• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

May/Haruka as a companion

She's the only female protagonist that I like! I really wish she would come back. She'll be so much better than Serena!

She's the only female protagonist that I like! I really wish she would come back. She'll be so much better than Serena!

I'd say let's give it the benefit of the doubt and say she'll be back because of the following:

1. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
2. Mega Blaziken
3. Re-introduce Pokemon Contests

I think she was the best travel companion to Ash compared to the others. I liked her character development and looking back, those episodes where she was present were great ones as well. She has her good and not-so-good characteristics which I think made her a more believable character.

The more I think about it, the more I seem to think May and Dawn were the best companions of the series. May was pretty written well considering the ambition of her charaters and her role (as Misty's replacement). The contests are also a point towards her because it gave her her own journey, her own goals. a feat that was also repeated with Dawn (and hopefully Serena). Essentially may was likely the anime's first Deuterogonist and Dawn also served as such for the very same reasons.

It's certainly telling where the saga after DP didn't not make any attempt at a deuterogonist of the series and wound up apparently sucking.

As far as Chemistry goes I really like her interactions with Max, Jessie and Ash, for many of the reasons listed above

Too bad she didn't come back... that would've been a dream come true! *Sniffs*

Hmmm... Not much else to add since everyone else gave such amazing answers... but yeah, May was definitely my top two favourite travelling companions for Ash. (I like Misty as well, but May is top ^^). She was so relatable to me because she didn't start off as a person who knew what she was doing, and she learned along the way, failed a couple of times, even let too much victory get into her head. So was far from two dimensional.

And I feel like she brought out different sides with every character she interacted with... With Ash she brought out his maturity (which is a feat in itself XD), with Max she brought out his childishness and soft side (their fighting and loving moments), with Drew she brought out his ego and competitiveness (when he finally saw how good she was, his ego went down), with Harley she brought out his cunning side (as we saw through his evil schemes in AG... lol.), and with Brock she brought out his 'big brother' side that we rarely get to see. She has an effect on everyone she's around with. <3

May did her job so well there is a reason that, with all of BW's faults, that Dawn is my least favorite female just for being the follow up to her (and treading similar ground). I wonder if I'd like Dawn better if she came with more distance between her and May (Iris doesn't bother me as much because, while Misty like, she wasn't right after her)

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom