• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Charizard X vs Mega Charizard Y

Mega Charizard X or Y?

• Mega Charizard X

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Mega Charizard Y

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters
So, I really think that Game Freak has made an outstanding job with Charizard, since both of its Mega Evolutions are both very different but also very useful too, which is a very difficult balance to make.

This. We should be somewhat grateful that we can make these kinds of debates in the first place. It's not like one Zard is completely underused and overlooked like some other megas, making one version inferior to the other. It's great that there are two different playstyles you can approach with Charizard, both being two of the best megas in the OU metagame.

I play PS! very often (As I don't/can't play X/Y) so, I think CharizardX is better. Think of a battle between X and Y, and I immediately think:-
Charizard (Y) uses fire blast!
Charizard (X) loses 30% then I see CharY getting hit by rock slide. Yeah...

(Quick question, why on PS! do I see charizard without a mega stone?)

(Quick question, why on PS! do I see charizard without a mega stone?)

You should only rarely see that. I believe only 1% of Charizards aren't holding a Mega stone. Its a team preview thing. Gets you thinking "Ok his Mega is Charizard." But when he brings out Heracross and Mega's with it he thinks its surprising you.

I don't battle competitively but in the battles I partake in which involve no substitution. Charizard Y easily wins.

X, is bulkier Defensively but Special Defense is the same and can shot down easily by moves like Dragon Pulse (which many Pokemon are knowing nowadays), even Water type moves will still do quite a bit of damage damage even though it is part Dragon.

Y, is a Special Dominater. The ability makes its Fire moves extremely deadly with its super increased Special Attack, Water moves won't effect him much and can get rid of his Rock and Water weakness with Solarbeam which doesn't need charging. Making Electric type moves (especially Physical Electric moves) its only threat.

Also if they were in a head to head fight, I can see Charizard Y winning because it can use a Super-effective Dragon Pulse.

EDIT: I however maybe a bit biased because I can't stand Xs design since it is just normal Charizard (which I hated to begin with) but in a different colour and spikes. While Y completely changed me with a more slimmer and aerodynamic approach.

I don't battle competitively but in the battles I partake in which involve no substitution. Charizard Y easily wins.

X, is bulkier Defensively but Special Defense is the same and can shot down easily by moves like Dragon Pulse (which many Pokemon are knowing nowadays), even Water type moves will still do quite a bit of damage damage even though it is part Dragon.

Y, is a Special Dominater. The ability makes its Fire moves extremely deadly with its super increased Special Attack, Water moves won't effect him much and can get rid of his Rock and Water weakness with Solarbeam which doesn't need charging. Making Electric type moves (especially Physical Electric moves) its only threat.

Also if they were in a head to head fight, I can see Charizard Y winning because it can use a Super-effective Dragon Pulse.

EDIT: I however maybe a bit biased because I can't stand Xs design since it is just normal Charizard (which I hated to begin with) but in a different colour and spikes. While Y completely changed me with a more slimmer and aerodynamic approach.

If it's who would win in a fight, there's literally no question. 252 Timid Y DPulse never OHKOes 4/0 CharX (and that's not even the supremely better bulky set), so X can just set up a DDance and OHKO with DClaw.

Yeah...no...Charizard X isn't going to be OHKOed by Dragon Pulse, considering that Charizard Y fails to OHKO many dragons with Dragon Pulse in one hit, if anything the standard outcome for this is Charizard X dragon dances on the first turn, takes a dragon pulse, and one shots Charizard Y with a Dragon Claw on the next turn or stays a regular Charizard the first turn, takes the dragon pulse, Mega evolves, and one shots Y with Dragon Claw on the next turn.

Why would a Mega Charizard Y run Dragon Pulse when there are much better things to put in the fourth moveslot? o_O

Why would a Mega Charizard Y run Dragon Pulse when there are much better things to put in the fourth moveslot? o_O

Ran one with D-Pulse in the 1v1 Mega Tourney (because you don't run status moves in 1v1). But yeah Roost is much better to run but then again, lack of defenses so its not always worth going with something that will get M-Charizard Y KO'd. Makes more sense to have a 4 Attack M-Char Y than just throwing Roost or a boosting move.

That's a semi good point considering the standard is Fire Blast/Solar Beam/Focus Blast/Roost, but the Smogon analysis does have DPulse as a slash, reasoning being that it's CharY's best chance to hit CharX (ofc the KO requires Rocks, as we just talked about, so in a 1v1 with no rocks on either side X wins), Dragonite, and Latios.

Latios will usually outspeed YZard, so the Dragon Pulse will only be the chance to hit if it is a hit on the switch (although, I admit, Latios do often try and switch into a YZard, even though Fire Blast and Air Slash both still hurt a lot)
And Latias, which I usually see as defensive, might not even be 3HKOed by Dragon Pulse
Although whatever I've tried running on YZard for the 4th moveslot (namely, Roost, EQ, and Focus Blast, plus I didn't try it out with WoW, which I have also seen) turns out to be pretty situational, so I don't think there's much point trying to figure out which is better without the context. And by "context" I mean the rest of the team the YZard is on :D

From what I looked up. Ys Dragon Pulse is 85 Power while Xs Dragon Claw is 80 Power. Dragon Pulse plus Super Effective damage makes the power 170 while Dragon Dance/Dragon Claw/Tough Claws combo is 207.6 power BUT then when you compare Ys 159 Sp.Attack to Xs 85 Sp.Defense and then Xs 130 Attack to Ys 78 Defense. Y still looks to out power X a bit.

Also they have the same speed on the first turn. So it kind of depends on what ever it depends on. I was taken that they Mega Evolved on the first turn.

On another note: I would personally choose Dragon Pulse over Focus Blast because I like 100 accuracy over 70.

Last edited:
Dragon Claw is boosted to 120 Power and Flare Blitz is boosted to 180 Power for Charizard X, because of the Mega Evolution's ability Tough Claws. Combine that with Dragon and Fire STAB and Dragon Dance, and you have a Mega Evolution that can rip holes through entire teams.

Also Charizard X can last longer against rocks in general than Y.

I'm taken them in 1 on 1 battles and in my equation for Dragon Claws power I did put Tough Claws to account. Also, there is a chance, Xs rock move can miss.

I'm taken them in 1 on 1 battles and in my equation for Dragon Claws power I did put Tough Claws to account. Also, there is a chance, Xs rock move can miss.

None of that stuff matters, you're just looking at numbers and guessing. If you actually calc it, like I did, you'll see that Y DPulse never OHKOes, so X can get up a DDance and is guaranteed to outspeed and OHKO next turn.

Mega Charizard Y for me. I'm not much of a competitive battler, but a boost to the Special based Fire type moves Charizard gets is always a bonus. Mega Charizard X is pretty cool too though.

None of that stuff matters, you're just looking at numbers and guessing. If you actually calc it, like I did, you'll see that Y DPulse never OHKOes, so X can get up a DDance and is guaranteed to outspeed and OHKO next turn.
Guessing??? I was Calculating.

Charizard Xs Dragon Claw = 80 (Power) times 2.33 (1.33 for Tough Claws, 1.5 each for STAB and Dragon Dance) which is 186.4.
Charizard Ys Dragon Pulse = 85 (Power) times 2 (for Super Effective damage) which is 170.

Dragon Claw has more Power but Charizard Ys Sp. Attack compared to Charizard Xs Sp. Defense is more spread out (Showing them at Lv.50 with 252 EV and 31 IV for each, so it'll be a little bit inaccurate):
Charizard Y: 232 Sp. Attack
Charizard X: 150 Sp. Defense
82 stat difference

Charizard X: 200 Attack
Charizard Y: 143 Defense
57 stat difference

Sure Y won't be able to OHKO X but X won't be able to either and it'll give Y an extra Dragon Pulse turn due to the need of Dragon Dance from X on the first turn.

Last edited:
@White Yoshi; One factor was forgotten - Dragon Dance also boosts speed by 50%
A Charizard at 150% speed will always outspeed a Charizard at 100% speed

Therefore:
Turn 1: (X)Zard Dragon Dances / (Y)Zard Mega Evolves and hits with a Dragon Pulse and does not KO
Turn 2: (X)Zard Mega Evolves, outspeeds, and hits with a Dragon Claw / YZard faints

Y has only one Dragon Pulse, because a DDance allows X to outspeed a Y on Turn 2 and KO it

@Alexey Yeah, true but the reason why I didn't was count that because X still won't be able to OHKO Y on the second turn from what I got.

I feel like the only way to decide this, is to do the battle ourselves as an experiment but my Charizard doesn't have perfect IVs.

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 234-276 (78.5 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 351-414 (117.7 - 138.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
--------
We can also quickly battle on Showdown, there's no need to breed a perfect IV Charizard on cartridge for that

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 234-276 (78.5 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 351-414 (117.7 - 138.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
--------
We can also quickly battle on Showdown, there's no need to breed a perfect IV Charizard on cartridge for that

I don't have Showdown but I see where you are looking. X would then OHKO Y there. I was taking to account Y had 252 Sp. Attack and 252 Defense while X had 252 Attack and 252 Sp. Defense because X would outrun it with Dragon Dance on the second turn anyway so there was no point of 252 Speed

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom