• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Mega Charizard: X vs. Y

Stratelier

Reaction score
Who do you like better?
Who would win in a fight?
Who would you rather have on your team?

Here's a quick objective breakdown of the two:

Mega Charizard X
Mega_Charizard_X-X-and-Y.jpg
- Exclusive to Pokemon X
- New color scheme: black with blue flames. (Shiny color: green)
- Fire/Dragon typing (compare Reshiram). Compared to regular Charizard's Fire/Flying type, X loses the vulnerability to Water and Electric, and is less vulnerable to Rock, but also loses the immunity to Ground and, of course, is now vulnerable to Dragon. Does NOT become vulnerable to Fairy (Fire resists Fairy).
- Boosted physical Attack score. "Tough Claws" ability further boosts all moves that make contact.
- Still eligible for Sky Battles.

Mega Charizard Y
Mega_Charizard-X-and-Y.jpg
- Exclusive to Pokemon Y
- Still Fire/Flying.
- Boosted Special Attack score.
- Comes with Drought and everything it entails (protection against Water, Sunnybeams, etc.)

Last edited:
X. Infinitely cooler, and the dragon is finally a Dragon.

I always wanted my Charizard to be JUST a flying lizard, with a FLYING specialty. Y form looks like exactly that, so I like it. I do understand that /some/ people have been screaming chaotically about Charizard being a dragon since like 2001, though, so it's probably best to finally give these people what they want as an option as well.

Charizard Y Master Race! It has better stats, looks cooler, and it has Drought.

Wasn't really keen on Y in the first place, X is just amazing.

For me, now that it's revealed Charizard's forms are version exclusive, this seals the deal on which version I'll be getting. No regrets about that $1 reservation card now.

X, definitely. The Y version is really cool too, but X is just wow. I never thought I'd say this, but I want to train a Charizard now. :p

I'm gonna go with Mega Charizard Y, because I prefer that design better. But I do like the new typing of Mega Charizard X!

I prefer the Y version. Looks more "mega" and more true to the real Charizard. Looks better in the 3D model too.
X seems "fan-pandering-ish", though the color scheme is cool, it seems out of place with the other megas since they didn't get a complete color scheme change. The mouth fire and shoulder teeth look weird. The mouth fire looks terrible in the 3D model. If it was the regular Charizard colors I don't think it would be liked as much.
Y also has Drought.

Me I think X's mouth flames may be a tribute to the 'whiskers' of Eastern dragons.

I'm going with Y. It actually looks like a Mega Evolved Charizard to me. Not too many changes and closely resembles the original, but with a few additions to make it look more powerful. Mega Charizard X in my opinion looks too overdesigned. The black body, blue flames, weird as hell wings, and weird spikes on the arms are just too much for me. If I looked at it from afar, I probably wouldn't even recognize that it's related to Charizard. Not to mention that it did what I never wanted to happen to Chaizard and made it a dragon-type. While I still like Mega Charizard X and think it's totally awesome (it killed in Origins), Mega Charizard Y just looks more natural to me.

While I like both, I think I prefer MegaCharizardX. He just looks like a total badass with his shiny body color and blue flames. Being part Dragon also makes him that much cooler. I also like his physical design just a bit better. I prefer his two longer horns rather than the third one in the middle on Y's design and he still has a concrete "hand" going on.

X

I've waited a long time for Charizard to be made a Dragon-type, and it's design is better than Y's.

X all day. That thing actually made me like Charizard which means a lot, because I could not stand that thing.

I just have a thing for black and blue. When it comes to a fight however, I'd go with Y winning. Same speed, better attacking stat.

Last edited:
In terms of design Y is better. Mega Charizard X is cool, but I think it distances itself way too much from its base form when compared to most Mega Pokémon while Y managed to look cool without overdesigning it. I love the fact he is a dragon type and the blue flames, but it just doesn't win in overall terms.
I agree, however, X has the upperhand from a battling standpoint. Y's ability would end up ramping up X's fire attacks as well. By the way, weather changes got a nerf recently and Y keeps its 4x weakness against rock attacks.
Despite that, I would prefer Mega Charizard Y in my team.

I traded for the X Megastone, bred an attack based Charmander, and after using both in battle, I still prefer Y. Y's 3D model has better animation, has a much cooler roar/cry, and I love its Drought, even if it lasts only 5 turns. I love going against Water types and OHKOing them with Solarbeam. The X animation just kinda floats and Y actually flaps its wings.

X has its advantages in typing but it doesn't do much my MoxieMence can't do. So I'll be using Y a lot more. And my YZard is shiny! It's a nice purplish black. Looks super cool.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom