• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega charizard X was given special treatment

Keshav

Reaction score
I think that mega charizard X received special treatment. First, he was shown in Pokemon Origins. After that he was shown in mega evolution specials. There is more, he was then featured in XY and Z and he was the one to defeat Ash greninja. Mega charziard Y was unknown in the anime until Trevor came just to glorify X.
One similarity is there between Alain and Red's charziard.....they were both too OP by the end of series. You all know what Alain did and Red's charziard defeated a mewtwo and now people will say mewtwo was damaged but if you rewatch the battle, nobody really did high damage to it. Also, his charziard defeated the champion's blastoise while blastoise had a type advantage.
So, what do you guys think?

Red's Mega Charizard X hardly appeared and Red battled a lot of Pokemon before he battled Mewtwo, so I hardly think that makes his Charizard overpowered. That means that the only one that appeared a lot was Alain's and the writers had a choice out of Mega Charizard X or Mega Charizard Y, so just because they chose to use the former, I don't see how that means that it was given special treatment. And as for Alain's one being overpowered, well, maybe, but we haven't seen how many Pokemon Alain has battled with his Charizard, so its strength may not be overpowered.

It's so obviously the poster child for Mega Evolution as a whole.

Agreed, Mega Charizard X was definitely pegged to be a poster boy, even likely before Origins came out. Within the first few months (October-April), the Mega had gotten Origins, the Mega Evolution specials, and Smash (it appeared in the trailer in April) at the very least of its early promotion, all three of which were likely planned before XY's release in October. Ever since then, that promotion has continued in full force and there's really no place where Mega Evolution is present that you wouldn't be able to see Mega Charizard X prominently featured. Hell, even in Super Mystery Dungeon, which had Y on the cover (and of which was basically it's only notable appearance away from X), X was featured far more in the commercials and the like ahead of the majority of Megas.

So yeah, Mega Charizard X was made from the get-go to be special. It had all of the promotion set for it from the beginning and they never stop pushing it after that, even when other Megas were pining for even a sliver of the same spotlight. It does kind of make sense since its Charizard and that Pokémon is always going to sell, but the amount of attention it gets is still very lopsided in its favor.

Alain's Mega Charizard X was made to be overpowering so the viewers would know that Alain is trying to be the strongest and never to lose again. Did they went a bit overboard? Maybe but in the end Alain and his Charizard was created to be a powerful force in the show. As for Red, that was based on the game version who starts out his journey in Kanto and complete the pokedex while collecting gym battles and becoming champion. Giovanni in the Origins had brutally defeated Red in Siph Co so Red is far from overpowering.

I think that Mega Charizard X is more popular over in Japan and that is why it was chosen. If it was the other way round, Mega Charizard Y would get the same amount of complaints if Alain uses it the same way as before. I admit that I like X more than Y.

It's so obviously the poster child for Mega Evolution as a whole.

Pretty much. Despite Mega Charizard Y being revealed first, Mega Charizard X has clear favoritism from how it was revealed, being featured heavily on the Mega Evolution specials posters, being included in Super Smash Bros as a final Smash form along side Mega Lucario and Greninja and crushing everything in its wake after Act IV. It does kind of make sense why they'd chose Mega Charizard X as the poster child for Mega Evolution given its popularity and a ton of people Charizard to be a Dragon type for ages, but you can still see how much attention and favoritism it gets compared to all of the other Mega Evolutions.

But, at last most trainers choosed Mega Kangaskhan during the VGC tournaments. Haha..

Alain's Mega Charizard X was made to be overpowering so the viewers would know that Alain is trying to be the strongest and never to lose again. Did they went a bit overboard? Maybe but in the end Alain and his Charizard was created to be a powerful force in the show. As for Red, that was based on the game version who starts out his journey in Kanto and complete the pokedex while collecting gym battles and becoming champion. Giovanni in the Origins had brutally defeated Red in Siph Co so Red is far from overpowering.

I think that Mega Charizard X is more popular over in Japan and that is why it was chosen. If it was the other way round, Mega Charizard Y would get the same amount of complaints if Alain uses it the same way as before. I admit that I like X more than Y.

It is one thing to be OP, and quite another to be able to defeat 10 mega Pokemon without even healing! It defeated even elite 4's mega after taking lots of damage, plus Houndoom had the Flash-Fire advantage.

But, at last most trainers choosed Mega Kangaskhan during the VGC tournaments. Haha..

That's because of Parental Bond. If Mega Charizard X had Levitate, I could see it being used much more than now.

It is one thing to be OP, and quite another to be able to defeat 10 mega Pokemon without even healing! It defeated even elite 4's mega after taking lots of damage, plus Houndoom had the Flash-Fire advantage.
It could be that the ten mega pokemon weren't as strong and experienced as Charizard. As for Houndoom, there is a theory that Malva purposely lost the battle and wasn't going at full strength. Even if Malva did her best, that was only one pokemon from her team and Charizard had Dragon Claw. Alain is suppose to be different to Ash including winning battles. But this is my opinion and I don't want to argue. Agree to disagree. I respect your opinion on the matter.

Charizard as a species alone is generally blessed by the anime. The one time it failed to have a strong showing was when Ash's Glalie took one out in the Hoenn league. But as for Charizard X, it's uberly popular everywhere. The only time Charizard Y shines (and not nearly as much now) is the VGC format, since in Doubles it's Drought is helpful. Zard X has Origins, the Mega Specials, Smash, Pokken Tournament, and is owned by X in the Pokemon Special Manga. It's Dragon typing and Tough Claws ability make it one heck of an opponent and it's generous movepool makes it nearly difficult to straight up counter.

I will agree. Charizard is already a heavily favored pokemon, and then they gave it the one thing the fandom has been wanting for it ever since the beginning. They knew what they were doing. It's the same story as everything else they've favored over the years. It's just the way they work. I love Mega Char X too, but not even I wanted it to have this much attention.

I didn't fancy Mega Charizard X too much, but I was okay with it. Now, I kind of wish it would go away and give me a break. It's extra annoying for me because I love Mega Charizard Y, and I even used one in my first Y play-through. I've been waiting and waiting to see it appear in the anime or specials, and when it finally did, it didn't even do anything. :unsure:

So we're gonna give Pikachu a free pass for Killing 2 pseudos because "He's Ash's first and has experience", but deny that same pass to Charizard despite being Alan's first and also having experience?

It's not exclusive to Mega Charizard X. It's Mega Evolution in general. It receives far too much attention and is incredibly (laughably, even) overrated. Even then, I give the same status to Pikachu. So what if he's the mascot of the franchise? He leaves other Pokémon in the thick dust miles away and takes all the fame.

Really, I wouldn't be half as bothered by this if Charizard didn't have another Mega Evolution that suffered as a direct result of this favouritism. Mega Charizard Y's first anime appearance resulted in a depressingly short lost battle against its more famous counterpart.

And here I thought they'd never treat a Pokémon worse than Raichu. At least Surge and Sho's ones got some good hits on Pikachu before they lost...

Charizard as a species alone is generally blessed by the anime. The one time it failed to have a strong showing was when Ash's Glalie took one out in the Hoenn league.
There was one other time; Ash's Charizard took a dive against Brandon.

I didn't fancy Mega Charizard X too much, but I was okay with it. Now, I kind of wish it would go away and give me a break. It's extra annoying for me because I love Mega Charizard Y, and I even used one in my first Y play-through. I've been waiting and waiting to see it appear in the anime or specials, and when it finally did, it didn't even do anything. :unsure:
I'm in the same boat. I got Charizard Y and I liked him a lot--unlike X he looks more like an powered up version of the regular with the same colours and not changing type soley to become more useful by dropping the 4x rock weakness. But Y's only role in the anime is to show how great Zard X is.

So we're gonna give Pikachu a free pass for Killing 2 pseudos because "He's Ash's first and has experience", but deny that same pass to Charizard despite being Alan's first and also having experience?
Pikachu hasn't won ten fights back to back that ended with an Elite Four member.

Edit
Gengarzilla said:
And here I thought they'd never treat a Pokémon worse than Raichu. At least Surge and Sho's ones got some good hits on Pikachu before they lost...
Yeah. We at least had a nice Raichu save the day in DP. Maybe Zard Y will get something later on...

Last edited:
I did forget the Brandon battle, but while they cheesed Charizard in that match, it allowed Bulbasaur and Squirtle the chance to shine for a change, because Charizard was always Ash's second go to Pokemon as a Charmander till it stopped obey him. It's not too hard to understand why Charizard is popular, but at the same time it is amazing how it's popularity has withstood the test of time (at least the last 20 years). I myself like the species, it's just cool to me I guess.

Those guys were even allowed to win their initial battles too... Pikachu couldn't wreck till it got motivated. But something about that puzzles me (I'll save that for a different time, this is the Zard thread)

Charizard itself was already popular to begin with, and Mega Charizard X was the choice because it gained the Dragon-type - which was demanded for a long time. It's given special treatment because it sells.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom