• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Media previews of SM

Only read the Digital Spy one that metalpiedmon linked so far, and it's mentioned "Seven Trials", so there's only seven total, and that Work Up is back as a "HM", but I would guess they mean TM.

Only read the Digital Spy one that metalpiedmon linked so far, and it's mentioned "Seven Trials", so there's only seven total, and that Work Up is back as a "HM", but I would guess they mean TM.
I'm willing to bet that was a mistake. Remember when people had the idea there would only be 7 trials because they misheard the girl who said 'island trials' and thought she actually said 'seven trials' ?

I don't know, seven trials just seems way too little.

I don't get why anyone is comparing S/M to Pokemon Go of all things. Surely people can understand the difference between the main series games and an app?

I think it's a matter of simply wanting to catch people's attention due to Pokemon Go's popularity. I agree that it is still weird when Pokemon Go, despite being fairly enjoyable in my opinion, is barely a game, so of course a main series game would be vastly superior to an app, but I guess they want to attract more people to the reviews by including Pokemon Go somewhere.

I also hope that seven is a typo. That seems way too short given the four islands of the Alola and we already have four Captains, or rather five even though we haven't seen their design yet. At least eight would have been fine since the Island Trials are basically the Alola versions of Gyms. I've been kind of hoping for sixteen trials if we got four captains per island. That might be a bit much, but it would help to give the game more content and make up for the lack of traditional Gyms for a lot of players. That wouldn't be a huge problem, but that would be a bit disappointing if there was only seven trials. I guess it would depend on what the trials are about and how long it takes to complete them, but I was expecting at least eight trials. At least the idea of it being a typo is reasonable given how easy it is type seven instead of several.

I've only watched the early Game Explain video preview review, but I do love the new images and these games seem pretty solid right off the bat with all of the praise they've been getting here, so that's great.

I'm hoping it's a typo, because seven seems way too little. I expected eight at least. xD
The article states how you challenge seven/several trials before you are deemed worthy to challenge each island's Kahuna, yes?

Keep in mind that it has been stated, and is even shown on the official site, that before you can face the Kahuna of an island, you need to face the island trials. Not only that, but you need to defeat the Kahuna of that island BEFORE you can travel to the next island.

The final trial on each island is called the grand trial. It is a Pokémon battle against the kahuna who leads that island. If a trial-goer succeeds in clearing this grand trial, he or she will be publicly recognized as having cleared all of the island’s trials and can move on to the next island.

So there are more than seven trials.

Of course, it could even both that both are correct - Nintendo Insider may have mistyped "several" as "seven," but there could still be only seven, as Digital Spy could be saying that of their own accord, rather than making a typo themselves.

Just a possibility.

perhaps HMs and TMs were retconned to be the same? the only major difference between the by Gen VI was that most TMs didn't have any out-of-battle use, so perhaps they reduced clutter?

On the topic of the reviews themselves, I have to say that there's not really anything in them that I wasn't already assuming to be the case. All lines up with my expectations. Well, aside from Refresh being prompted at the end of battles, which sounds like it might get slightly annoying after a while. To me at least, since I staunchly refuse to indulge in Amie bonuses. I guess my party is going to have to stay filthy and unkempt. :p

Wow, all of those reviews just added to my hype.

A couple of them like Eurogamer and Nintendo Insider mentioned that PokeRefresh will open automatically after finishing a battle which I am so happy for. Idk why, but ever since it was announced I felt like I'd forget to use it after battle, but hearing that it pops up automatically is nice to here. Though I can see some who don't like it being annoyed by it. Hopefully there will be some sort of option to turn it off.

Nintendo Insider had the best review for me. The cutscene with starter sounds adorable, they revealed (if it wasn't already) that Wingull is available early on, and as some have speculated, the first few parts of the game progress over a period of days. It all sounds so nice.

Man I can't wait for November:)

Hopefully this automatic Refresh opening can be toggled off like automatic saving and switch mode.

You need to press y to enter that mode immediately after battle so it won't be that annoying.

the player having more chance to interact with their Pokémon than ever before through features such as Pokémon Refresh. After scraps with wild Pokémon or rival Trainers, you can tap the Y button to enter this straight away.

Some interesting stuff from the previews:
  • Although what also struck us is that nothing in the game is in 3D, not even the battles. (Metro)
  • Having once battled the Indigo Gym Leaders while researching Pokémon moves in the Kanto region, Kukui continues his work at home in the Alola region. (Nintendo Insider)
  • After scraps with wild Pokémon or rival Trainers, you can tap the Y button to enter this (Pokémon Refresh) straight away. (Nintendo Insider)
  • The early events in Sun and Moon take place over several days, with the player returning home as night transitions to day. (Nintendo Insider)
  • For example we had to fight through a cave with various Yungoos hiding in specific holes, a sudden appearance of the delightfully ridiculous Team Skull, and then take on a giant Gumshoos. (Nintendo Life)
  • What's interesting about this is that the game doesn't repeatedly acknowledge that these (Alola Forms) are different to the standard affair, instead an Alolan Meowth, for example, will just be referred to as 'Meowth'. (Nintendo Life)
  • But it also opens with a full-on cutscene that feels unlike anything the Pokemon series has ever really attempted before. I’m forbidden from discussing details of the scene, but it seems to drop a lot of mysterious hints at a larger plot than ‘become a Pokemon Master’. (VG247)
  • Likewise, encountering a rival trainer in the field is now more thrilling than ever. As you get closer to their line of sight, the music dims and the edge of screen darkens to highlight the trainer in question, making each meeting much more of an event than previous titles. (Expert Reviews)
  • In two hours with the game, I encountered only one critter that I hadn't already seen on Twitter. (Pocketgamer)
  • Monsters you remember from Red or Gold or Ruby have been reinvented to suit the Alolan environment. (Pocketgamer)
  • The only ones (Alola Forms) I saw in my playthrough were a nasty black Rattata with a moustache, a fa-bu-lous Meowth who is way too chill to be fighting, and another I'm not allowed to talk about. (Pocketgamer).
  • Pokémon are even a bigger part of the story too, and it's not just that a chubby Snorlax has fallen asleep in the road this time. We're not going to spoil anything for you here, but be prepared for a few surprises even in the opening hours of the game. (Digital Spy)
  • Well, we got the first HM and it isn't Cut, it's Work Up. (Digital Spy)
The bolded ones are interesting, but I'm gonna assume they are both simply mistakes. Pocketgamer probably just thinks older mons from all gens are getting Alola Forms and doesn't realise that only Kanto ones have been shown so far. And it could be that Digital Spy is just confused with TM's.

Although what also struck us is that nothing in the game is in 3D, not even the battles. (Metro)

It won't be missed.

Having once battled the Indigo Gym Leaders while researching Pokémon moves in the Kanto region, Kukui continues his work at home in the Alola region. (Nintendo Insider)

lol, yet more Kanto. I think one of these previews also said that our player character moved to Alola from Kanto.

Edit: Ah, here it is, from the Nintendo Insider preview - "Unsurprisingly jetlagged after your long flight from the Kanto region, Meowth discovers you conked out on your bed and unresponsive to its playful purring."

• But it also opens with a full-on cutscene that feels unlike anything the Pokemon series has ever really attempted before. I’m forbidden from discussing details of the scene, but it seems to drop a lot of mysterious hints at a larger plot than ‘become a Pokemon Master’. (VG247)
This either has something to do with Ultra Beasts or the player character meeting Tapu Koko.

We know that some time early in the game the player character meets Tapu Koko, so perhaps there is a cutscene of us meeting the guardian.

Of course, it could even both that both are correct - Nintendo Insider may have mistyped "several" as "seven," but there could still be only seven, as Digital Spy could be saying that of their own accord, rather than making a typo themselves.

Just a possibility.

Aren't three of the trial captains we know about pretty much confirmed to be on Akala island though? (Mallow, Lana, Kiawe) Sophocles is also highly speculated to be on Akala island as well.

That would leave only three more trials for the other three islands. I'm not buying that one bit.

• Monsters you remember from Red or Gold or Ruby have been reinvented to suit the Alolan environment. (Pocketgamer)

I suppose it's possible there are a good chunk of Alolan forms left and a lot of the remaining ones are 2nd and 3rd gen Pokemon. I guess it would make the most sense to reinvent the oldies.

Maybe they're intentionally misleading us...it's certainly something that has crossed my mind.

Then again you'd think if Alolan Johto or Hoenn Pokemon had appeared more websites would be mentioning it.....or maybe they're not supposed to mention it.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom