• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution/Z-Moves Discussion Thread

They said "Faithful remakes" so I'm doubtful. Like it's too early to tell what they mean by faithful but the way they said that makes me think these mechanics may not show up.

I definitely don't expect Z-moves or Dynamax to show up since ingame it's stated to be something unique to Alola and Galar, which is fine. I like that both regions have something to call their own.

Megas however I think we got spoiled with when we got more in ORAS and that they continued into Alola and even let's go. So this has the best chance of coming into play and I would like to see them come back especially if the sinnoh starters and few sinnoh pokemon got megas. But again I'm very suspicious of the word faithful and I definitely want to get more info

I don't think it's impossible for Megas to make an appearance just because I didn't expect them in Let's Go but they did it. They seem to be the most universal of the bunch. I don't think it's very likely though given that these seem to be the most close to the original remakes we've ever seen. But you never know.

Z-moves...just doesn't seem likely to me. I doubt Dynamax will show up in a game in this style either.

Problem is this: They want to stay faithful to the OG games.

Including Mega's means altering the story (Which means it doesn't stay faithful) somewhat, just like they altered it with ORAS.

I say them wanting to stay faithful to the games, has killed any possibility of battle mechanics (Mega's, Z-Moves and Dynamax) in the Sinnoh temakes.

Problem is this: They want to stay faithful to the OG games.

Including Mega's means altering the story (Which means it doesn't stay faithful) somewhat, just like they altered it with ORAS.

I say them wanting to stay faithful to the games, has killed any possibility of battle mechanics (Mega's, Z-Moves and Dynamax) in the Sinnoh temakes.
As I said, that comment was very vague.

I think Z-Moves and Dynamax are too closely tied to Alola and Galar, respectively. Mega Evolution, however, hasn't only appeared in Kalos, but also Hoenn, Alola, and Kanto (as well as numerous spin-offs). I think it's pretty likely it'll be available in this game too, but probably only after the main story, once you reach the Battle Zone. I don't expect new Mega Evolutions, though, but obviously I would be happy to be proven wrong.

I think Z-Moves and Dynamax are too closely tied to Alola and Galar, respectively. Mega Evolution, however, hasn't only appeared in Kalos, but also Hoenn, Alola, and Kanto (as well as numerous spin-offs). I think it's pretty likely it'll be available in this game too, but probably only after the main story, once you reach the Battle Zone. I don't expect new Mega Evolutions, though, but obviously I would be happy to be proven wrong.
I do think that Megas might come back as even LGPE had them.

Mega Evolution I'd say has a 50/50 shot. It can be dropped in with no fanfare very easily, and doesn't interfere with much of the existing DP outline. Some schmuck hands you a magic rock and says "Now you can Mega Evolve your mons! Have fun!" and that's pretty much the end of it. Cynthia doesn't have to whip out Mega Gar until the post-game.

Z-Moves no, Dynamax no (lol can you imagine it with this visual scale? It'd be a complete mess)

I'm not expecting them to return nor do I want them to. I was never a fan of them and if anything I'm sure Gamefreak will shoehorn Dynamax into these games just to tie everything in Gen 8 together.

I doubt they'll be back. Honestly, I'd be fine either way tho.
Well, Megas are in all recent main series games except for Sword and Shield. Even LGPE had them, despite those games lacking held items. They're even being added to GO.

Mega Evolution could come back, but to be honest I don't want it to. Not for these games; Sinnoh already has plenty of lore as it is - a contrived retcon where we inexplicably get handed a Mega Evolution ring/bracelet/charm along with stone will feel like an afterthought.

It occurs to me that if Z-Moves or Dynamax were going to be available here (or in Legends, for that matter), then surely the protagonists would be wearing the relevant gadgets on their wrists in the official artwork?

Like, I know I always say that GF can retcon whatever they want with a simple stroke of a pen, and that’s still true here, of course, but realistically speaking, it’s obvious that in comparison to Mega Evolution, Z-Moves and Dynamax put a much stronger emphasis on their wearable gadgets. Literally all characters in SwSh who can Dynamax have an identical Dynamax Band. Same for the major characters in the Alola games with their Z-Rings. So if either of those mechanics are present in BDSP or Legends, then either 1) they’ve decided to start obfuscating the presence of the wearables on the protagonists’ artwork (which they could, but have yet to, do), or 2) they’ve come up with new lore for how those mechanics can be executed without their signature devices (which seems very unlikely to me - after all, even with ORAS’s retcons in mind, they didn’t change *how* Mega Evolution works, they simply altered some historical details.)

Mega Evolution on the other hand could slot in just as it did in LGPE. All you need for Mega Evolution is a Key Stone - it doesn’t even have to be attached to something, and there’ve been several characters by now who use Mega Evolution without a visible Key Stone. Presumably it’s in their pocket or something.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom