• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Medals in X and Y?

Kelleo

Secret Sword of Justice
Reaction score
So, who here liked the medals in B2W2? I sure did! They gave me more of a reason to accomplish a lot of things because I've always loved to collect little things and rewards like these in video games. Because of this, I'd love to see a medal box in X and Y as well!

There should be medals for certain achievements that we didn't get in B2W2 though. Like seeing/capturing a certain number of Pokemon in the Pokedex, for example. I'm surprised we didn't get medals for that, though there are medals for catching all Pokemon of a certain type in the Unova dex. I also like the idea of medals for catching all Pokemon from a certain region. Like a medal for all Kanto Pokemon, a medal for all Johto Pokemon, etc.

And just like each new generation adds new Pokemon, gen 6 should add more medals! There are 255 total right now, if I recall? Then adding 100-150 more at the least should do fine. ^^

Im not crazy about the whole medals thing. It was an ok feature for people that liked to collect all the medals and made for an interesting kind of sidequest to get them all, but I dunno if they will be included in X nad Y, though it might be interesting to see what new medals they add and the criteria for getting them.

But medals are awesome! You were rewarded like for almost every kind of thing you could do in the game, from walking a certain number of steps to beating the league with just one Pokemon! It made me feel more accomplished. x3

Though, it'll be ages before I can attempt any of those Pokemon league medals. lol

I didn't like the medals but I agree they should continue to be in the games. It just adds more depth to the games and adds another thing to do. Though I wish they didn't introduce the concept in the first place.

EDIT: MY favorite Medal was the one about Magikarp Award.

Last edited:
I didnt really find medals all the interesting. A little at the start but then i stopped bothering.

...Huh, I really thought medals would've been popular. I mean, I've seen a lot of Pokemon players say that we need to be better rewarded for certain things, and the medals ARE rewards. And you can show off your favorite medal to other players online! I'd like to be able to show a few more than just one though. Five would be enough.

Perhaps medals are not an interesting enough reward for some people. Atleast not for showing off.

Personally i usually dont bother with achievements ingame unless its something like an mmo where i can get a title or something related to customization. Showy stuff lol.

Yeah they're kinda neat, so why not. It's one of those things that if they include it then that's cool and if they don't, then it won't bother me at all really. It serves as an achievement feature and a lot of games incorporate that kind of thing and lots of people just like accomplishing stuff so yeah, why not.

Perhaps medals are not an interesting enough reward for some people. Atleast not for showing off.

Personally i usually dont bother with achievements ingame unless its something like an mmo where i can get a title or something related to customization. Showy stuff lol.

Yeah, but medals are proof that you've accomplished a lot of neat stuff! I'd certainly want to show off a reward for, say, beating the Champions Tournament in the PWT.

Also, I've begun a list of medals I would add to X and Y provided the proper features are added to the games as well. Here's what I have so far.

List of new Pokemon Medals:

Pokedex Medals (16):
- Newbie Finder: See 50 Pokemon in the regional Pokedex
- Intermediate Finder: See 100 Pokemon in the regional Pokedex
- Master Finder: See all Pokemon in the regional Pokedex
- Newbie Catcher: Obtain 50 different Pokemon
- Novice Catcher: Obtain 200 different Pokemon
- Intermediate Catcher: Obtain 400 different Pokemon
- Expert Catcher: Obtain 600 different Pokemon
- Master Catcher: Obtain all Pokemon
- Kanto Collector: Obtain all Pokemon native to Kanto
- Johto Collector: Obtain all Pokemon native to Johto
- Hoenn Collector: Obtain all Pokemon native to Hoenn
- Sinnoh Collector: Obtain all Pokemon native to Sinnoh
- Unova Collector: Obtain all Pokemon native to Unova
- (Name of XY region) Collector: Obtain all Pokemon native to X and Y's region
- Regional Completionist: Obtain all Pokemon in the regional Pokedex
- National Completionist: Obtain all Pokemon in the National Pokedex

Shiny Pokemon Medals (4):
- Shiny Collector: Obtain five different shiny Pokemon
- Shiny Typist: Obtain a shiny Pokemon of each type (dual types would count toward two types)
- Shiny Hatcher: Hatch a shiny Pokemon from an egg
- Shiny Trading: Trade a shiny Pokemon or get a shiny Pokemon in a trade

Safari Zone Medals (6):
- Safari Newbie: Catch a Pokemon in the Safari Zone for the first time
- Safari Novice: Catch 5 Pokemon in one visit
- Safari Expert: Catch 10 Pokemon in one visit
- Safari Master: Catch all Pokemon available in the Safari Zone (must be caught IN the Safari Zone to count)
- Safari Determinate: Use up all 30 Safari Balls in one visit
- Out of Time: Run out of time in the Safari Zone

Underground Medals (16):
- Newbie Digger: Dig up 5 Spheres
- Novice Digger: Dig up 10 Spheres
- Intermediate Digger: Dig up 25 Spheres
- Expert Digger: Dig up 50 Spheres
- Master Digger: Dig up 100 Spheres
- Rarity Digger: Dig up 5 non-Sphere items
- Rarity Collector: Dig up 10 non-Sphere items
- Sphere Hoarder: Have 50 Spheres on you at one time
- New Secret Base: Make a secret base
- Capture the Flag Champ: Win a game of capture the flag
- Capture the Flag Master: Win capture the flag ten times
- Meeter Greeter: Meet 30 People in the Underground
- Decoration Master: Decorate your secret base with the most items possible
- Sphere Trader: Trade your Spheres for secret base items!
- Fossil Collector: Dig up Pokemon fossils!

Super Contest Medals (11):
- Cool Champ: Win a cool super contest
- Cute Champ: Win a cute super contest
- Smart Champ: Win a smart super contest
- Tough Champ: Win a smart super contest
- Beauty Champ: Win a beauty super contest
- Cool Master: Win a cool super contest at master rank
- Cute Master: Win a cute super contest at master rank
- Smart Master: Win a smart super contest at master rank
- Tough Master: Win a tough super contest at master rank
- Beauty Master: Win a beauty super contest at master rank
- Contest Master: Win all super contests at master rank

Total: 53

I need to come up with 47 more to reach 100, the lowest I would add!

Last edited:
At first I wasn't very keen on the idea of medals in BW2. But they quickly grew on me, and I like to collect them. They've been really fun, and they've been decent rewards for challenging accomplishments. Good for proof.

But would I like them to return in another game? Probably not. While they were fun and interesting, I can't really see myself wanting to do it all over again, especially after how some of them were kind of tedious to earn. And besides, the medals seemed like a little element thing that probably wouldn't have much else use in another game, like how HGSS introduced following Pokemon but did not return in Gen 5.

But would I like them to return in another game? Probably not. While they were fun and interesting, I can't really see myself wanting to do it all over again, especially after how some of them were kind of tedious to earn. And besides, the medals seemed like a little element thing that probably wouldn't have much else use in another game, like how HGSS introduced following Pokemon but did not return in Gen 5.

But Pokemon following you wasn't something you had to actually do things for to accomplish. Medals are rewards that prove you worked for something and you can collect a lot of them. The only thing walking Pokemon is good for is building friendship and that's it. Medals are accomplishments and things to show off and are meant to push you to accomplish more stuff. I find them to have a much better chance of returning any day.

I have a feeling they will have something similar to medals again, but in a different incarnation. That's Game Freak seems to do in these games, they never do the same thing every time, though with popular things they tend to reuse them in a different way, or make something different but similar. For instance, contests became a different kind of contest, which became the pokeathelon, which became pokemon musicals.

If the medals looked different (instead all being gold circles), like how Xbox 360 achievements each looked different, and if they'd reduce the required number for streetpass medals, then I'd really like them. Right now, though, I find them meh/okay

But Pokemon following you wasn't something you had to actually do things for to accomplish. Medals are rewards that prove you worked for something and you can collect a lot of them. The only thing walking Pokemon is good for is building friendship and that's it. Medals are accomplishments and things to show off and are meant to push you to accomplish more stuff. I find them to have a much better chance of returning any day.

Yes they were, but they were still but a little element of sorts to BW2. I don't really expect to see them return, or at least not in the same way, like how NoirGrimoir said.

They definitely added something new to the experience but I felt such a lack of completeness whenever I'd see how much I was lacking in medals, haha. It wouldn't move me if they didn't come back, but I get how they could be a kind of incentive for somebody else.

@Isamu Akai;: Hey, you never know what GameFreak will do now. Nobody expected true sequels either, yet we got B2W2.

We already had true sequels before. GSC were direct sequels to RBY. But I see the point you're making. Even then I still don't expect much of a return.

I think medals were an alright concept. I like the idea of collecting them but I don't go all out to get as many as I can. It's usually just if the medal guy is the there , I'll talk to him to see what medal he might give me. But I haven't really spent alot of time getting a specific medal , I just get what medals come to me. But alot of them seem kind of useless for tribal things like saving the game a number of times or watching tv a number of times. I wouldn't mind medals or some kind of achievement system in these games, but maybe if there weren't so many medals for making minimal achievements (like saving the game 10 times isn't really special why do we need a medal for that? Neither is evolving a Pokemon or walking 1,000 steps or getting a medal for every tribal thing.) But a medal or achievement system would be something neat to have just for the sake of showing off like beating the Pokemon league with only Fire-types.

No medals in X&Y please.

No idea why they were introduced in the first place.

I have a question - how does that guy know how many bins I've looked in? I don't want it to be common knowledge that I rummage through bins.

I may be making a joke but it aids my serious point - It's a feature that constantly reminds you that you're playing a video game - let me immerse myself in the world of Pokemon and leave the achievement to things relevant to Pokemon (Pokedex, the League, Pokeathlon, PWT etc). I could not care less how many steps I've taken. By the time I get to victory road I'm aware that it will have been a lot.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom