• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution/Form Dex Entries?

Would you like Mega Evolutions/Forms to get their own flavor texts?

• Yes

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

The Outrage

Reaction score
Currently, you can change the sprite that appears on your Pokedex to one of the Pokemon's alternate forms or Mega Evolutions. This sprite change is accompanied with the dex information regarding its height, weight, and type being updated, but the entry's flavor text remains unchanged. Who would actually want to see the flavor text updated as well? We're not adding a new entry, just updating the page for each form/Mega.

If you recall, when Mega Evolutions were released, the official XY website had a page dedicated to them and even had interesting tidbits about the Pokemon--however, it seems like a lot of people are unaware of this since this information isn't cataloged anywhere else. One of the more interesting ones I've found was for Mega Gengar:

Mega Gengar's unblinking third eye allows it to see into other dimensions

Given that ORAS has established that it, and XY, are in a separate universe with Mega Evolution, and Zinnia is looking for a way to reunite with Aster, Mega Gengar could actually play an interesting role in future games if Game Freak paid attention to these texts.

Interestingly, Gengar's third eye also looks like Hoopa Unbound's third eye

Last edited:
Even if I weren't a complete sucker for Pokémon lore and character detail, I wouldn't see any reason for not including these texts. They help give the Mega Evolutions a little more identity, which helps to push them past being just cheap power-ups.

That is an interesting insight about Mega Gengar, but I don't know if I could see it becoming plot-relevant... maybe in a minor way, like if Zinnia were seen using a Mega Gengar in order to search through other realities for Aster.

Hm. Suddenly I find myself even more curious about the nature of Dialga and Palkia's inevitable upgrades, since they too are both really spacey-wacey, and dimension-oriented.

I think if Game Freak made them with flavor texts in mind, we might also get better designs. A lot of the early release Mega Evolutions (Lucario, Ampharos, Absol) basically have stuff like "it grew hair and stripes from the power of Mega Evolution!". Okay, so Lucario's might be a bit better because its markings are supposedly a map of its aura flow but still--so many have text like "[insert appendage] sprouted from the excess power of Mega Evolution!"

In terms of Form Changes, we really don't know much about things like Shaymin's Sky form

In terms of Form Changes, we really don't know much about things like Shaymin's Sky form
Shaymin's HGSS entry: "The blooming of Gracidea flowers confers the power of flight upon it. Feelings of gratitude are the message it delivers."

I doubt that a separate entry just for the Forme would be much different.

I think if Game Freak made them with flavor texts in mind, we might also get better designs. A lot of the early release Mega Evolutions (Lucario, Ampharos, Absol) basically have stuff like "it grew hair and stripes from the power of Mega Evolution!". Okay, so Lucario's might be a bit better because its markings are supposedly a map of its aura flow but still--so many have text like "[insert appendage] sprouted from the excess power of Mega Evolution!"

I agree. Although I think they did see some improvement (some; a fair number of them still just add extra appendages, though) with ORAS's Mega Evolutions. But did they do flavor text entries for those on the site as well? I vaguely recall reading one for Mega Sharpedo saying that it could constantly regenerate the spikes that it doesn't have on its snout, but that's all I can remember.

We did get a helping of some interesting Arceus mythology regarding the Plates from the Azure Flute Hiker microplot... but then that event was never given out, so.

Shaymin, yeah, you're right. We don't know much about that one. And I think Meloetta is in the same boat, isn't it?

The Kami trio have been touched on a bit through in-game events. Or at least, a few NPCs have questioned which of their Formes are their true appearances, which I think is interesting.

Keldeo got something like what you are referring to, but it isn't much:

When it is resolute, its body fills with power and it becomes swifter. Its jumps are then too fast to follow.

... woo.

But did they do flavor text entries for those on the site as well? I vaguely recall reading one for Mega Sharpedo saying that it could constantly regenerate the spikes that it doesn't have on its snout, but that's all I can remember.

Yeah, the page still exists. Here it is: Omega Alpha

Click on the menu button and you can go to the individual mega pages, all of which have flavor text.

Shaymin's HGSS entry: "The blooming of Gracidea flowers confers the power of flight upon it. Feelings of gratitude are the message it delivers."

I doubt that a separate entry just for the Forme would be much different.

I think all the forms introduced in new versions actually have the benefit of getting an entry tailored towards it, but things like Mega Evolutions don't get that benefit.

But did they do flavor text entries for those on the site as well? I vaguely recall reading one for Mega Sharpedo saying that it could constantly regenerate the spikes that it doesn't have on its snout, but that's all I can remember.

Click on the menu button and you can go to the individual mega pages, all of which have flavor text.
The ORAS ones are actually much nicer since it opens up with the interesting tidbits

Ah, thanks. :)

Mega Glalie: The excessive energy from its Mega Evolution gushes out of its mouth, blasting away and destroying its jaw.

Good lord, Mega Glalie is hardcore

The more info we get, the better. I'm all for it.

Though it'd be great if they could do this for all form/e changes too, not just mega evolutions.

obviously, but I really just want more flavor text in general

the pokedex is a piece of shit

This. Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald gave us what seemed like a small paragraph (in reality, like two sentences if you look at any Pokémon's page) and after that, they went back to one short sentence. And also, they've been recycling entries since Generation 3. It's extremely stupid and there's no point in making us collect entries for older Pokémon if they contribute nothing new to the lore of said Pokémon.

I'm 100% here for each individual Pokémon, Forme, Mega and Primal getting its own lore. And while they're at it, bring back Spiky-Eared Pichu, she was cute.

obviously, but I really just want more flavor text in general

the pokedex is a piece of shit

No kidding! Abra's entries are literally filled with nothing but blurbs about it sleeping and teleporting. Thanks, Game Freak. After what felt like the millionth time reading that kind of information, I kind of get it. It would be nice to read more about the different Pokemon species instead of getting the same copy/pasted text over and over or different text with the same information.

I'd totally love it if they introduce some kind of "forms dex", similar to the "Unown dex" thing back in Crystal, but with more info and including ALL the Pokémon who got different forms. They could give it to the player sometime during gameplay as an update to the Pokédex and make it like an extra Pokédex-related goal. Instead of just region dex and national dex, now we'd need to complete the forms dex too.
They could have it split into a few categories like megas/primals/permanent forms/form changes/gender difference... (well, I'd say shiny too but expecting anyone to complete a shiny dex would be ridiculous)
With the crazy amount of different forms we're getting these days (megas are really just "forms" under a cool name and shared activation method) you'd imagine they'd do that already...
It also bothers me that the current Pokédex doesn't even register certain forms like the Furfrou ones...

I'd totally love it if they introduce some kind of "forms dex", similar to the "Unown dex" thing back in Crystal, but with more info and including ALL the Pokémon who got different forms. They could give it to the player sometime during gameplay as an update to the Pokédex and make it like an extra Pokédex-related goal. Instead of just region dex and national dex, now we'd need to complete the forms dex too.
They could have it split into a few categories like megas/primals/permanent forms/form changes/gender difference... (well, I'd say shiny too but expecting anyone to complete a shiny dex would be ridiculous)
With the crazy amount of different forms we're getting these days (megas are really just "forms" under a cool name and shared activation method) you'd imagine they'd do that already...
It also bothers me that the current Pokédex doesn't even register certain forms like the Furfrou ones...

Actually, according to Bulbapedia, the XY Pokédex doesn't recognize the Arceus, Genesect and Furfrou forms, but the ORAS one does. Unless Bulbapedia is wrong, but if it was someone would probably have noticed already.

I would love having separate or even a sentence's worth of info for Megas/Forms. It just seemed lazy that it wasn't implemented in XYORAS, especially when they were given little descriptions before release.
This is pretty random, but I remember someone mentioned before (possibly on another thread) that they didn't like how Mega stones were found in ORAS. I've recently begun to justify this is my head (lol). For example, the reason why you find the Alakazite at Slateport city Market may be because Alazakam (namely Abra to be specific), is know for teleportation, ect. Aerodactylite being found at Meteor Falls (relevance to the fact that it's a fossil), and then the others I believe they really did just try to scatter around; like the Mewtwonite Y being found at the Pokémon League (the only reason I can think of for that, is that it signifies strength, lol). Pretty random, but anyone else have some good reasonable info for where other Mega stones are scattered?

This is pretty random, but I remember someone mentioned before (possibly on another thread) that they didn't like how Mega stones were found in ORAS. I've recently begun to justify this is my head (lol). For example, the reason why you find the Alakazite at Slateport city Market may be because Alazakam (namely Abra to be specific), is know for teleportation, ect. Aerodactylite being found at Meteor Falls (relevance to the fact that it's a fossil), and then the others I believe they really did just try to scatter around; like the Mewtwonite Y being found at the Pokémon League (the only reason I can think of for that, is that it signifies strength, lol). Pretty random, but anyone else have some good reasonable info for where other Mega stones are scattered?

this is most certainly on topic

slowbro: found in shoal cave from old dude cause of shoal shells
steelix: found in granite cave, because is cave, and granite iirc has crystals in it
sableye: found in sootopolis because sableye is found in the caves, and the fact that it's a crater is somewhat reminiscent of mega sableye's chest hole?
glalie: snorunt is found in shoal cave, duh
lopunny: mauville, and lopunny strikes me as a domestic pokemon. Don't remember if the dude who gives you it is rich or what, could be a subtle reference to playboys
audino: looker: "audino what's going on"
zard x: fiery path is self explanatory
zard y: scorched slab cause, like, have you ever felt the sidewalk with your feet on really sunny days? Yeah.
blastoise: ss tidal is self explanatory, but I dunno if someone gives it to you or what
gyarados: in poochyena's mouth cause dat maw. Also it finally gets crunch lol.
ampharos: new mauville is self explanatory
scizor: bugs are found in petalburg woods, also it's one of the first places you can use cut
houndoom: lavaridge town, self explanatory
ttar: jagged pass cause rocks and because mega tyranitar looks jagged
gardevoir: wanda is wally's female cousin, p self explanatory also I want to believe there's some subtle fairly odd parents reference going on there
aggron: given by wanda's boyfriend after rocks are broken, is in cave and the "difficulty" of mining through the cave there is one rock in your way you fucking pussy rivals the difficulty of mining through...mega aggron
medicham: medicham is a supernatural pokemon, matches mount pyre even if it's not a ghost
manectric: cycling road cause dat speed, also a lot of the cyclists use electric mons and iirc electrike is found in the grass
banette: mt. pyre, self explanatory
garchomp: gift from aarune because he doesn't want the damn thing, being the butthurt flygon fanboy he is
abomasnow: in berry garden cause snover is said to grow berries, obama might too

that's all I got for nyow, everyfin else is even more self explanatory than these/plot related/etc

Edit: of my god you get gallade's mega stone from cozmo is it actually a goddamn fairly oddparents reference

Last edited:
It seems unlikely to me that this will happen, but I wouldn't mind it at all. I love more in-game trivia!

It irks me they don't count as alternate forms in the Pokedex, yet the Castform, Cherrim and co do.

Flavor Text for Megas? Oh yes. I would adore that. It would be so interesting to see! The only reason I can figure it hasn't been done (in universe) is because Megas aren't a wild pokemon, and they're probably too powerful to study in behavior; it would risk some heavy damage to a lab environment or even outside. If Tyranitar can bring down whole mountains just to make a nest, imagine what a mega Tyranitar would do! I would also love it for Forms; they seem to at least have something worth documenting, like a change in behavior, personality or power.

Which makes Professor Sycamore's research on Mega Evolution much more vital! I can see Sycamore going "Hey Kid I need your help with my research. I need you to use every Mega Evolution and get Data on them." sort of thing maybe in the middle of the game. And that's how you get Mega Evolution Flavor Text. That could also happen with Forms that way as well. The Forms wouldn't be so mandatory, but maybe you could get a special Enigma Berry or simply a bunch of unobtainable berries for completing it. For getting the data on all Megas (excluding the ones for event Legendaries) you could get a shiny or oval charm or some other cool thing.

Seems pretty unnecessary to me. If we're gonna put this much differences in Megas and other forms then they might as well be seperate Pokémon. Plus, who's willing to write dex entries for all 28 forms of Unown?

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom