and the only times Wobbuffet move in the anime, is.. never.. i think. or almost never.

But about Wobbuffet, its appearance in SSBB shows the tail actually sticking out of the side, as if it's looking at something.. I know that SSBB isn't canon to the games nor the anime, but if you think about, why else would the tail stick out the side?

I don't know, it's tail also resembles as shadow, and it's ability is Shadow Tag, so maybe it's keeping the blue part in place?

^ as Green said before:
I'm not sure that could work, because two new Pokémon have been given that ability.
So the black bit might not be its shadow tag.

But I love that idea of Wobbuffet actually being the little black "tail"! To add to this theory, here's some pokedex entries:
Bulbapedia said:
It desperately tries to keep its black tail hidden. It is said to be proof the tail hides a secret.

Wobbuffet does nothing but endure attacks - it won't attack on its own. However, it won't endure an attack on its tail. When that happens, the Pokémon will try to take the foe with it using Destiny Bond.

It hates light and shock. If attacked, it inflates its body to pump up its counterstrike.
Add these all together, and it all makes perfect sense! I will never look at it the same again...

You, sir, are a genius!

^ as Green said before:

So the black bit might not be its shadow tag.
Yeah, but before Gen 5, its evo family was the only ones who had it, and I'm not saying that it is its Shadow Tag, I'm saying it's more of a representation of Shadow Tag.

It's not supposed to have any attacking moves other than Counter and Mirror Coat.
But Bide is so similar to those moves: "The user endures attacks for two turns, then strikes back to cause double the damage taken," it would be right up Wobbuffet's alley.

Is there any use for the ability Timid?

It's one of those hindering abilities like Slaking's Truant or Regigigas' Slow Start that are just meant to offset Archaeos' high stats. Probably the only beneficial use it would have would be to switch Archaeos in when you think your opponent would use Skill Swap and pawn it off on them.

Last edited:
What is mawile and what qualifies it as steel type? Does it have steel teeth on its false mouth?
Quoting its Hg/Ss Pokedex entry: "It chomps with its gaping mouth. Its huge jaws are actually steel horns that have been transformed."

And that's why Mawile's a steel type.

It's one of those hindering abilities like Slaking's Truant or Regigigas' Slow Start that are just meant to offset Archaeos' high stats. Probably the only beneficial use it would have would be to switch Archaeos in when you think your opponent would use Skill Swap and pawn it off on them.
Ooh! That's sneaky!

Quoting its Hg/Ss Pokedex entry: "It chomps with its gaping mouth. Its huge jaws are actually steel horns that have been transformed."

And that's why Mawile's a steel type.
hugging.gif
Mystery solved.

Why do evolved Pokemon, including those that evolve at pretty high levels, have low-level level-up moves in their movesets, like Pidgeot's moveset saying it learns Whirlwind at level 17 even though it doesn't evolve until level 36?

Pentacarbonyl said:
Lucario is a Fighting and Steel type. Huh? Most Steel-types look distinctly inorganic while Lucario...does not.

To be honest, Fighting-Psychic would have worked better.

I guess they did it for the lulz then? If Lucario HAD been Psychic/Fighting, just imagine all the people whining about Lucario "stealing" Gallade and Medicham's typing. They're sure bitching enough about Blaziken/Infernape/Enbuoh...

Kyoto Tushoni said:
What would be AMAZING is if they had a Generation with 1 or NO ledgendaries. Instead you had to face EV trained and IV bred Pokemon! Making things WAAAY more realistic.

Not everyone plays competitively, you know. A competitive battle is very much controlled; after seeing a move or two from your opponent, you already know EVERYTHING about them, as well as the perfect counter (hopefully). I see no fun in it, sadly.

But with the random IV/EV spread of all COM opponents, it just keeps things more realistic than competitive play. There will be Pokemon that are stronger and weaker than others. It's a fact of life among humans in this world, too, so the current style is actually the more realistic one.

I had a theory that Lucario is supposed to be a great all-round fighter, with a high number of type effectives and resistances. This could explain the steel type.

Why can't Wobbuffet learn Bide?

With the amount of HP its has, it's most likely it'll survive the two power-up turns and then annihilat ethe opponent. Then you jsut switch, heal it and repeat the process.

Why is Palkia typed as part water and Dialga as steel?
Is space = water and time = steel?
Or is it because Palkia, Pearl's mascot, pearl = water
and dialga, diamond = steel? Now that doesn't make so much sense.

i always thought because space is fluid and we can activley move through it (it being the first three dimensions) while time being the fourth dimension is something we cannot directley effect the same way we can space(yay physics)

Moonlight Umbreon said:
Metagross...what the heck is it?

maybe a ufo? it says it can process infromtaion faster than a super computer and has the abilty to levitate by tucking it's four legs underneath it in the ruby pokedex

Trainer_Gabriel said:
I never understood why Lugia is part Psychic-type. Why not Water/Flying?

think pomkemon 2000, it is the leader of the bird trio(as ho-oh is to the dogs or gigas to the regis) do to the fact that they have a tendencey to fight with each other, his psychic calming makes more sense. then take into consideration his soulsilver entry "It is rumored to have been seen on the night of a storm. "
perhaps leading sailors to safety(or doom i don't judge)

Pentacarbonyl said:
Lucario is a Fighting and Steel type. Huh? Most Steel-types look distinctly inorganic while Lucario...does not.

for this one we look at his apperance, he has natural spike coming out of both his hands and his chest giving the impression that he perhaps has a metal skelton.We also recieve from an egg(riolu) on, where else but iron island which is the home of a registeel(i say a because they are cross games but i will get to them some other time)implying perhaps a blessing from this golem

Ombrare said:
Voltorb and Electrode: For some bizarre reason, Electric/Steel would sound like a better typing to me.

there are a few of possibiltys for this

one is that they were originally pokeballs that were brought to life(artificial pokemon are posssible as with mewtwo, a clone, or porygon, a program) so this would still infer that it should be steel unless you think, what is a pokeball but a small computer really, this would imply that they wouldn't be made from steel but perhaps something else(as in silver/gold you are able to get balls from nuts) so it is therfore organic

another possibilty is that voltorbs were only discovered the same time as pokeballs because the didn't mimic the shape of them before than, i mean what would be a better disguise than something people overlook daily? they could have been some other creature before, maybe made of pure energy that took over pokeballs or maybe just electric creaturse that needed a disguise to hide from predators(i am sure most pokemon know to avoid a pokeball)

the final possibilty i can think of is that the first pokeballs WERE votorbs as a base before they were able to mass produce them, this would also explain why voltorbs/electrodes are so prone to exploding from even being touched, a trait they developed for protection of course new ways were discovered(nuts etc.) but it would explain alot i mean people always aume that all pokemon are always known but alot are not

Ombrare said:
Genosect: Is there a specific kind of insect it's based off?

The easy answer is that it was just based off of giant insects of the paleozoic era but where is the fun in that, lets look a bit deeper

lets start with what we know about it already it is a bug/steel type that was resurected from a fossil by team plasma. they then proceeded to Power up the gun on it's back so it already had this odd weapon on it. it's name is a cross between genetic and/or genocide and insect, one makes it a source for insect pokemon one makes it a possible destroyer of pokemon. because of the fact the gun was powered up? i am personally going with genocidal insect(maybe thats why there are so many fossil of pokemon). so what can we assume about this gun, if we go with genocide like i decide to do we can start thinking of strong weaponary and things that have been known for large destruction perhaps Nuclear(the atomic bombings on hiroshima and nagasaki come to mind for this line of thinking)

here it should start to come together, a pokemon that can survive it's own nuclear production, can cause mass destruction and is eons old? the answer may not be one people like but in my opinion it makes the most sense. Genosect is a cockroach. and as an added bonus, the steel aspect is the addition of infused armour onto genosect and the increase of power to it's cannon

phew i think that covers all the ones not yet addressed, I really hope that some more come up because that was fun :D

Last edited:
Furijio raises questions, it seems to be a giant pissed off snowflake. I guess all the snowflakes you squished together into snowballs are coming back for revenge...

And what the heck is Agirudaa? It doesn't seem like a giant tube worm to me. And Kaburumo and Shubarugo, what insects are those? They remind me of the Tongue Louse.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom