• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Charizard X has been announced: Has the new Ability Tough Claws

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Mega Charizard X has been announced: Has the new Ability Tough Claws

It has been announced that Charizard can Mega Evolve into one of two forms. Mega Charizard Y is a Fire/Flying-type Pokémon with the Ability Drought. Mega Charizard X is a Fire/Dragon-type Pokémon with the new Ability Tough Claws.

Read more on Bulbanews

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Mega Charizard X has been announced: Has the new Ability Tough Claw

Wow this was not needed at all, though I guess we all know which Charizard will be used in competitive battles now.

So Mega Charizard X is for those who wish to specialize their Charizard in physical attack power, while Mega Charizard Y is for those who wish to use it for special attack. Plus, the X-version changes it to Fire/Dragon (fulfilling many fans' wishes in the process), but also neutralizing the Dragon type's natural weakness to Fairy-type attacks thanks to the fire-type.

I first saw this on a small Pokemon website and I thought somebody was just trying to be a troll, so I checked Serebii. I can't say I'm displeased with this since Mega Charizard Y was pretty disappointing, in my opinion. This one has a much better design and typing. I'm now intrigued by the fact that Game Freak is ok with changing typings completely for Mega Evolutions rather than just adding new types.

Well, This was totally unexpected. I like it (since I preordered Pokemon X :3) but surprised.
The Charizard fans FINALLY got their wish.

I guess the big question now is if the other starters will receive another Mega. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a Charizard-specific situation. Among the first generation starters I mean, we already have this for Mewtwo.

I hope we're not getting all Mega Evolutions as version-exclusive stuff. I was already unhappy with them, so two for each Pokémon is just disastrous to me. But on the other side, giving a preference to Charizard is unfair to the other starters. Sigh...

Love it, Mega Charizard X > Mega Charizard Y.

Wow, this is pretty sick. I love the design of Charizard X. Could be another reveal that were getting two mega forms of each mega evo Pokemon.

I didn't expect this at all, wow. How can they keep surprising me like this? Shame, I really prefer Y over X, though. :(

Charizard finally gets a Dragon type!!!!! The fandom's wishes have come true!

I'll be frank
i saw this coming a long time ago. Notice how the mega pokemon are either shaped in an X or Y way.

And the other Kanto starters don't get alternate Mega formes?

Well, if there was any doubt before that Charizard was popular, that's all gone now.

I'll be frank
i saw this coming a long time ago. Notice how the mega pokemon are either shaped in an X or Y way.
I've also seen that most Mega Pokémon have either red or blue eyes like the logos of X and Y. Mega Charizard X has red eyes and Mega Charizard Y has blue eyes but Mega Mewtwo X has blue eyes and Mega Mewtwo Y has red eyes. This might mean that the yet to be revealed Mega Blastoise and Mega Venusaur evolutions could be exclusive to Y version with blue eyes since the currently known Kanto Starter Mega evolutions have red eyes like Mega Charizard X.

This kind of feels wrong (feels too much like Digimon). Its just weird, giving a "mega" ,AKA ultimate forme, a further upgrade. The other Kanto starters should be getting Mega Variable forms too, otherwise Charzard with be so overrated, the word will end!:boom: Also, Isn't there a game called Mega Man X?

I don't care what anybody says. I love the new forms of Charizard! They look really cool to me.

However, I do think it's kind of lame to make them version exclusives and I sort of have to agree this addition was a little unnecessary, regardless of how cool he looks. It's like they are baiting people to buy both games and they just had to use one of the more popular starter Pokemon to accomplish that. I wish they would stop milking older Pokemon and focus on the Pokemon that are new, but a business is a business. They not only want the money of new fans but older fans alike.

You know, since the megastones are items that can be held, you think that, for example, the x stone can be traded over to the Y version and vice versa?

Aww, man. I was going to add in the discussion for Charizard's article a request to add in the trivia that as Mega Charizard X, it is the second Pokémon to have Fire/Dragon as its type after Reshiram. But editing has been blocked on all articles until further notice.

Reshiram called, it wants its blue flames back....

I still like the look of Mega Charizard Y better, but the Fire/Dragon typing at least gives Charizard some protection against Rock (no Flying) and Water (though Charizard Y also has protection against Water via Drought), and added protection against Electric. Do hope Mega stones will be tradable items though....

Hey, if Mega Charizard X is black by default, what is its shiny color?

It does appear that if a Pokemon has two Mega forms, one may be physical and the other special -- this is the case with both Mewtwo and Charizard. If Lucario or Absol also have two, the Mega forms we already know are probably the X forms (given how Mewtwo X and Charizard X are both physically oriented).

Also note that the first image of Mega Charizard X was taken during a Sky Battle. Oh, I can totally see it now: Sky battle between Mega Charizard X and Mega Charizard Y!

Mega Charizard Y used Earthquake! It's super effective!

(Wait, what?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom