• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

May Art Contest: The Indigo League Saga [CLOSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! :D

We thought it would be fun to organize an art contest once in a while, to give you guys something to practice with, and a chance to get some promotion as an artist!

In a few months the newest Pokémon Movie “Pokémon the Movie 20: I choose you!” will be released in Japanese cinemas. This movie is a remake/retelling of the Indigo League saga, the first season of the Pokémon anime.

To tie into this, the challenge for this contest will be:

• Draw your favourite moment of the Indigo League saga (a.k.a. the first season of the Pokémon anime).

The entry that captures the anime moment the best, will be declared the winner! Rainbow Cloud and I will act as judges. Note that we will not judge based on artistic skill, so don’t worry if you can’t draw well, it’s about capturing the moment as best as you can. However, be aware that you do need to submit something that took reasonable effort. Just stick figures with the faces of Ash and Pikachu pasted on it won’t be accepted for example ;)

The winner receives the following:
  • A banner declaring them as winner of this contest, made by @Rainbow Cloud
  • Their entry will be posted on the Bulbagarden Twitter and Tumblr
  • Their art thread, if they have one, will be stickied on top of the Art Gallery for one month
All these prizes are optional, meaning you don’t have to actually use the banner and if you don’t want your entry or art thread promoted, you can say so.

Everyone who wants to participate can post one entry in this thread. You can post your entry until 11:55pm on May 31st (US Pacific Standard Time).

Have fun! And if you have any questions, you’re welcome to ask them in this thread :)

I can't enter the art contest myself but I was planning to post a drawing to participate in the theme. It's taken me a while to complete but here's one of my favourite Indigo League scenes from the episode Snow Way Out :)

The drawing was a bit too light for the scanner to pick up very well so I upped the contrast and lowered the brightness on the second version:
aUKSnwy.png
Q781KgZ.png

Last edited:
I can't enter the art contest myself but I was planning to post a drawing to participate in the theme. It's taken me a while to complete but here's one of my favourite Indigo League scenes from the episode Snow Way Out :)

The drawing was a bit too light for the scanner to pick up very well so I upped the contrast and lowered the brightness on the second version:
Snow_Way_Out_Colour0001.png
Snow_Way_Out_Colour_Darker.png
That's a good drawing. :)

Here is my effort:
AshVSJeanette.png
Ash VS Jeanette, Bulbasaur VS Beedrill, Misty VS Brock (due to him being upset by Bulbasaur's comeback)...
Was going to have Pikachu VS Bellsprout, but that technically wasn't the moment Misty went psycho at Brock, and that is my favourite scene from the original series.
"Look Brock! Leech seed's sucking out Beedrill's energy!"
*crying* "Yeah. I see."
"Hm? YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE ROOTING FOR ASH, NOT JEANETTE!!"

IMG-20170601-WA0001.jpg
Here is my entry:
This is a scene from the very first episode of the pokemon anime. Ash encounters a Ho-oh on the first day of his journey, a legendary pokemon from another region.

Can any one tell me how to rotate this image.

Last edited:
Here is my entry:
This is a scene from the very first episode of the pokemon anime. Ash encounters a Ho-oh on the first day of his journey, a legendary pokemon from another region.

Can any one tell me how to rotate this picture.

If you double click on the file on your computer, you should have two arrows going in a circle underneath it:

fdfdsf.png

Click on the left one and close the picture, and it should be saved.

You can also open it in Paint, then click on 'Rotate' in the top menu and then 'Rotate left 90' :)

If you double click on the file on your computer, you should have two arrows going in a circle underneath it:

View attachment 102818

Click on the left one and close the picture, and it should be saved.

You can also open it in Paint, then click on 'Rotate' in the top menu and then 'Rotate left 90' :)
Thanks very much, but actually I'm on mobile, and there isn't an option there. So can my entry just be accepted like this?

I’m not entering, but at least I know where contests would go.

Alright everyone, the contest is over and the judges (Rainbow Cloud and I) have decided the winner!

Art_Gallery_Awards_Banner_NMLewis_May_2017.png

NMLewis has won with the following entry:
AshVSJeanette.png

We thought this entry was colorful and nicely drawn and that it captures the style of the Kanto era anime well. What mostly made us pick this entry as the winner is that it captures multiple elements of the scene in one picture (Jeanette's entrance with the blossom petals, the battle between her and Ash, Brock being sad that Ash is winning and Misty scolding him for it).

It was a very close call between this and @Rotom1598 's entry though:
IMG-20170601-WA0001.jpg

We also really liked this one, especially because of the shading and the facial expressions on Ash and Pikachu. Together with the sparkles coming from Ho-oh as it crosses the sky, this captures the scene really well.

Congratulations @NMLewis ! The above banner is yours to use wherever you want, and your art thread will be stickied on top of the Art Gallery for a month.

Furthermore, since it was such a close call between the two contestants, we have decided that both drawings will be posted on the Bulbagarden Twitter! This is optional though, do tell us if you'd rather not have your art posted there :)

Thanks for participating and see you all at the next contest! :D

Congratulations NMLewis! :D
I am extremely happy to get an honourable mention. Thank you very much. I entered this contest because of my interest in art, specially when its pokemon, and I had fun! Thanks a lot.
And yes of course, I would like it to be posted on Bulbagarden Twitter. :X3:

Last edited:
Since we'd like to organize more contests like this in the future, can everyone tell us what they'd like to see in future contests? Like would you want them to be only about the Pokémon games, or are more anime contests good too? And do you only want to see Pokémon-related contests or also non-Pokémon ones? Anything else?

Please give us your opinion so we can make the contests as fun as possible for everyone :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom