• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

May/Haruka as a companion

Araragi-hakase

QUEEN NICKI DOMINATE
Reaction score
Do you think May was a good traveling companion for Ash/Satoshi? Do you wish things had been done differently with her? Do you think she worked well towards achieving her goal of being a Coordinator? How did you feel about her overall character development? Do you think she had a good send off/return?

Looking back, May was one of most well handled characters this show has ever had. When you look at her development between her début and eventual send off at the end of BF, you can see a clear track of development; from unwilling rookie trainer who didn't have a clue what she was doing to a competent co-ordinator who wanted to go off and her own and keep growing. What I feel really helped her as a character was that she was placed in a great environment, surrounded by good rivals such as Drew and Harley which enabled her to have a good balance of successes and struggles - Drew, her own personal Gary, being the one person she could never overcome and was always steps ahead of her, and Harley, the person she could overcome but pushed her to her limits every time. She went all the phases, from not knowing what she was doing, to slowly becoming more competent, to letting her successes get to her head, and so on.

If there's anything they could done better, it would have been to show her working on her appeals and on her battling more often than they did, and to have less of her victories be dependant deus ex machina. This is something they seemingly learned from, as they did this in DP with Dawn and it really got across that sense of accomplishment when you saw the character work hard to perfect the move outside of the contest, and then pull it off successfully during a contest. I think this would have been perfect for May, who was more of an underdog than most characters.

As a companion, I liked how she wasn't all about Pokemon training. Her initial goal of wanting to just travel and see the sights wasn't forgotten and worked well as a quirk. She also had her interest in her family and her position as an older sibling. I thought this provided an interesting contrast to Ash, who's thoughts and interest were always dominant by Pokemon, by showing that there's more to the journey than just Pokemon. This is sort of made her more relatable as well, as I think most of us in her situation would also be interested in looking around all the cities and landmarks we visited, and would be concerned about a sibling if he/she were travelling with us. On another note, it should go without saying that having her own quest that gave her plenty of things to do helped a lot.

I thought her send-off was the better ones in the show. Unlike with Misty's or even Brock's, there was no forced change insitigated just to get them off the show. Instead, May's departure seemed more like a natural progression of her character. The whole thing about her battling style being too similar to Ash's and therefore not entirely suited for contests was a clever angle, not least because it actually made a lot of sense that a rookie not knowing what they were doing would end up copying the one thing she was exposed to the most, and moving away from that exposure would inevitably help her create her own battling style and grown even more as a co-ordinator. The very fact that the decision was based on a desire to become an even better co-ordinator showed just how far she had developed in the show.

To this very day, I consider May to be the best written main character on the show. May's character was an ambitious feat for the writers, and the fact they handled her so well, given that she was the "first" of the major female "replacements," is astonishing. There is so much I could say about May, but I think Dawkins summarized most of it, so I'd like to add that, amongst the many positive attributes of May's character, one of my favorites is the fact she had interesting, meaningful relationships with a majority of the cast. May (and Max) were naive in so may ways, and Ash took them under his wing, and became a mentor toward them. It was fascinating to see Ash, who was introduced, to us, as a mere beginner at the start of the series, teaching another beginner how to train and handle Pokemon. I've never felt Ash had this relationship with anyone else. He didn't interact this way with Dawn, nor Iris (and, so far, not with Serena). He just genuinely seemed to care about the two.

May's relationship with Brock wasn't fully fleshed out; but, what we did get from it was great. She played off Brock in an entirely different way than Misty. Brock seemed protective but also easily manipulated by May's desire to shop, etc. And, for goodness sake, May had a rivalry with Jessie! And, it was so amusing to watch. And, as anyone with a sibling can attest to, her relationship with Max was adorably realistic. Their banter played off well, but they showed how much they loved one another, and it was incredibly sweet.

Lastly, May gave us Drew and Harley, both of whom I also feel were wonderfully written characters. Her rivalry with Drew was similar to Ash/Gary's, while her rivalry with Harley was absolutely perfect. Drew and Harley were polar opposites, and we got to see two different sides of May when it came to interacting with both of them.

I truly miss May, and I yearn for her to have another cameo...

May is my most favorite poke-girl, and in my opinion the best travelling companion for Ash so far. AG was the only saga when I was actually watching the show for someone else other than Ash and TR.
I loved May from her debut episode itself and she just kept on getting more and more interesting as the show progressed. Her contest arc and the character development which she underwent because of it was handled really well.
I liked how she had initially started her journey just for travelling and sight-seeing and wasn't really interested in pokemon from the beginning itself. The pokemon world is filled with characters who seem to be in love with pokemon since the day they were born, plus we see them deciding their goals according to what their family members do. May however is a strong exception to this.
She became a pokemon-co-ordinator, unlike her father who is a gym-leader. In fact, I would have loved to see a bit of a struggle in the anime on this point. Something like, her parents opposing/getting dissappointed by her choice of her goal, which would have motivated her further to improve even more and impress her parents.
Her chemistry with her rivals was awesome as well.The May/Drew relationship was developed really well and Harley was just...fabulous!
Her send-off wasn't too emotional, but it sure as hell was touching. I liked her practical mindset and how she wanted to travel on her own to develop her own battling style.
Also, she has some powerhouse pokemons, like Blaziken and Venusaur. And if her wartortle and Munchlax ever evolve into Blastoise and Snorlax in a possible future cameo then she would easily become one of the strongest girls in the show.
Plus, May's personality=/=just contests like most people think. She did a lot of interesting things other than that, like her fights with her brother Max, mentor-student relationship with Ash, being the only girl ever to share Ash's monstrous appetite, having a sweet yet determined nature etc.
So, overall, I feel that May was the best girl, with the most balanced and likeable personality.

Also, she has some powerhouse pokemons, like Blaziken and Venusaur. And if her wartortle and Munchlax ever evolve into Blastoise and Snorlax in a possible future cameo then she would easily become one of the strongest girls in the show.

I forgot to mention this! Yes! May had some of the best variety of Pokemon that any character has been given. I loved her team, and I enjoyed watching her bond with Torchic at the very beginning, as well as her Wurmple.

I really enjoyed May and she's currently my favorite of Ash's female companions.

I loved her personality and how she was more calm and sweet in comparison to Misty. I also preferred her interactions with Ash over Misty's. Misty and Ash's arguing was funny, but got annoying from time to time and preferred the kind interactions with May. Her interactions with Brock were good, better than Dawn's for sure, but not as good as Misty's imo.Her big sisterly interactions with Max, while they were annoying at times, were overall very cute and enjoyable for me. In fact there was never a time throughout all of AG where I found May boring or annoying, like her two immediate predecessors.

I liked how May's goal and development were handled. She started off not caring much about Pokémon and being expected to follow her father's path as a battler, but then found her own goal of becoming a coordinator who worked well with her Pokémon. I liked her contest style more than Dawn's since she focused a lot more on attacking along with creating beautiful appeals.

I also enjoyed all of May's Pokémon and never found a single one annoying. A lot of them were able to grow and develop as the series went on and I found that it was done well. So overall, I still find May to be my favorite female character on the show.

I guess I'm gonna be that guy who doesn't like May. At all.

I find AG one of the hardest series to remember specific details about at many times. Don't know why, I just can't. In my defense, it has been years since I've seen it. But in this instance, I can't really think of anything about May can I honestly say I enjoyed about her character. I can't say I liked her introduction. Being afraid of Pokemon yet going on such a journey seems rather...unintelligent to me. I also didn't like her attitude early on. She seemed bratty to me.

I hardly remember her doing anything to contribute to the group. That is to say, I can't think of any way Ash or Brock has changed due to her. Probably only Max, if anyone, was affected, and that would be obvious.

I also can't remember how or why May decided to be a coordinator, but I can say that worked out for her, seeing as she did become good at it, but, like Dawn, I remember even more instances of her crying because she lost. And May was so much more dramatic with it. On a good note, I don't remember her sulking as much. But I honestly just can't say I found much else about her positive. The only thing I like about her at all are her Pokemon; she does have some of my favorites, but I can't attribute that alone as a reason to like her. I won't deny that she got good development as the show went on, however, with several of her Pokemon evolving instead of staying small and cute. Speaking of, I do appreciate that she did have some powerful Pokes for her routines that don't scream cute when you look at them, like Venusaur, Munchlax, and Blaziken (Dawn seemed to overrely on small, cute, unevolved things, making their wins seem a bit forced at times).

While I can't think of any reason to call her bad, I will say that I didn't really care for her. It doesn't seem like I'm giving a lot of reason for why, though. Maybe I'm just with Harley and dislike her for no real reason but for the purpose of disliking her.

I won't deny that she got good development as the show went on, however, with several of her Pokemon evolving instead of staying small and cute. Speaking of, I do appreciate that she did have some powerful Pokes for her routines that don't scream cute when you look at them, like Venusaur, Munchlax, and Blaziken (Dawn seemed to overrely on small, cute, unevolved things, making their wins seem a bit forced at times).
Aside from Combusken and Beautifly, May’s more powerful, evolved Pokemon (Venusaur, Wartortle, Glaceon) didn’t appear until after May was written out as a main character. For most of her time in Advanced Generation, she was also relying on small, cute, un-evolved Pokemon for a lot of her wins (ex. Skitty, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Eevee - the latter two being very young when she got them). And personally, I found more of May’s wins to be far more forced than Dawn’s.

That would be my only real gripe with May as a character, though, that her journey seemed a bit too easy at times, especially when you compare to the next Coordinator, who had to lose in the Appeal Stage twice before she really got good at it. Well that, and many of her Pokemon lacked decent characterization - something that gets a little better as the series goes on - when compared to Ash’s lineup in that same region. That said, her team was still nicely balanced. Everything else about May, IMHO, is still the standard on how to do a female heroine on the main cast. It’s a standard that (in my opinion) neither Misty, Dawn, Iris, and I’m going to go ahead and just add Serena to that list now, have matched.

I enjoyed her characterization. It was nice to have a starting Trainer who wasn’t full of confidence and was unsure of herself. The only real examples of rookie Trainers who were also major characters we had in the past were Ash and Gary, and if anything they had the exact opposite problem (they were overconfident). It made for a good story to see May grow out of that and become stronger. She had some nice interaction with Ash and Max (not so much with Brock, really, but I was never all that entertained by Brock’s dynamic with most characters - Croagunk and a one-shot character here and there aside). While she may not have influenced Ash, he certainly did have an effect on her journey. It was nice to watch AG002 and see him being the more knowledgeable one for a change, and their final battle in the last episodes of AG were nice, even if I thought May should have just won. May and Max were just plain entertaining.

Her Contest storyline was the highlight of AG, IMHO, due to her rivals - Drew and Harley. While Drew seemed to me like a Gary clone at first, he ended up handled a lot better than Gary ever was. May and Drew played off each other well, with the latter managing to be both antagonistic and helpful, and I enjoyed the development they went through - eventually becoming friends in the end. I believe that their battle together in the Kanto Grand Festival remains one of the series’ best to this day. And Harley... he’s still one of the most memorable rivals anyone has ever had on this show.

Finally, May’s cameo in Diamond & Pearl was the best part of Dawn’s entire storyline. Contrasting May against the rookie Dawn, hearing about some of her progress in Jouto, seeing her new Pokemon team, and listening to her dispense advice to Dawn (and defeat Dawn’s main rival - Zoey), was a nice way of seeing how far she had come since AG.

May was overall great character for me. She was cornerstone which started whole introduction of game female heroines into anime. But not only that, she brought something innovative and completely new in pokemon series in form of contests. And she did pretty darn good job at it.

Her personality was to put it simply believable, calming and sweet to follow, Ranging from her sweet and bubbly side, interest in shopping or fashion, certain temperament side fueling desierable tension in group dynamics at times through quarrels with Max, Ash or even Brock when his hormons went out of control. Insecure and kind, even slightly naive side of hers being fixated on helping everyone giving chance for edemption , to the point of bringing herself in trouble, like it was case with perfid Harley.

All wrapped up with slight interest in romance, funny and amusing quirks like big fondness for food(especially sweets and noodless). Being very sensitive over this siubject.

With her bright opimistic nature exuing certain peaceful,comic surrounding within cast.

Her contest arc had long sprinkled with pain and thorns but in end highly rewarding path she followed.
May started completely unsure of what she wants to do, being only fixated on adventure of seeing world and meeting all kind of people and new places. She didn't wanted as gym leader daughter to follow same path, didn't even liked pokemon at first. Though that relatively quickly changed with Torchic arrival. She simply wasn't finding herself in anything which would truly fulfill her as person and bring sail in winds motivating to go forward, improve and have reason to keep going identifying herself with it.

Until she discovered contests and girl named Janet leaving huge influence on her which would greatly change May's life.

As such she had pretty rocky start, had little to none knowledge about pokemon battles, training, how competitions function etc. starting to take slow but surely solid, strong improvement thanks to Ash help. Who served as some sort of mentor at times enjoying in their relationship filled with lot of mutual respect, gratitude and admiration coming from May side. With Ash restless, persistent approach leaving certain influence on her. Starting to emulate Ash way of strategy and use of attacks in contest battles which often caught coordinators of guard, simply not being prepared to raw, brutal battle style in events which focused more on elegance and way of making pokemon attacks more flashy and innovative approach. Her battle record winning most contest battle rounds on knock out evidenced that.Which worked boith in May favor but also against her with this stance not coming without side effects. Resulting in giving her trouble within appeal rounds and more calculated opponents who played on points card in battle rounds becoming uncapable of utilizing pokemon techniques in most optimal synchronized way which is expecetd from coordinators.

To leave better impression and earn styling points during appeal rounds but battles as well with point of being efficient not lying in running in ground opponent pokemon knocking him down, but perform techniques in optimal captivating manner making them look beautiful.

Serving as build up toward May eventually coming to cognition of becoming too reliant on Ash starting to emulate his strategy deciding how its time to leave nest and go on her own to develop and find her own style as coordinator, battle approach and way to maximize performance during appeal rounds. In endeavor of learning more by being in company of other coordinators at times and increasing strength and skills by her own.

Reflecting how much she grew as character from early days being girl insecure, unsure of what she wants to do in life and uninterested. Becoming mature, sure in herself and collected girl with plans of what she wants to be in life and how she will get there set in mind. Strengthening and making richer her meek, kind but also to extent fiery side when irritated or fooled around.

She had amazing team of pokemon liking fact how she posess two out of three Kanto starters Ash has in collection. With both evolving and becoming admiring powerhouses. Same applies to Blaziken who is her loyal and fellow partner accompaning her on various adventures and setbacks she needed or is yet expected to jump over and move forward. There is of course Munchlax who was intriguing provider of comedy with gluttonous attutude and Beautifly, Glacion as one of her prettiest and most appealing pookemon perfect for contests.

Another positive circumstance going in May favor was presence of some of most enjoyable and ingenious creations in history of pokenmon series as far as rivalry goes. Whether im talking about Drew who seemed to harbor romantic feelings for May character leaving great deal of influence on her in not giving up and being pushed by motivation to step up her own game and surpass him with their shifting relationship filled with admiration, certain blushing, intolerance and agitation wanting to surpass each other eventually evolving in beautiful both sides respectful friendship.

Or Harley who was bastard, full of peculiar characteristics. Being deceiving, feminine, girly and full of flamboyant behavior,. Resorting to most sneaky tricks and ideas to the point of even trying to pretend to be May friend wanting to "settle things out" taking advantage of poor girl good heart and innocent, naive nature.

Growing in dangerous and real threat which brought in question whole future of May career as coordinator which needed to be cut in root from start. All because of rather petty and most irrelevant details such as his cookies not being "best" she ever tried or finding Cacturne scary resembling girl who stole once his snack in younger days.

All in all sure i could list negative sides and things i was disatissfied about May character and contribution to pokemon series, but positive sides and moments outweight negative ones imo, so why be a downer and nitpicker?

Generally speaking May was good character, my second favorite out of all main female compoanipons pokemon series offered. And while in terms of enteretainment, sympathy and emotional sense she didn't left same impression on me like Misty did with her dreams lacking that certain mysterious touch to them, she was one hell od a ride. Liking what she brought, her personality, quirks and selfpreservance a lot.

With that thought in mind i wouldnt hesitate in slightest to see her come back eventually, inform us on how her of screen adventures went, enjoy in various spats, fluid interactions and dimensional, lively dynamic she can produce along with getting more growth herself and show how much she improved and where will future lead her.

She was the only (important) bad thing in AG series for me. Especially her personality. She became trainer to just travel around, she didn't care. When she started to care, she cared about her Beautifly more than her starter Pokemon. And I can not even accept if someone doesn't care about his starter in the games. Then seeing like someone in the show... Also she got very cocky very fast.

Do you not think it somewhat normal that May would be more attached to Beautifly than to Torchic, though?

Torchic was given to her at a stage where she would have happily traded it and other Pokemon for a trip around the world. She liked it, and cared for it to the extent that she took responsibility for it, but she had no great desire to have it in the first place.

Contrast that with Beautifly, which was the first Pokemon she caught on her own, the first Pokemon she actually wanted and the one she happened to use the most during her early contests because it knew Silver Wind, it's not surprising that one was favoured more over the other.

I loved May as a companion. My only problem with her came during the Kanto Grand Festival. She had seven pokemon yet only used 4 during it. Add insult to injury is that they brought back Beautifly and Skitty a few episodes later. At the very least, she could of brought Bulbasaur back and had it evolve into Ivysaur there so her having a Venusaur wasn't such a shock when she returned later on. She needed some more variety to truly show off her growth as a coordinator.

I find AG one of the hardest series to remember specific details about at many times. Don't know why, I just can't. In my defense, it has been years since I've seen it. But in this instance, I can't really think of anything about May can I honestly say I enjoyed about her character. I can't say I liked her introduction. Being afraid of Pokemon yet going on such a journey seems rather...unintelligent to me. I also didn't like her attitude early on. She seemed bratty to me.

May wasn't afraid of Pokemon. She didn't like them and used the journey as an excuse to travel, but she wasn't scared of them.

Team Gaara said:
I also can't remember how or why May decided to be a coordinator, but I can say that worked out for her, seeing as she did become good at it, but, like Dawn, I remember even more instances of her crying because she lost. And May was so much more dramatic with it. On a good note, I don't remember her sulking as much. But I honestly just can't say I found much else about her positive. The only thing I like about her at all are her Pokemon; she does have some of my favorites, but I can't attribute that alone as a reason to like her. I won't deny that she got good development as the show went on, however, with several of her Pokemon evolving instead of staying small and cute. Speaking of, I do appreciate that she did have some powerful Pokes for her routines that don't scream cute when you look at them, like Venusaur, Munchlax, and Blaziken (Dawn seemed to overrely on small, cute, unevolved things, making their wins seem a bit forced at times).

She wanted to become a Coordinator after watching her first Contest, which also made her want to get a Beautifly. She also cried after losing her first Contest and when she lost both Grand Festivals. May also relied mostly on traditionally cute Pokemon for her Contests. Aside from Blaziken, which didn't evolve until near the end of the series, and Beautifly, her Pokemon were unevolved too. She didn't get to have more evolutions of her team until she came back in DP.

Anyway, I really like May and she's still my favorite of the female leads. She had a fun personality that made her memorable and bounced off the other characters pretty well. I liked how she started not being that into Pokemon. It was a unique start for a main character and it allowed for her to find a goal during her journey instead of knowing what she wanted to do from the start. Going from a trainer who didn't care much for Pokemon to a competent Coordinator showed some nice growth on her part too. It also just felt so refreshing to have a more active female lead at the time. Actually having her own version of Gym battles to deal with was really cool and I liked how they handled the Contests in general.

I liked how she interacted with the other characters. Ash worked well as a mentor for her and it was fun to see him teaching someone else how to catch and battle Pokemon after seeing how he started. I really liked her relationship with Max too. Having siblings in the main cast was also a unique idea and could show how caring May could be, as well as how they would fight as siblings, especially at their ages, tend to do. She had some nice interactions with Brock that showed that they were good friends too.

As for her Pokemon, they were pretty good. Most of them didn't have much personality, but her team had a pretty decent balance and they worked well enough. I do agree that she could have benefited from training her Pokemon more often for both appeals and battles. In retrospect, her victories did seem to rely on deus ex machina. To be fair, this was their first series handling Contests and I think that they did learn from that first trial, as shown through Dawn's journey, so I can understand why there would be issues with that. It also probably didn't help that they were putting two Contest journeys in AG. If they had been able to extend the journey in Hoenn to last until the end of the third generation, May probably would have lost another couple of Contests, which would have helped with her journey, and maybe do a bit more training with her Pokemon. I would have liked it if she had kept Bulbasaur for her journey through Kanto too. She had more than enough room in her team, even with getting both Squirtle and Eevee, having two Kanto starters would have been even better promotion for FR/LG and there wasn't a good reason to leave it behind in the first place. It was so cute and it would have been nice to see it get some more screentime. Plus, having it travel with her through Kanto would have made its appearance as Venasaur much less jarring. More evolutions during her run would have been awesome too.

Her rivals were great though. Drew seemed like Gary done right in terms of being able to have the skills to back up his smug confident attitude right off the bat. Plus, he did become more helpful to May and recognized her skills as the series progressed. Their battle in the Kanto Grand Festival was really cool from what I remember. I also really liked Harley. He had a strange yet fun personality that made him entertaining to watch and he could push May's buttons to make their battles more interesting. I also liked the reason for her departure. It makes sense and works as a natural progression of her character. Being a complete rookie and deciding to become a Coordinator along the way, rather than wanting to do that before her journey, would result in her copying Ash's battle style. Leaving to become stronger on her own and develop her own style was a good reason to leave the group. Seeing how her skills had grown during the Wallace Cup was terrific and satisfying. Seeing how her team had changed was cool too. I would have liked to learn where she placed in the Johto Grand Festival though. It's highly unlikely, if not impossible, for her to still be there given that she had three ribbons when she appeared in DP and most likely would have gotten the remaining two at least by the time Dawn got into the Sinnoh Grand Festival. Learning where she's traveling now would be cool too. I could see her traveling to Sinnoh on her own now. Maybe that will come up if R/S remakes come out.

While I think that Dawn is the best written female lead thus far, May is still my favorite one. She had a fun and likable personality, she was unique at the time in terms of why she started her journey, how she found her goal and being a more active female lead, she had memorable interactions with the cast and had pretty solid development. She was a great character and I really enjoyed her presence on the show.

Haruka was the best thing to ever happen to the show. With her came the idea of duel plots, finishing off characters and a strong feminine quest. I love how the show increasingly tried to show that contests were of the same worth as gym battles (only less done).

Doing that is pretty good however, Haruka was an awesome character on top of that. She has a very entertaining personality. She brought in other entertaining characters. I love how we were encouraged to laugh at her, cry with her and be proud of her.

She was a decent companion imo. I liked her team and her personality, and the focus she started getting during the battle frontier. However, I think that her development was too rushed and she got good at contests too fast. I also think that some of her contest wins were cheaply earned. Her appearance in DP was handled great, though. It's probably the best guest appearance we've had so far.

I loved her as a companion, and even though contest isn't my favorite part of Pokemon, she did introduce it nicely. I loved her personality, and how she went from disliking most Pokemon to raising a team of her own. I also thought her personality blended well with Ash's and Brock's.

Now MAX.......was a character we did not need. :p *shot*

She was a good character. I especially enjoyed her interacting with her friends Drew,Harley(not saying he was totally wanted) and Soledad where so fun. Weather Drew angering her cause thought was cute or standing up for May. May having girl time with Soledad or falling for Harley's half baked scheme etc. May bounced well with Ash and Brock as well as having realistic relationship with younger brother Max(not totally necessary but not horrible). I tried to hate her do to Misty being gone anger I couldn't hate May nor could Misty. May just has away about her that makes you like her.

She's my favorite companion, hands down. Lol jk you can think what you want but she's my favorite.
She had spunk, that ditzyness, she was a realistic character. We got that clumsy side of her, that shy side of her, and even her romantic side. (Always saying how Ash never understood love)

She had great development, second best behind Dawn. She started out from not liking to Pokemon to absolutely loving them. Like later on when you hear May tell Combusken "I love you" you would never expect that because she didnt like Pokemon!

We also got to see how she grew over the episodes, and her battling skills were awesome. We started from "Torchic! Start Attacking!" to "Blakiken, mega kick!" and all that jazz. Her contests were really good too and she had that confidence even though she could be scared sometimes. That's what I like about her the best. And she was just ambitious.

Her interactions with Drew and Ash were awesome too. I mean, I ship her with both and she still seems like a perfect girl for both of them, because she treats them like she's always there for them and that she cares no matter what is the situation. that's what I love to see.

Her interactions with Max is realistic. I'm saying that because she's like me and my brother. They both bicker at times, Max always knows what he's doing and May always thinks she knows what she's doing and that's why she and Max made a perfect team.

I also like her attitude towards her rivals, because she sees good in each and one of them. Even Harley, she just has a good soul. She probably is willing to give everyone a chance.

May's appearance in DP was epic, awesome, and really showed that her battling skills were the same, if not even better. She totally took down her opponents except Dawn, obviously it was Dawn's arc.

I also love her design but I'm not a fan of her emerald look. She just should've stayed longer. And I know this isn't on topic, but I LOVED Veronica Taylor voicing her. It suited her age and matched her personality well too. Her JPN VA was pretty awesome too.

May is by far my favorite female companion, I love the fact that she evolved (no pun intended0 as a person and by the end very realistically grew up. i also loved how she helped Ash grow as a person, he got to teach someone how to battle and got to re experience the joy of pokemon (ha that was another unintended pun) throught the eyes of a new trainer who at first did not like pokemon. Its what made moments like them splitting the ribbon and especially when May and him both see HO-OH, really great.

also the fact that she is the reason we got Max is important as Ash constantly being lectured by or amazing Max was really nice to see. granted i did not love the contests but they successfully helped give her something to do that was not the Hoenn league or just sitting around.
Overall I think she was a great companion and the show should definitely bring her back to market Omega ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

One of my favorite characters on this show, and IMO, one of the best developed characters. I mean we saw her grow from being someone who wouldn't give a flip about Pokemon, to someone who's whole passion is dedicated to them. From the very start she seemed like a good character, growing, maturing, etc. Her interactions were just so awesome with everybody, from Ash (the best interactions were between each other IMO), to Drew, to Max, etc. She was also a very realistic character, one who could exist in our world. When she returned in DP, it was the best cameo of any cast member IMO. I wish she could've stayed longer. I also loved her Pokemon too, her Blaziken is my favorite. Her design is also my favorite of all the female companions too.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom