• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mechanic Changes

Yeah, someone suggested GF might make it so some pokemon only showed up as members horde battles (like how there was one sudowoodo hiding in with the orotto in the JP trailer), making it really annoying to catch them, and that sounds all too likely. >.<

I have a feeling this is what they'll do for the rare, 5% encounter chance Pokemon to make them more elusive. It's been confirmed that you can directly attack an individual Pokemon in a horde battle, right? That way, you can take out the others (albeit slowly and painstakingly) and then go for the one you want.

I don't like the "new" EXP Share. The getting exp from caught pokemon is cool though.

Masuda suggests there is no way to know whether a wild encounter will be with a regular pokemon or a horde, so I don't see the similarities at all.

The similarities are that Horde Battles will also take the role of being a separate encounter mechanic that allows you to find rare Pokemon, which is the exact same role that Shaking Grass served in 5th gen.

Was that "perfect IVs in wifi battles" just a rumor or is it actually true?

No & I make the vehicle reversing beeps at the same time. Sad for a 22 year old really but still fun

Seems Sky Battles block Flying-type Pokemon who don't have Flying Animations (pretty much all the first-form early birds, Chatot, Hawlucha, and Doduo and Dodrio), kind of wish if they were using this method to decide they'd let non-Flying Pokemon with Flying Animations enter.

Oh well, here's hoping Sky Battle is improved in Game 3.

I like the change to the Exp.Share item, Makes it less of a pain in the butt to level grind
Also getting experience even when catch a Pokemon is good. (I kinda really did dislike having to forfeit Experience Points when catching a Pokemon)

I like that persistent random overworld weather was added back in. Was a nice change after Gen 5 forgot it.

Now all we need is a game with Weather, Day/Night changes, and seasons all in one because apparently the seasons have little if no role in X/Y. Granted we haven't changed month yet so who knows for sure at this point.
Seems Sky Battles block Flying-type Pokemon who don't have Flying Animations (pretty much all the first-form early birds, Chatot, Hawlucha, and Doduo and Dodrio), kind of wish if they were using this method to decide they'd let non-Flying Pokemon with Flying Animations enter.

That was a pretty big disappointment as well. I was under the impression that flying types and floating pokemon were allowed, not just floating flying-type pokemon.

The sky battles are probably the only trainers I skip although I have a flying pokemon now.

No wonder they actually animated Charizard as flying even though Stadium had it on the ground. Maybe in the future, if they reuse the models, they'll give those Pokemon flying animations as well? Mega Charizard X just looks weird flying.

New berry mechanics observed in Pokémon Y

Ok these are my current observations which may be of interest regarding the growing of berries in Gen VI.

Firstly there are now three types of mulch you can manufacture out of berries using one of two composters in the garden south off Route 7 before the bridge.
Rich Mulch - Mulch to be used in a Berry field. It increases the Berry harvest without the need for particularly diligent care.
Surprise Mulch - Mulch to be used in a Berry field. It causes strange, sudden mutations based on the combination of Berries.
Boost Mulch - Mulch to be used in a Berry field. It increases the Berry harvest that can be grown by diligent watering.

All three types of mulch are produced by a combination of 3 berries (the type of berry isn't particular as such), with the balance being
Rich - 1:1:1 that is 3 different berries
Surprise - 3
Boost - 2:1

I've harvested 3-7 berries per plant seemingly at random without mulch so the actual benefit I can't be sure of as yet.
Growth rate appears to now be set across the board rather than differing (more data required).

The new mechanic that surprised me is hybridization or mutation as it's simply being called. Upon entering my garden I harvested a plant of 4 leppa berries and a single hondew, previously the leppa and a aspear had grown side by side.
When I attempted to leave the garden for the battle chateau after planting a new batch of berries a female scientist entered accosted me over if I owned the property (yes/no - I was honest and said no), where upon she makes note regarding studying mutations and enters the house. At this point I entered cursing planting the Hondew expecting to need the berry on hand, she tells me the mutation occurred due to the plants being side by side and records this in her notebook (can be accessed later by berry type).

Now I cannot recall planting either plant in surprise mulch so I will be doing a new experiment with my remaining berries and seeing what new data I can resolve regarding the crossbreeding mechanics, sorry if this is in the wrong spot but I thought it important to get it up ASAP.

Pokémon X & Y - Breeding Changes

Destiny Knot now transfer sup to a total of 5 parental IV's (random from each parent) if one parent holds this.

I am now going to transfer my near-perfect Dratini (only SAtk is lacking) and have myself very pretty babies.

Wow, seems like that will make IV breeding much easier. I do think they went out of their way to make breeding and EV training accesable to more people. I feel like with this, less people will feel the need to use RNG abuse if and when it becomes possible for X/Y. It just seems like they might be going for that and also make it easier for people that want to get into competitive battling. They've done other good things as well like make it so male Pokemon can pass down Hidden Abilities so more people have access. Game Freak's done many great things this time around.

Wow, seems like that will make IV breeding much easier. I do think they went out of their way to make breeding and EV training accesable to more people. I feel like with this, less people will feel the need to use RNG abuse if and when it becomes possible for X/Y. It just seems like they might be going for that and also make it easier for people that want to get into competitive battling. They've done other good things as well like make it so male Pokemon can pass down Hidden Abilities so more people have access. Game Freak's done many great things this time around.

Yeah it always put me off a bit as it seemed like some really hard graft to breed "good" pokemon. The super training means even my in game pokemon have perfect EV's & it appears it will become easier to get decent IV's on offspring. I may actually start battling online.

"Up to five parental IVs passed from parent to child." It's a risky item, since it is possible for the parents to give low IVs in certain stats to the baby, which can affect the baby's Hidden Power type (if you are breeding for that).

Further updates regarding berry growth rates and mutations, I'll be honest I'm one tired cat after 3 days solid chasing out bugs, weeding and watering.

Mulch produces 3 units per composting which I neglected to mention before.

Rich mulch will bring your max berries upto 10 it seems, at least it's the highest value I've gotten so that's probably a 50% bonus rounded down on the top growth rate it appears. I'll do boost later but I'm wagering it could be as high as 200% given the increased demand note I didn't need to water any of my plants however.

Mutation can occur without surprise mulch, which only raises the chance of it occurring. potential mutations seem low at this point, but I've got to find more berries during my travels and experiment with combinations to improve my data on the combinations.

If anyone else has data to add you'd be saving this insomniac cat a lot of work, even if it's just berry tree locations.

Does anyone remember that trailer for PBR where the environment could be destroyed from an attack? While reading one of the X/Y hub pages on Serebii.net, it is mentioned again but now perfected on the 3DS. Could this make a possible return on the home console games and/or continued in future installments?

Berries in Generation VI

So while playing through Pokemon X, I stumbled upon a mechanic that doesn't seem to be posted anywhere yet (I've looked).
Idk if you've noticed or not but in some battles there are trees behind the opposing Pokemon. If you look closely at these trees you see that there appear to be berries hanging in them.
I'll be honest, I didn't notice at first. Then I was using my Farfetch'd in a battle and after the match I noticed berries on the ground and my character picked them up. So, being curious as I am I investigated the area and found another battle that had a tree in the background and used some of my moves against the defending Pokemon and when I used Air Cutter some berries fell out of the tree. I've obtained tons of berries like this throughout the region.
Also, because I noticed this relatively early on I also noticed that occasionally on other terrain- like in caves or on the beach- there are objects that appear in the same location as the trees do in the grassland terrain. Air Cutter doesn't work on those objects and I haven't had the chance to investigate those further.
Just curious if anyone else has noticed this or stumbled upon answers to the other terrain yet.
Thanks y'all

Back
Top Bottom