• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Mega Charizard: X vs. Y

I love 'em both.

X brings out Charizard's untapped brute strength with sweet delicious fan service to go with it. I love the blue flames, the long awaited dragon typing, the edge, and the Tough Claws ability is a-lot of fun to play around with. Just an all around menace.

Y focuses more on that natural Fire/Flying typing, making it more aerodynamic and almost like some kind of wyvern...Or Yvern, hurrdurr. Its fairly majestic, and Drought is suits it well.

Last edited:
Mega Charizard Y. And in my opinion Mega Charizard Y design should have been the normal Charizard design.
My opinion has not changed and i actually despise Mega Charizard X now.

They tried WAY too hard to make the X mega evolution look cool and they completely failed, the thing is a mess. The dragon typing the X mega evolution has was clearly fanservice because of all the years people complaining about Charizard looking like a dragon, but not having a dragon typing.

Mega Charizard Y actually fixes an issue i have with regular Charizard: regular Charizard looks fat. Mega Charizard Y has nice, sleek, aerodynamic design and it's a massive improvement over the regular form and it's miles better than the X mega to me.

I never really cared for either. They were two of the worst damn cards in the TCG. Hell, Jungle Victreebel was a better card.

Y, for most of the reasons already listed. X is waaay 2edgy4me, barely resembles Charizard, and is obviously just there for pandering. Meanwhile, Y stays true to Charizard's roots, improves on its already-badass design, and lets it finally beat Blastoise.

Y just looks like Charizard, but with arm blades. X is the best, and Y just plain stinks. Also, does anyone care that X does 300 DAMAGE in the tgc? I know not everybody plays that, but that is too overpowered to ignore.

Last edited:
I like X better, the design and color change is really cool. However, I think Y is more useful in the game.

Y, X really felt like it tried too hard to be cool and personally, it fell completely flat in that area. I also don't care at all about its typing, so it being a Dragon did little for me. Y felt like a natural progression with Charizard without completely losing its original design, allowing it to be a great Mega design for the Pokémon.

Am I the only one who thinks Y looks a bit less like base Charizard?

X's body structure seems a-lot closer to me, between the stout build, the shape of its arms/claws, and the horn structure. The fierce expression makes me think of Charizard sooner than Y too, since it was always known for being a Pokemon who liked to fight. I never once thought of Charizard as something graceful, so Y's reveal was jarring at first. It doesn't have any of the "GGRRRR" elements from the original, since it centralizing the Flying aspects and Special attacks. It looks less...Tough.

It was only after X came out with all the parts that Y doesn't have that I really started to like them both, since they both sorta focus on one aspect of Charizard or the other.

Am I the only one who thinks Y looks a bit less like base Charizard?

X's body structure seems a-lot closer to me, between the stout build, the shape of its arms/claws, and the horn structure. The fierce expression makes me think of Charizard sooner than Y too, since it was always known for being a Pokemon who liked to fight. I never once thought of Charizard as something graceful, so Y's reveal was jarring at first. It doesn't have any of the "GGRRRR" elements from the original, since it centralizing the Flying aspects and Special attacks. It looks less...Tough.

It was only after X came out with all the parts that Y doesn't have that I really started to like them both, since they both sorta focus on one aspect of Charizard or the other.

Really? Whenever Iris would release Dragonite and Ash would release Charizard, I always thought Charizard looked much more graceful. Although, it kind of looks fat. So does X, but I voted for it anyway.

Also, does anyone care that X does 300 DAMAGE in the tgc? I know not everybody plays that, but that is too overpowered to ignore.

But that card will lead you to a deck out before you can say "Durant Mill". Plus, powering up that card is a pain in the ass. A good card can knock Mega Charizard out before it even gets the chance to attack. The fact that it's a Mega further hinders it, since it takes as long as a Stage 2 to get onto the field, and there isn't even a card like Rare Candy to help speed it up. Mega Charizard X is simply an unplayable card.

Also, does anyone care that X does 300 DAMAGE in the tgc? I know not everybody plays that, but that is too overpowered to ignore.
So does MCharizard Y. Except that Y doesn't require two colors of energy, is eligible for Blacksmith supporter, and the 50 recoil damage caused by its attack (Crimson Dive, was it?) is easily blocked by attaching a Protection Cube.

So does MCharizard Y. Except that Y doesn't require two colors of energy, is eligible for Blacksmith supporter, and the 50 recoil damage caused by its attack (Crimson Dive, was it?) is easily blocked by attaching a Protection Cube.

It's still a bad card due to the slowness of getting it onto the field and charging it. The only stage 2/Mega Evolution (they take about the same amount of time to get on the field) that is currently viable is Flashfire Shiftry iirc, and he benefits from Rare Candy.

It's still a bad card due to the slowness of getting it onto the field and charging it. The only stage 2/Mega Evolution (they take about the same amount of time to get on the field) that is currently viable is Flashfire Shiftry iirc, and he benefits from Rare Candy.

Yeah. What he said!

I see X get a lot of crap, but I do think it's actually fairly cool -- it's my favorite of the two. Y is kinda boring but it's alright. Both are miles better than ugly-ass vanilla charizard.

I prefer Y over X for a few reasons.

1. Typing stays the same, meaning I can use it on my VGC Doubles team both mega evolved and not, with all offensive moves getting STAB. I can deck it out with the flying and fire moves I want, and not have to worry about packing a Dragon move to make use of the Mega Evolved form. This way, if I don't want to Mega Evolve, I can still play it the same way (kinda). Yes, I know that there are many ways to play M-Charizard, and a lot of people would like to comment and debate this reason, but for how I like to play Charizard, Dragon typing doesn't work.

2. It gets rid of sand and rain. I HATE weather teams with a fiery passion, and Tyranitar pisses me off to no end with Sand. At least if I find myself against weather, I can get rid of it.

3. The design, to me, is sleeker. I like the colours of X, but I can fix that on my Y by breeding a shiny Charmander.

4. The most petty of all reasons: During the XY run, Charizard X got ALL the attention. Count me among the few, but I prefer to root for the one NOT in the spotlight. I know Y is starting to get publicity now, but it's almost like they're trying to say "Oh, hey, this one's important too guys".

In terms of designs, I appreciate Mega Charizard Y much more because 1: it's the first of the two that was revealed, and it actually looks like a proper evolution of Charizard, and 2: Mega Charizard X's extremely different color palette just makes it look more like your typical bad fan OC in comparison that doesn't actually change too much from Charizard since it relies too much on the coloration to look different.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom