• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

May issue of CoroCoro magazine leaked: Plethora of information revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
May issue of CoroCoro magazine leaked: Plethora of information revealed

A plethora of information regarding Pokémon Black and White Versions 2 has been revealed in leaked photos of pages from CoroCoro Comics magazine. New player characters, NPCs, Gym Leaders, locations, and major changes from Pokémon Black and White like the time difference and Pokédex are only some of the things revealed.

Read more on Bulbanews

I LOVE IT ALL!!! Come on June! Come faster!!

I'm feeling a little...overwhelmed. At least the kid with the 'fro is the rival and not a player character. "Researching strength"...Akuroma sounds like Cheren.

Still no word on Kyurem's typing?

Oh yes, "Lapra" should be "Lapras", BTW.

Last edited:
Still no word on Kyurem's typing?

It's been confirmed that Kyurem will keep its typing while in overdrive.

Aw no, did I miss that?

The female player character has her legs covered for the first time. Sort of, if tights count. This would be due to the encroaching ice cap. So...Unova's like Sinnoh in Platinum.

Last edited:
WOW! Did anyone see any of this coming?

Okay, not a big fan of the new protagonists... The new rival seems interesting though.

2 years in the future? Interesting, seeing as these games are called Black 2 and White 2.

New gym leaders? Again, interesting... I had a feeling that there would be some changes to the gym leaders, but new ones altogether? Wow!

And the region! BIG DIFFERENCE! It looks like most of Unova is covered in ice! And adding a new city? They've never done that before!

I'm excited! I can't wait for these games to come out!

Whoa...

I think Generation 5 wins the "Most Different-y, Generation that Went Against Most of The Established Patterns" Award... or something.
SO MANY DIFFERENT-Y THINGS THAT ARE DIFFERENT. And really cool! I like the new player characters, the new Professor is pretty ultra-modern looking. :) The Unova regions gone through some intriguing changes, I like all this.
Does this mean we're getting a whole new 8 Gym Leaders, or are just 2 or 3 of them changing?? This is gonna be very interesting to play through.
This really makes me excited about the games, but also about where the series is gonna go from here. This is only half-way through Gen 5, so what will Gen 6 bring?!

I also did a double take at the mention of "300 previously seen Pokemon are now found in Unova pre-Nat. Dex." I mean... What? So we'll have about 350 or so Pokemon to choose from to make up our play-through teams this time? Definitely requires a bit more thinking time. :p

But all in all... THIS, GAMEFREAK. This is a step in the right direction, 100% approve, do more of these things!!

I'll admit, I'd been quite pessimistic about B2W2, and until this news I was still just expecting a third version. This shows that it is actually an entirely new game. Happy we actually have some info about them now. Anyway, it seems like this ice is going to be a major plot device, like Mt. Coronet in DPPt.

2 years in the future? Interesting, seeing as these games are called Black 2 and White 2.

It also matches the real-world time difference between the release of BW and B2W2 (in Japan).

I'd like to throw a big thank you out to all the staff who helped get this news out. I was the one in the middle putting everything into an article while being bombarded with information from 4 at once, but Archaic was the one who did the translations (with some done by Umeko), Masatoshi and Sol worked on comparing B2W2 Unova with BW Unova to get all those differences listed in the article, Werdnae helped out by uploading the magazine scans and images of individual characters/locations, and various other staff helped notice other things in the images (like identifying all the non-Unova Pokémon in the scans). These kind of articles require a great deal of work to make sure they are both accurate and complete, so I greatly thank everyone who helped put this together.

The female player character has her legs covered for the first time. Sort of, if tights count. This would be due to the encroaching ice cap. So...Unova's like Sinnoh in Platinum.

However, if we ignore the tights, you know... can that miniskirt get any shorter? (Yes, yes it can, but)

Anyways. 300 added Pokemon in the Dex... so that makes up for like 450? I just hope they really ramped up the rather lacking difficulty though, so there's at least a point in trying to make a team out of sub-par Pokemon. :p

Everyone's wearing tights for some reason. Even the male character. And I'm telling you all, this is a tan line. His feet are white, and notice that the border between the two complexions don't have a solid line dividing it suggesting it just changes and isn't an article of clothing. HOW DOES HE HAVE A TAN LINE LIKE THAT WHEN HE ALWAYS WALKS AROUND SHIRTLESS.

I dare say, combined with the new male characters' hair, Akuroma's hair, and Shizui's tan lines, BW2 may have the worst fashion sense in the history of Pokemon.

Last edited:
Everyone's wearing tights for some reason. Even the male character. And I'm telling you all, this is a tan line. His feet are white, and notice that the border between the two complexions don't have a solid line dividing it suggesting it just changes? HOW DOES HE HAVE A TAN LINE LIKE THAT WHEN HE ALWAYS WALKS AROUND SHIRTLESS.

I dare say, combined with the new male characters' hair, Akuroma's hair, and Shizui's tan lines, BW2 may have the worst fashion sense in the history of Pokemon.

WHAT?! THE HAIR'S BRILLIANT!!!! It's all big and quirky and unusual!

I guess they get points in that we know its actually hair, unlike with Brendan and Thorton. Professor's kind of creepy too.

Does this mean we're getting a whole new 8 Gym Leaders, or are just 2 or 3 of them changing?? This is gonna be very interesting to play through.
Right now it looks like the Striaton brothers and Lenora are no longer Gym Leaders due to their cities being enveloped in ice, and these two new leaders replace them. Also, if Cress is still a leader that would make two Water-type Gym Leaders at once (unacceptable). However, I would guess the other 6 leaders do not change; it will be interesting to see what happens with Iris/Drayden.

Anyway, there is a 99% that Akuroma is a villain. Whether he is Team Plasma or not however...

And 300 more Pokémon in the regional dex is a bit excessive. I mean, bringing it up to 300 I would understand, but adding 300? Not entirely sure how that's going to work. I also wonder if Victini is still #000.

Something else: since now generations do not correspond to timelines, we're going to need to start giving names to our four different time periods.

What does Overdrive do? It seems from the animation that it has something to do with the signatures but I'm not sure. I'm guessing that it eliminates the charge time hopefully.

Anyways, so glad that we finally got Coro Coro and info on BW2 finally. People were losing it when deprived of info.

Anyway, there is a 99% that Akuroma is a villain. Whether he is Team Plasma or not however...
While the prospect is interesting, what makes you so certain? His field of research with regards to latent abilities of pokemon, while seeming to hint at Hidden Abilities, could also play a role in Overdrive status if this was the case.

Something else: since now generations do not correspond to timelines, we're going to need to start giving names to our four different time periods.

Given that no other games correspond to this generation, I don't see how that's a problem DPPt/HgSs at least spans a few months, and Colo/XD spanned 5 years and the events of FrLg and RSE occuring at indeterminate times from each other. If this is truly a sequel, simply calling it the BW era wouldn't cause much of a problem since all the other designations refer to a broader range of time.

Really, we'll only have a problem if Gen VI takes place in between BW and BW2, and another game in Gen VI takes place in RSE time.

I do like how we can no longer make the assumption that all games within a generation are contemporary to each other though.

Right now it looks like the Striaton brothers and Lenora are no longer Gym Leaders due to their cities being enveloped in ice, and these two new leaders replace them. Also, if Cress is still a leader that would make two Water-type Gym Leaders at once (unacceptable). However, I would guess the other 6 leaders do not change; it will be interesting to see what happens with Iris/Drayden.

And 300 more Pokémon in the regional dex is a bit excessive. I mean, bringing it up to 300 I would understand, but adding 300? Not entirely sure how that's going to work. I also wonder if Victini is still #000.

I just call them '96, '99, '10, and '12, since Gen I was modeled after '96 with Gen II being three years after, and I assumed that Gen V (1) kept this tradition. Many people criticized me for speculating that Gen V (1) takes 11 years after Gen II/IV, but the fact that BW2 takes place two years later than BW lends contemporary support to my position.

Also, is anyone else concerned that the player characters appear to be drawn by Yusuke Ohmura instead of Ken Sugimori? I love Ohmura's artwork, but I'm getting very worried that Sugimori is being gradually phased out of doing character artwork completely. :(

While the prospect is interesting, what makes you so certain? His field of research with regards to latent abilities of pokemon, while seeming to hint at Hidden Abilities, could also play a role in Overdrive status if this was the case.
Umeko told me his descriptions carries heavy implications of it; his name contains "aku", Japanese for evil (which Archaic believes is likely part of his name origin); and the fact that he is "mysterious and hard to read", and researching Pokémon strength don't help either. He seems to perfectly fit "mad scientist" quite well.

Given that no other games correspond to this generation, I don't see how that's a problem DPPt/HgSs at least spans a few months, and Colo/XD spanned 5 years and the events of FrLg and RSE occuring at indeterminate times from each other. If this is truly a sequel, simply calling it the BW era wouldn't cause much of a problem since all the other designations refer to a broader range of time.

Really, we'll only have a problem if Gen VI takes place in between BW and BW2, and another game in Gen VI takes place in RSE time.

I do like how we can no longer make the assumption that all games within a generation are contemporary to each other though.
Well, I've always seen the time periods referred to as "Generation I/III", "Generation II/IV" and "Generation V". I've never played Colo or XD, but they break the correspondence to real time (although not being main series games mean they don't invalidate the theory, just can't have it applied to them). I guess if we call the eras "Generation I/III", "Generation II/IV", "Black and White era", and "Black and White 2 era", that works to, but it would be nice to see the fandom come up with some names for them based on significant events at the time.

Analysing all the points that Pokebeach makes.

The games are true sequels, taking place two years after the originals.

This makes me agree with some of the comments above that BW and BW2 are set in 2010 and 2012 respectively.

The Unova region sports new towns, buildings, locations, and Gym Leaders. New subway lines will take you to new places.

Don't think it will be completely new as others have said, maybe only 2 new gyms.

Half of the Unova map is covered by ice for unknown reasons.

*Cough* Kyurem *Cough* This will probably be the post E4 area.

The Pokedex features 300 Pokemon from every generation. So far, Psyduck is #026, Riolu is #033, Metagross is #254, and Eevee is confirmed but has an unknown Dex number.

That is just ridiculous, biggest regional Pokedex ever, also I liked not having Pokemon from the old gens in Unova.

Black Kyurem is confirmed to know Freeze Shock and White Kyurem is confirmed to know Ice Burn.

No surprises there.

There are two new protagonists along with a new rival. The rival has text saying, "Now I'm gonna get angry!" He's the boy with the blue spiky hair. He is your childhood friend.

I was right that he's not a protagonist, was wrong about the guy who is though :p

Homika is a new Poison-type Gym Leader. She's the girl holding the guitar. She is going to be in an episode of the show in June.

We haven't had a poison type leader since Janine. Also interesting she will be in the anime. Ash probably doesn't battle her for a badge then.

Shizui is also a new Gym Leader who uses Water Pokemon. He's the tan guy with the goggles.

Looks a cool guy, bit like an Aussie surfer.

There is a new "mysterious guy" named Akuroma who is studying Pokemon strength. Sometimes he'll help you on your journey. He's the guy with the glasses and white coat.

New regional professor perhaps? As Juniper's home town is now frozen, I assume she's frozen inside. Someone else will have to give you your starters.

You begin your journey in Hiougi City. It is on the map in an area that was previously uninhabited in the original games on the left side of Unova (the southwest side). It features an underwater tunnel made of glass (does it take you to the main region?). The city also sports a Pokemon Center, a Trainer School, and shops.

Isn' this the New Jersey part of New York? Interesting that they are expanding further into other US state.

The magazine points out that there is new construction in the Resort Desert and that there is a new building with red and blue decorations. For the latter it says, "What's it mean?"

A bunch of you are gonna shout at me and be like, its unlikely etc, but the mention of red and blue decorations followed by text actually asking us to speculate on the meaning, leads me to believe it's something to do with Kanto (red and blue) or Hoenn (Ruby and Sapphire)

Wow. I actually like the designs for the PCs and the Rivals to be better than BW....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom